You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do we go from here? (Manager Poll)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Kenny in or Kenny out?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
84 [79.25%]
22 [20.75%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Same old story. Flat performance and, once again, conceded a goal right after half-time. Only thing we were missing was a long range screamer, but the Greeks kept missing the target!

Gave away another handball penalty as well.

We've had some moments under his reign when we looked to be turning the corner, but we never quite make it. All those 1-1 draws that kept us competitive over the years (against better teams) are now confidence crushing defeats.

It's been a very frustrating few years, and Kenny has had absolutely no luck in his time in charge, but it is really now time to move on and find someone new for the job.

Very noticeable that apart from Scotland, we have beaten virtually nobody of note in the last three years (and promptly lost to the Scots in the return leg).

The game in Glasgow was actually a decent performance, but we conceded a goal right after half-time and gave away a handball penalty!

It's weird how we keep conceding the same goals over and over!

For sure, but it indicates a team that is not particularly well set up - we keep conceding goals (or penalties) from generally poor play and defensive errors. A well coached team wouldn't be making all these mistakes.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Need to do something, it cant get any worse. A change now would give a new manager 6 games before the playoffs. It would make sense to do it sooner rather than later.

Yeah even at this stage I'd rather see O'Shea see the campaign out as caretaker manager rather than Kenny. At least there's a benefit of him seeing it out as you get a look at someone who well could be a future candidate.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:19pm
At a point though there has to be an acceptance that too many of our players are not good enough, and the development that we hoped for in 2018 and 2019 has never materialised. Its unfortunate that Brady, McCarthy and Coleman have suffered injuries, that Rice and Grealish have gone elsewhere, and that Duffy and Shane Long lost form before their time. However, you have to make do with what you have. This might mean that right now, pragmatism is the way forward, and that making us hard to beat should be the first goal.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:24pm
Unless there's a plan, in my view we may as well stick for now. Doesnt seem to have lost the dressing room, I dont see much to be gained by sacking him now. I'd still lean towards letting him see out the campaign. I dont think he is likely to turn it around, I just think a clean break post campaign would be better for all involved.
Idah Dream!
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:28pm
Hopefully the fans get behind the team and the manager on Monday night

Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Unless there's a plan, in my view we may as well stick for now. Doesnt seem to have lost the dressing room, I dont see much to be gained by sacking him now. I'd still lean towards letting him see out the campaign. I dont think he is likely to turn it around, I just think a clean break post campaign would be better for all involved.

While the playoffs are a distant dream, how in the world could you have any degree of confidence in this man if we were to make them?  In the off chance that we do, let's give the new man plenty of time to implement his system to give us a ray of hope.  With Kenny, we are hapless, hopeless, and looking helpless. It's over.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:31pm

John O'Shea for rest of campaign, SK and more importantly the fans need to be put out  of misery.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

While the playoffs are a distant dream, how in the world could you have any degree of confidence in this man if we were to make them?  In the off chance that we do, let's give the new man plenty of time to implement his system to give us a ray of hope.  With Kenny, we are hapless, hopeless, and looking helpless. It's over.

Yeah if they can actually go about replacing him then should happen to give a new manager game time in case we do make the play offs.

Other than that don't think there's any positive of giving him till the end of the campaign and see more positives in O'Shea as caretaker even.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:37pm

How can you suggest he can turn it around he can’t.

You said previously 12 or 13 would be considered to be a good campaign he would be lucky to 9 and could only get 6

He needs to go after Monday and have a new man in and have his team ready for a potential playoff and if not the start of the next campaign and God knows where our seeding will be then.

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:17am
Originally posted by SimonCox SimonCox wrote:

Hopefully the fans get behind the team and the manager on Monday night

They/we will, but if the performance is anything like last night the atmosphere will turn sour.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:19am
All remaining matches are glorified friendlies now.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:19am
No sign of steady progress in 3 years. 4 competitive wins. Must be the worst Irish manager ever in terms of win ratio
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:25am

Chris Wilder
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:27am
Tony Pulis. Or Sam Allardyce.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:27am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

All remaining matches are glorified friendlies now.

they matter for future seeding.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

No sign of steady progress in 3 years. 4 competitive wins. Must be the worst Irish manager ever in terms of win ratio

He should never have got this campaign tbf. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

It's not quite the same thing as they were guaranteed a playoff place, but Scotland were in a similar kind of position to where we are now this time four years ago when they sacked Alec McLeish and brought in Steve Clark. They were awful under McLeish and looked to be going nowhere, but Clark used the remaining group games to reform the team - they lost all four games to the top seeds in the group (Belgium and Russia) after he came in, but having used that time as a free hit to get his methods and tactics across to the team, he ended up qualifying them for the Euros through the playoffs. 

I don't think he would have done it if they had left McLeish in charge for the remaining group games. I know it's a long shot that we would achieve a similar turnaround here but similar to that I'd still advocate for making the change as soon as, rather than leaving a dead duck manager in post in a position that he's not going to come back from.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:33am
Not Hughton. Please
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic