You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why go to Irish bars on away trips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why go to Irish bars on away trips?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:32am
One thing that has always baffled me about the YBIG Universe and the Class of 88 is a lot of you seem to just spend your days and nights abroad in Irish bars. Whether it's Tbilisi, Skopje, Vienna or wherever. What's the point in it all after travelling all that way to a new culture and country only to experience something you can back home? Would you not prefer to go to local bars instead of standing in a sweatbox wearing the same sweaty jersey full of Irish fans for three nights straight singing the Gary Breen song.
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:44am
I don't personally.

It's a good meetup point, find a few lads from YBIG or meetup before the match but afterwards I hit the bars and nightclubs. Thumbs Up

Like in Faro I'll probably end up in Erin's Isle at the start then spend 90% of my time on the strip 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:45am
I have never experienced Tbilisi Irish bar at home

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I don't personally.

It's a good meetup point, find a few lads from YBIG or meetup before the match but afterwards I hit the bars and nightclubs. Thumbs Up

Like in Faro I'll probably end up in Erin's Isle at the start then spend 90% of my time on the strip 

A good few from YBIG and Class of 88 seemed to just spend their time with each other in te Hangar or McLarens. Any time i walked by it was the same lads there. Same in Skopje
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:48am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I don't personally.

A good few from YBIG and Class of 88 seemed to just spend their time with each other in te Hangar or McLarens. Any time i walked by it was the same lads there. Same in Skopje
The only time I would get to meet up with a lot of lads I know are away trips. These are people I've met since going to away trips. Even home games I wouldn't meet them as they drink in various places/sit in diff sections etc. The odd away trip is ideal and always a good catch up. I know I'll be drinking with good lads, having great craic etc. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:59am
always check out the Irish bars if their good and not a rip off I usually settle in for a few if the craic is good like MacLarens was ill stay if not ill wander around and check out the locals spots. As sham says its great to meet up with friends from all over the world that I don't meet at the home games.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I don't personally.

The only time I would get to meet up with a lot of lads I know are away trips. These are people I've met since going to away trips. Even home games I wouldn't meet them as they drink in various places/sit in diff sections etc. The odd away trip is ideal and always a good catch up. I know I'll be drinking with good lads, having great craic etc. 
ThisHugBeer
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:03am
It would seem that the "Irish" themed pub is extremely popular world wide, most likely there are perceived as a venue for much merriment and joviality.

On away football trips they are seen the focal point for meet-ups but can ultimately become the central drinking area for the duration. There is also a sense of reassurance in the "safety in numbers" herd mentality especially for the less adventurous.

Football trips are somewhat different to regular holidays in that they are generally much shorter and have two main focuses - the match and the craic. And to be honest weekday nights in some European cities can be a bit slow......

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 29 Jul 2015 at 10:06am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

This

You go were the craic is. Doesn't have to be an Irish bar but more than likely thats where you can expect a good crowd and lively banter.

I'd normally start off in an Irish bar and then find out where the action is. 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

It would seem that the "Irish" themed pub is extremely popular world wide, most likely there are perceived as a venue for much merriment and joviality.

On away football trips they are seen the focal point for meet-ups but can ultimately become the central drinking area for the duration. There is also a sense of reassurance in the "safety in numbers" herd mentality especially for the less adventurous.

Football trips are somewhat different to regular holidays in that they are generally much shorter and have two main focuses - the match and the craic.   

I'm not so sure about that one, I don't even remember the matches the next day - Whether because I was that drunk or because the matches were that bad remains to be seen LOLBeer
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

This

You go were the craic is. Doesn't have to be an Irish bar but more than likely thats where you can expect a good crowd and lively banter.

I'd normally start off in an Irish bar and then find out where the action is. 

Nail on the head here - Go where the craic is. Sometimes this is an Irish bar, sometimes it isn't. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:25am

I don't personally.

See Ab! That is cultural awareness   
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:36am
I remember going all the way to Moscow to get up in the morning and go to an Irish bar to watch the GAA and hurling all day

Edited by horsebox - 29 Jul 2015 at 10:38am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:49am
for an away game i don't see the harm in it as you'll only having a few before the match and catching up with old faces. i have some great pre-game memories from irish boozers all over europe. It does baffle me seeing irish folk on holiday going into irish pubs, especially with the mrs in tow. and wearing gaa tops on holiday... Never quiet understood that. 
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I remember going all the way to Moscow to get up in the morning and go to an Irish bar to watch the GAA and hurling all day

silvers?
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:52am
A bit off topic but even on lads weekend away trips there seems to be this draw of going to the Irish Bar . We were in Frankfurt for a stag and some of the group ended up in O' Reillys . They had cider and a pool table and couldn't have given a fcuk if the world was gonna end outside
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:53am
I can understand it on an away trip but a weekend away? A waste
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:58am
Personally, I usually stay around the hotel probably why most haven't met me. 

Next day do some exploring see whats about the guys that come with me sort of do the same, not a big drinker personally. I'd rather see about the city find some local spots and a good bit of grub.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic