You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Germany the best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Many say it defined the German nation in the post War years.

PS Adidas had a large part to play in the victory, does anyone know how ?

Gary, tut tut - Hungarian Wunderteam ??? Always thought the Wunderteam was the Austrian team of the 30's.

Magical Magyars christened by the Brit press after the 6-3 win in Wembley when Hungary became the first non british country to beat England at home.

As regards the 1954 WC Final. Always smelt rotten to me. Hungary robbed - no way a so called Communist country would be allowed win the world cup.

They were the second, we were the first.
One
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Gary, tut tut - Hungarian Wunderteam ??? Always thought the Wunderteam was the Austrian team of the 30's.

Magical Magyars christened by the Brit press after the 6-3 win in Wembley when Hungary became the first non british country to beat England at home.

As regards the 1954 WC Final. Always smelt rotten to me. Hungary robbed - no way a so called Communist country would be allowed win the world cup.
First non-British team to beat England at Wembley, we beat them in Goodison prior to that.
Two
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

They were the second, we were the first.

Three
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm
Sorry lads, just clock watching on a Friday afternoon and having a bit of fun....think i'll go a pint bottle of Mcardles.
PM, you'll be glad to know that Mother Kelly's has reopened under a new name.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:32pm

Sorry lads, just clock watching on a Friday afternoon and having a bit of fun....think i'll go a pint bottle of Mcardles.
PM, you'll be glad to know that Mother Kelly's has reopened under a new name.
I doubt it is still a lunatic shop though! It was a mad spot.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Yes the 1954 Wirld Cup win did indeed define the German nation. Some say that Fritz Walter is the true father of modern Germany. It was that Wirld Cup win th gave A shattered and defeated nation back its self confidence and belief and kickstarted the economic miracle. If you ever visit the German Football Museum In Dortmund, you'll see fa huge section devoted to that 1954 World Cup win
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:13pm
It must've completely bamboozled them that we managed to get 4 points off them without our best player in both games last campaign.

Can't really warm to Low though. His sour-grapes reaction to our fortunate historic win made it all the sweeter Ireland sickened him.

Edited by irishmufc - 30 Jun 2017 at 10:16pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:16pm
Anyone else think that Jogi Löw looks like Cliff Richard?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

I can see that especially with the same thatched haircut
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

No
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It must've completely bamboozled them that we managed to get 4 points off them without our best player in both games last campaign.

Can't really warm to Low though. His sour-grapes reaction to our fortunate historic win made it all the sweeter Ireland sickened him.

TBH I wouldn't call his comments sour grapes.

It's not like we beat Germany by playing fantastically well and sometimes the underdog has it's day when they're fully deserving of victory! I don't think we could say that given how they dominated the game as you know.

The history books are what matters though Wink
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:45pm

From what I have read of it this was excessive, even for the time.

Up there with Gentile on Maradona and Zico in 82 ?

The Portugeuse and Hungarians on Pele in 66 ?
Yeah, that was the impression I got of it. Apparently he wasn't fully fit for that final, I don't think there is any footage of it though, unlike the others mentioned. 
On a slightly related note, when I come home after a few pints and throw on Maradona videos, I am still amazed by the punishment he received. As you said, Messi and Ronaldo have it easy!

There's about 40 minutes of it up on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNC0wwMbKo

A comment from one D.B.Cooper Smile says a week after the final all the Germans had to go into hospital? It turns out D.B comes from England and he gets sl*gged by German commenters who in German laugh at England losing to Iceland in the Euros.

Another comment says the Germans were all on Pervetin. The drug that produced incredible stamina that the NAZIS had most of the army on in WW2.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 01 Jul 2017 at 12:53am
Grubar View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 10:48am
Pervertin leaves me f**ked
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:11am
Why is there not a debate about the greatest football nation in history according to the original poster? Brazil have won the World Cup 5 times and produced way more iconic teams and players than Germany. You can hardly hold Germany's record in the Euros against Brazil! Also using success in the last 70 years as a benchmark is an odd number as all of Brazil's World Cup wins have occurred in that time span
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Yeah, that was the impression I got of it. Apparently he wasn't fully fit for that final, I don't think there is any footage of it though, unlike the others mentioned. 
On a slightly related note, when I come home after a few pints and throw on Maradona videos, I am still amazed by the punishment he received. As you said, Messi and Ronaldo have it easy!

A comment from one D.B.Cooper Smile says a week after the final all the Germans had to go into hospital? It turns out D.B comes from England and he gets sl*gged by German commenters who in German laugh at England losing to Iceland in the Euros.

Another comment says the Germans were all on Pervetin. The drug that produced incredible stamina that the NAZIS had most of the army on in WW2.

That's the final.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:29am

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

That's the final.

OH sorry,yeah the 8-3 group game.

Here's about 10 minutes of highlights. Probably not detailed enough to see Puskas being kicked black and blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjohMNXakHs

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Why is there not a debate about the greatest football nation in history according to the original poster? Brazil have won the World Cup 5 times and produced way more iconic teams and players than Germany. You can hardly hold Germany's record in the Euros against Brazil! Also using success in the last 70 years as a benchmark is an odd number as all of Brazil's World Cup wins have occurred in that time span

Correct.

Brazil are also the only country to have played in every World Cup and have won 8 Copa America's/South American Championships.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Correct.

Brazil are also the only country to have played in every World Cup and have won 8 Copa America's/South American Championships.

Yes Brazil have 8 Copa America titles.....out of 45 tournaments played.
Uruguay have 15, Argentina 14.

Out of 15 Euro Chmps, Germany have played in 12.
They didn't enter the first two and failed to qualify in 1968.
3 wins
6 semi's
9 quarter finals.

But WC's titles are the only barometer for measuring them against each other and it currently reads
Brazil 5
Germany 4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic