Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Germany the best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:45am
When I first saw the thread title the word 'mentality' came to mind. Subsequently Cabra Hoop summed up what I was going to type.

It isn't just the game of football that they are successful at, their success can be seen in every corner of German life. Sure they are by no means perfect but as humans they certainly use intelligence to continually strive for improvement.

We on the other hand are a bunch shysters
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

How do you explain Britain then ?
I can't, no-body can LOL

There always an exception, I suppose you could blame colonialism, the industrial revolution, immigration.

Little Englander mentality.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Germans are sticklers for rules and are very disciplined.  They believe in the collective whole rather than individual greed and have a very strong work ethic.

As for us we are me feiners, disregard rules, lack discipline, and like to cut corners.

It aint rocket science.  Any population with those characteristics will be a success.
There's a name for it - it's called Protestantism.

Look also at the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden Finland etc it's no coincidence.

Then look at the corruption in Ireland and Mediterranean countries - all Catholic.

Germany is 50/50 in relation to religion. 34% Catholic/Protestant. The richest part in the southern states being predominantly Catholic.

Netherlands is 31%, Catholic 21% Protestant.

Take your point about the Nordic countries.

When it comes to football the majority of great footballers Pele, Di Stefano, Maradona, Messi, Puskas, Garrincha, Sindelair etc. come from RC countries.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:56am
At times they need a wake up call , Lansdowne was one Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

When it comes to football the majority of great footballers Pele, Di Stefano, Maradona, Messi, Puskas, Garrincha, Sindelair etc. come from RC countries.
Very true and mostly from extreme poverty.

But great footballers don't always make great teams like the Germans always have.
Gunter Netzer hardly played in the 74 World Cup win.
Bernd Schuster another example of a talented player jettisoned for the greater good of the team.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:54am

The national psyche. Humility, determination and intelligence. Prepared to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to achieve as much as possible. Inherent desire as a nation not to be judged on sins of the past.
ClapClapClap

As I am 1/8th German, I totally agree with this.

Germans excel at everything.

Think of something, anything and most likely a German invented it.

Regarding football, their ability to start again with a clean slate after 1998 and 2000 tournament failures shows that they were not arrogant enough (like the English) to realise they needed to change.

You are 1/8 German,  do you support Tyrone ? have you recently had a rather large jeep ? Is your German heritage from Munich ? And the biggest ? of all is do you soar above everybody most days ?WinkLOL

Edited by DUBLIN DOC - 30 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:55am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

The national psyche. Humility, determination and intelligence. Prepared to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to achieve as much as possible. Inherent desire as a nation not to be judged on sins of the past.
ClapClapClap

Regarding football, their ability to start again with a clean slate after 1998 and 2000 tournament failures shows that they were not arrogant enough (like the English) to realise they needed to change.

You are 1/8 German,  do you support Tyrone ? have you recently had a rather large jeep ? Is your German heritage from Munich ? And the biggest ? of all is do you soar above everybody most days ?WinkLOL
LOL

I definitely think there is something in the German psyche that makes them better, it isn't arrogance but an innate self-belief that they will be the best if they put their mind to it. They will probably never produce a player  Cruyff, Platini, Maradona or Pele but they will still be in the reckoning at every major tournament. For those of you who enjoyed 'Das Reboot' I would recommend 'Tor!' by Ulrich Hesse(sp.) too. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

ClapClapClap

LOL

I definitely think there is something in the German psyche that makes them better, it isn't arrogance but an innate self-belief that they will be the best if they put their mind to it. They will probably never produce a player  Cruyff, Platini, Maradona or Pele but they will still be in the reckoning at every major tournament. For those of you who enjoyed 'Das Reboot' I would recommend 'Tor!' by Ulrich Hesse(sp.) too. 

Actually have that ordered, was recommended when I bought the Pep book
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:26pm
You will enjoy it, easily in my top ten football books. I understood them a lot more after reading it!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:27pm
Have a read of Lars Leese's book "The Keeper of Dreams" and compare the attitudes and lifestyles of English and non-English players.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:47pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Many say it defined the German nation in the post War years.

PS Adidas had a large part to play in the victory, does anyone know how ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

I also recommend the film 'The Miracle of Bern' (Das Wunder von Bern) telling the story of the fatherland's miracle victory over the Hungarian Wunderteam in the 1954 World Cup Final.

Wasn't it the screw-in stud? The Miracle of Bern is quality alright, although there is a lot of rumours that there was doping involved in that game.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:52pm

ClapClapClap

"Think of something, anything and most likely a German invented it"

Does bullsh*t count as an invention?   
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:53pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

They bribed the referee???
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Wasn't it the screw-in stud? The Miracle of Bern is quality alright, although there is a lot of rumours that there was doping involved in that game.
Yes, they prayed for rain as they were the only team with adidas's new screw-in studs.

The Hungarians claimed syringes were found in the changing rooms after the game but the Germans claimed it was just glucose or something innocent.

It is true that Puskas had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled offside which would have made it 3-3.

In the group game Hungary beat Germany 8-3 but the Germans rested a lot of players.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:13pm

DubDoc LOL

Yes read TOR years ago.

Yes, they prayed for rain as they were the only team with adidas's new screw-in studs.

The Hungarians claimed syringes were found in the changing rooms after the game but the Germans claimed it was just glucose or something innocent.

It is true that Puskas had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled offside which would have made it 3-3.

In the group game Hungary beat Germany 8-3 but the Germans rested a lot of players.

A reserve team that kicked Puskas up and down the pitch!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:27pm

A reserve team that kicked Puskas up and down the pitch!
It was a man's game then, Messi and CRonaldo wouldn't have lasted five minutes LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic