You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who's our biggest rival ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who's our biggest rival ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [60.00%]
22 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 8:35am
I can fully see why people do see them as bigger rivals though, just personally for me its England, everyone has their own opinion and reason. 
Sponsored Links

GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 8:31am
Originally posted by bmorgan87 bmorgan87 wrote:

being from the North.. biggest rivals will always be England..
as we support republic of ireland football team and dont really recognise northern ireland (norn iron-yea that is annoying)
its always been Us -v- England..
maybe its different for those down south..as they dont know much about the north..they think its just full of brits and that nobody in the place is Irish and i could go on and on..
but of course.. back on topic.. England will Always be or biggest rivals!
the 1995? game says it all.. and they have on record that there biggest ever win is against ireland (when ireland probaly sent a gaelic team out to play them)
but yeah..i always think of the Swiss because of the last few campaigns

well i wouldnt agree with you on that, as i know a lad from the north who supports the republic, and hates them more than england
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 8:16am
Originally posted by The Rovers The Rovers wrote:

Beating England for me would be far greater, dont care what anyone says, the history thing will always have some small part in it, it exists in other countries rivalries too. Of course its not the same for england, we never invaded them! They are huge country, in size and in football terms, were not so much. Dont be fooled into thinking that all english people cheer for us, theres many of them that dont. Our rivalry with England will always be number one, beating them would be almost better than 20 other victories put together for me, exaggeration but you know what i mean. Us and the north will be back to bein one country in future anyway

This is prolly for a different thread, but interestingly enough, we invaded them FIRST. As unbelievable as it sounds, it's ruddy true
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 8:14am
I still look back at Alan McGloughlin's goal with more delight than any against England. The pure hate and spite aimed toward us that niht was unbelievable. That's case closed for me also.

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 8:01am
Beating England for me would be far greater, dont care what anyone says, the history thing will always have some small part in it, it exists in other countries rivalries too. Of course its not the same for england, we never invaded them! They are huge country, in size and in football terms, were not so much. Dont be fooled into thinking that all english people cheer for us, theres many of them that dont. Our rivalry with England will always be number one, beating them would be almost better than 20 other victories put together for me, exaggeration but you know what i mean. Us and the north will be back to bein one country in future anyway
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 7:21am
Originally posted by herbie herbie wrote:

Originally posted by filthymcnasty filthymcnasty wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

english fans cheer for us to win , norn iron fans do not ,

case closed for me ...

Sot on.  Also, I could happily go along to Wembley and enjoy a game.  Not a problem.  I mix with English fans quite a bit at Everton games and never have any problems.  I wouldn't step foot in Windsor for a game for all the money in the world - any self-respecting Irishman who does (I know a few) needs their head looking at.
      HAVE u ever been to an eng/ire game outside ire ? well i have , and let me tell u it is not a very nice expreiance to be any where near them, i have witnessed an irish girl geting punched in the face at euro 88, irish fans attacked in dusseldorph euro 88, the filth & vile aimed at irish fans at euro 90, irish pub full of irish fans being attacked prior to match , wembley 91, fans attacked on tube on the way to same match, and all this from fans , who according to this fourm support & love us. If i can offer advice. if we ever play them, keep as far away from as possible,because they will draw u in and then turn on u like a knacker does.Every where they go they cause trouble, and there not fighting with themselves. BEWARE

The scumbag element among them do that to every team they play Herbie, it's not an exclusive club.

Northern Ireland are bigger rivals to us than England, based on our and their current position in world football. We would have equal hatred on both sides.
England don't give a sh*t about us, if they lost to us, it would be the same as when Northern Ireland bet them a few years ago, it was the nordies biggest day probably since they beat Spain in '82 but to England it was just a minor, although none the less embarrassing, blip on the way to qualification.
Scotland and Wales would say England are their biggest rivals too but England also couldn't give a sh*t about them either, rivalry has to go both ways ala Celtic v Rangers or Liverpool v United. Liverpool v Man City or United v Blackburn wouldn't be the same rivalry, even though the Man City or Blackburn fans would like to think it is and that's basically what our rivalry with England is, it's one sided. Ireland v the nordie is an equal hatred on both sides.
herbie View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 6:55am

case closed for me ...

Sot on.  Also, I could happily go along to Wembley and enjoy a game.  Not a problem.  I mix with English fans quite a bit at Everton games and never have any problems.  I wouldn't step foot in Windsor for a game for all the money in the world - any self-respecting Irishman who does (I know a few) needs their head looking at.
      HAVE u ever been to an eng/ire game outside ire ? well i have , and let me tell u it is not a very nice expreiance to be any where near them, i have witnessed an irish girl geting punched in the face at euro 88, irish fans attacked in dusseldorph euro 88, the filth & vile aimed at irish fans at euro 90, irish pub full of irish fans being attacked prior to match , wembley 91, fans attacked on tube on the way to same match, and all this from fans , who according to this fourm support & love us. If i can offer advice. if we ever play them, keep as far away from as possible,because they will draw u in and then turn on u like a knacker does.Every where they go they cause trouble, and there not fighting with themselves. BEWARE
"its the best trip iv ever been on"
filthymcnasty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filthymcnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

even if it involves your club? not much point in the setanta cup so

Sorry, I meant for an international game.
Going Green on November 14!!
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:58am
The rivalry with England is more of a friendly rivalry these days (even though I do like to see them beaten in everything they play).
The rivalry with N.Ireland seems to have alot more spite (and maybe even hatred) involved.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:54am
even if it involves your club? not much point in the setanta cup so
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filthymcnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:38am

case closed for me ...

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:21am

case closed for me ...

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filthymcnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:14am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

'Our Wee Country' for me.

I don't mind England that much.

Yeah well history in all that there is no point getting so worked up about that these days  but just their media, arrogant and scummish fans. You just always want to get one over them especially cause they think they'd beat us 'Paddy's' everyday of the week.

Don't get me wrong, I'd give anything to beat them.  And I certainly don't want to see them win anything or get close to doing so.  Mainly because of their media mind.

'Our Wee Country' (cringe) though, less said the better....

herbie View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:12am
Originally posted by bmorgan87 bmorgan87 wrote:

as we support republic of ireland football team and dont really recognise northern ireland (norn iron-yea that is annoying)
maybe its different for those down south..as they dont know much about the north..they think its just full of brits and that nobody in the place is Irish and i could go on and on..
the 1995? game says it all.. and they have on record that there biggest ever win is against ireland (when ireland probaly sent a gaelic team out to play them)
                                                                       I dont think ur being very complentary to "thoes down south" with the comment "they dont know much about the north"                                               
"its the best trip iv ever been on"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:01am
England without a doubt ,no contest, we will be one with the north in the future anyway.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 3:57am

Yeah well history in all that there is no point getting so worked up about that these days  but just their media, arrogant and scummish fans. You just always want to get one over them especially cause they think they'd beat us 'Paddy's' everyday of the week.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filthymcnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 3:55am

bmorgan87 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmorgan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 4:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic