You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where were you when you heard about 9/11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where were you when you heard about 9/11
    Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 4:00am
I was working on a hospital in Clonmel, when someone came in and said that a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers, I remember watching a snowy black and white portable tv and not believing what i was watching.
Say nothing till you hear more
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 4:12am
gaeilge class in drimnagh castle - tv brought into the classroom.

next morning we had irish first thing and we were asked to write an essay "An scéal is mó in ár linne?"

Edited by Saint Tom - 11 Sep 2011 at 4:13am
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 4:19am
In work at Gardiner Street Social Welfare Office, had just returned to me desk after lunch and we'd a telly in one of the training rooms, first time I saw the 2nd plane hitting the WTC, I just couldn't comprehend what I was seeing...........still can't quite believe what I see this morning on the news when they re-show it.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Plastic Bari View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic Bari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 4:34am
Leaving school to go home for lunch with McG and another lad, remember watching it on sky news
Twitter @VonBarracuda
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 4:40am
As it happened I was just after going back in to school after lunch. I remember about 20 past 2 walking down the hall to see the principal talking to about 3 or 4 teachers and them all saying "oh my god thats terrible".......thought nothing of it and carried on.
Got home at 4 and was greeted at the door by my mother who then told me of the whole situation.

In hindsight the school should have told us but as usual failed to do so.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:29am
Working in my old mans shop some old lad came in and said there was a fire in America
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:39am

Just came in the door from primary school was in 5th class at the time, all over the tv screens.

Edited by Guf10 - 11 Sep 2011 at 6:40am
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:40am
I was dropping into the hotel I was working in at the time to check me hours or something when I was greeted by the shocked faces of the locals and whoever was on the bar. I thought they were joking when they told me a plane had crashed into the Two Towers but I soon found myself in the same boat as I watched the second tower get hit. I never want to experience that feeling of shock/fear/panic that I felt that day again, I honestly thought that was it. I had convinced myself that Bush and his cronies were going to start WWIII and the world would end! Thinking back that was a bit silly but I'm sure I wasn't the only one at the time who thought the same!
Babysis View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:58am
Was working in the offices of a big irish construction firm in London. Calls started coming through so we took a risk and logged onto the one pc with Internet access that was never allowed to used, to see what we could find out. First footage I saw was walking home past a pub and like everyone else I just stood in the doorway in shock. The whole family watched sky news all that night, I still find it incredibly hard to comprehend.
First Commander-Galway Regatta
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 7:02am
was driving a fork truck
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 7:26am
same as guf, just home from primary school where my parents were watching it on the news in the kitchen
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 7:36am
Was watching neighbours at the time when they cut to live coverage, never did see the end of that episode.Angry
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 8:30am
Had just got out of school and got a lift home off the brother and he told me America was after being attacked
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 8:33am
Just clocking out of a  work shift, me mate roars at me to come down to canteen quick, a plane was after hitting one of the towers. Watched the 2nd one hit, then had to go visit the oul fella in hospital. Thats the thing I remember most, I've never seen an entire hospital quiet, every single person in every ward was silent, just staring at the TV. The footage is still powerfully shocking to this day.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 8:44am

Was geting me eyebrow pieced by this French one when the plane hit the Pentagon. We were listening to it on the radio.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 8:58am
Me and mrs newryrep were  out all day unaware and called into bar by the harbour in Puerto Rico (Canary Islands) - it was pretty quiet and happened to glance up at the TV. Pretty much starred at it for the next 3 hours as it replayed what had happened 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
TangyZizzle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TangyZizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 9:26am
Got off school early to go see my Granddad. Was forced to watch.. couldn't wait for it to end so I could watch Nickelodeon all day as per usual.
God save Ireland! said the heroes, God save Ireland said they all.Whether on the scaffold high or the battlefield we die,Oh what matter when for Erin dear we fall!

Dalyer - so good they sold it twice
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Was watching neighbours at the time when they cut to live coverage, never did see the end of that episode.Angry
+1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic