You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why aren’t people going to horse races anymore?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why aren’t people going to horse races anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

You can only enjoy horse racing if you bet on every race you watch.  Absolutely pointless sport apart from that.  

Also why do the horses not get the trophy?  Why is the jockey congratulated?  They are only passengers.

Again, you've done your usual thing of projecting what you think on to everyone else.
Like last week when you said that nobody watches  cricket when you meant that you didn't watch cricket.

Funny that you say this as I work in the projection room in a cinema. 

Never met anyone that watches horse racing just for the sport itself and does'nt gamble on it.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:05am

You can only enjoy horse racing if you bet on every race you watch.  Absolutely pointless sport apart from that.  

Also why do the horses not get the trophy?  Why is the jockey congratulated?  They are only passengers.

Again, you've done your usual thing of projecting what you think on to everyone else.
Like last week when you said that nobody watches  cricket when you meant that you didn't watch cricket.

Funny that you say this as I work in the projection room in a cinema. 

Never met anyone that watches horse racing just for the sport itself and does'nt gamble on it.

Again, so you've not met these people so they don't exist?
There are a number of countries where horse racing takes place where gambling is illegal.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:15am
Horse racing would not exist in its current form without gambling.  That's not a sustainable sport IMO.

When broadcasters list lineups for races with horse names/numbers/jockeys without listing the odds, I'll change my mind.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Horse racing would not exist in its current form without gambling.  That's not a sustainable sport IMO.

When broadcasters list lineups for races with horse names/numbers/jockeys without listing the odds, I'll change my mind.

It would exist in a different form but I don't think anybody is saying it wouldn't exist in its current form without gambling. That's different to saying that nobody watches horse racing without gambling on every race which isn't true. 

Edited by Borussia - 05 Jul 2023 at 10:21am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:22am

It would exist in a different form but I don't think anybody is saying it wouldn't exist in its current form without gambling. That's different to saying that nobody watches horse racing without gambling on very race which isn't true. 

Go way outta that son.

Who watches the 3.30 from Kempton Park without betting!

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:24am

It would exist in a different form but I don't think anybody is saying it wouldn't exist in its current form without gambling. That's different to saying that nobody watches horse racing without gambling on very race which isn't true. 

Go way outta that son.

For the big races you'd have lots of people. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:27am

Go way outta that son.

The only people that watch horse racing without betting are too tight and just watch it hoping the people next to them lose their money.

Its a sport 100% connected and reliant on gambling and nobody would watch it otherwise. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:30am

Go way outta that son.

The only people that watch horse racing without betting are too tight and just watch it hoping the people next to them lose their money.

Its a sport 100% connected and reliant on gambling and nobody would watch it otherwise. 

Again, you are portraying your opinion as fact and also conflating two different topics 
I go racing with people who don't bet on every race.
I've family members who would only watch some of the big races and don't bet.
I've met people who own small shares in horses who don't gamble and are in it for the love of the game.
And nobody is claiming that the sport and gambling aren't related. 

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:31am
I'd say you would struggle to find anyone who watches it that does not have, at least, a very keen interest in gambling. They might not be betting on one particular race, but are watching it with a view to form, odds etc.

This is certainly the case for anyone I know who are into the horses.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:31am

Go way outta that son.

Again, you are portraying your opinion as fact and also conflating two different topics 
I've met people who own small shares in horses who don't gamble and are in it for the love of the game.

Ban them from gambling on any race and see if they still go.  You are flogging a dead horse here Gordon.

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:41am
There’s a great clip on YouTube from the Craig Doyle show years ago where John McCririck and Ruby Walsh are debating this topic and Ruby said he doesn’t care about the punters and he thinks racing would exist without betting and McCririck told him it would exist only by rich men racing their horses in their big estates and nobody watching. Ruby came across very badly and started acting very childish i recommend people have a look.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:43am

Go way outta that son.

Ban them from gambling on any race and see if they still go.  You are flogging a dead horse here Gordon.

Your original point was this "You can only enjoy horse racing if you bet on every race you watch." 
Now you are saying they can't bet on any race. Make up your mind. 

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 11:18am

Go way outta that son.

Your original point was this "You can only enjoy horse racing if you bet on every race you watch." 

He may be over exaggerating it a little bit he’s correct in essence what he’s saying! I don’t know one single person who watches horse racing without punting, it’s pretty pointless without gambling if we are being honest.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 11:19am

It's not like Mr Ed TJ as the horse will not make a speech 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 11:19am
I see horse racing Ireland are paying teachers who are influencers to put some of
Their content  on social media outline how they use horse racing Ireland resource in the class room.   

AKA pedantic kunt
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 11:27am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Go way outta that son.

He may be over exaggerating it a little bit he’s correct in essence what he’s saying! I don’t know one single person who watches horse racing without punting, it’s pretty pointless without gambling if we are being honest.

The point is that you may feel that way but not everyone does. They may be an minority but they still exist. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 2:34pm
I reckon it'd be similar to the point to point crowd, and the media coverage that goes with that
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

There’s a great clip on YouTube from the Craig Doyle show years ago where John McCririck and Ruby Walsh are debating this topic and Ruby said he doesn’t care about the punters and he thinks racing would exist without betting and McCririck told him it would exist only by rich men racing their horses in their big estates and nobody watching. Ruby came across very badly and started acting very childish i recommend people have a look.

Post up the youtube clip into this threadThumbs Up
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic