You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When is the best time to purchase flights?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When is the best time to purchase flights?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 12:49pm
I've heard recently that the best time is now 6 weeks beforehand. It used to be, and I guess to a point that the earlier the better. 

There does seem to be a big fluctuation, the Scotland game been a good example. Two fellahs lost their place on the YBIG to Glasgow bus, they checked for flights and got them for €110. A few hours later they were 250+. 

There's a group of us going to Lisbon and obviously with lots of people checking the prices the last week it's gone up. 

Does anyone know that if you use skyscanner as opposed to the direct flight companies, is it a better way to check the prices as that info isn't shared with the airlines????
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
heyirish View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 1:11pm
Im sure I read/heard somewhere around 11 weeks out is about right to check particularly short haul. long haul is normally as early as possible
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 1:22pm
Sky scanner only good for long haul and finding which carrier does the route. Am turn between a few weeks in latin America, Africa or a few weeks on a train in April watching football
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 1:52pm
When is the best time to purchase flights......when you need to use a plane.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 1:54pm

Tuesday evening/Wednesday mornings

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
ParkLife View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:04pm
Skyscanner is handy if you set up the e-mail alerts.
They mail you any time the price goes up or down.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:25pm
Handy that, cheers parky
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:27pm

Now the wife travels a bit to the UK and when booking flights she finds it cheaper to book on her work PC then it is at home .

Look can't think why that is but all i can say she checks all the time at home so maybe the airlines can pick it up all the traffic coming from one address , i don't know . Love to know the ins and outs of budget travel airlines .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:31pm
4am
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Now the wife travels a bit to the UK and when booking flights she finds it cheaper to book on her work PC then it is at home .

Look can't think why that is but all i can say she checks all the time at home so maybe the airlines can pick it up all the traffic coming from one address , i don't know . Love to know the ins and outs of budget travel airlines .

It's cheaper because she uses the Work's credit card too.
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:51pm
Well, being perfectly honest, I was looking at flying to New York this weekend, and I searched flight prices yesterday and they were as cheap for this Friday as for any other Friday in the next four months, if not cheaper. Now, that may well be because the transatlantic leisure market is weak at this time of year but I have a feeling it is regularly like that. It was working out about €480 return to NYC flying with Air France via Paris, on their A380. I decided against it, ultimately.

For Ryanair and short haul flights, the best time is generally four to six weeks out, depending on the flight. There is an issue if you are looking to go at a time of either unexpected or unseasonal demand (e.g. for football matches) when it is often but not always better to book earlier. However, if you are looking to book general summer holiday flights or weekend away flights, and there is nothing special happening in your destination while you are away, then four to six weeks is usually ideal.

There are also usually cheap flights away from here when there are events on here - airlines have extra capacity to and from here. For example, if you want to get cheap flights to France, have a look at the weekend they are playing here in the six nations. There may very well be some cheap flights to France, especially rugby areas in the centre, over that weekend, especially if carriers (aka Ryanair) have put on extra capacity to bring people here, as there will be corresponding flights leaving here beforehand to go out to France and running round trips again afterwards, assuming they use airplanes based here.

There is little enough difference between checking on sky scanner and direct with the airlines. Either way, you will have cookies stored on your computer. What I would do, however, if possible, is one of the following: 1) delete cookies, 2) use a different browser or 3) browse prices from a different computer in a totally different location (e.g. use your work computer). Sometimes, airlines will see that you are looking up prices for a set weekend and then bump up the price they are charging you. If you take the above steps, it shouldn't be clear to them you are the same person, and you will get normal prices. If they are tracking your IP address, deleting cookies and changing browser or device won't work, but changing location will.

Also, be careful of the agents you see in skyscanner. Most of them are grand but make sure you do a little background research on them before just booking with the cheapest one. Sometimes, it can be worth an extra €5 or €10 per person just to have the certainty you get with booking direct with the airline.

Incidentally, you do know that skyscanner do a "search by whole month" option, right? That should let you see when the cheapest time to book flights is, in general. For instance, using that, I can see that the prices for *direct* return flights to Lisbon from Dublin, Friday to Sunday, are as follows over the next eight weeks:
This weekend: €328
Next weekend: €122
13th to 15th Feb: €132
20th to 22nd Feb: €149
27th Feb to 1st Mar: €104
6th to 8th Mar: €97
13th to 15th Mar: €132
20th to 22nd Mar: €114
27th to 29th Mar: €159
3rd to 5th April: €131 (Easter Sunday)
10th to 12th April: €126
17th to 19th April: €86
24th to 26th April: €104

Now, that doesn't take account of the fact some of those could be agency prices rather than ryanair direct (although I think they are Ryanair direct) and the fact some may involve mad flight times (the €97 involves a 7am departure from Dublin) but it generally demonstrates that about four to five weeks away may be the cheapest time to book.

It doesn't take account of seasonal demand at all though, so there is a flaw there. However, it does seem to show that the three weekends around Easter are all more expensive, which is to be expected, I suppose. Looking forward into May and the prices are similar though, so it is hard to know. If you are flexible as to which weekend you can take, you may be better to do that. In May, the range goes from €94 to €149, depending on which weekend away you take, so flexibility in that sense may well be the best way of getting the cheapest weekend away.

Either way, however, flights to Lisbon seem to be in a narrow enough range of €100 ish to €140 ish, so fretting about when to book is only going to save the cost of a taxi fare to the airport.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:54pm
Oh - there is one other thing. Airlines usually release seats on a Tuesday night at their cheapest, so Wednesday tends to be the best time to buy.

For whatever reason, people booking at weekends tend to have to pay a little more, so booking midweek is best.

This holds true in the US market so may not be applicable here (there has been research done in the US, but none here that I know of) but I doubt it will cost you anything extra if you book on a Wednesday here.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:58pm
Very well put SD...
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:58pm
Super Dave Travel limited

On a side note Dave, I want to go to the Malvinas via Ulaan Bator, any recommendations?
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 3:03pm
Had a bit of read on this too. Tuesday afternoon is the best time to book, although that data is mainly from the USA flights. 30 or so day beforehand is the cheapest time.

And yeah juts reading about the skyscanner watch list with the app. So I downloaded that this morning. 

Can you get the email alerts through the app or is that just through the site? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 3:06pm
http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/when-should-you-buy-your-airline-ticket-heres-what-our-data-has-to-say/

In terms of the Malvinas via Ulaan Bator, I suggest the train to Mongolia (use the man in seat 61's website for this), then another train on to Beijing, then Air China to Sao Paolo, a flight from there to Santiago in Chile (plenty on this route), and then LAN Airlines to the Falklands. In terms of when to book? It barely matters. You'll need three months off work anyway.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 29 Jan 2015 at 3:06pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 3:09pm
even the facetious is possible with Super Dave Travel
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 3:11pm
I recommend a transatlantic fishing trawler back to blighty, too, your only company an overweight trawlerman from Grimbsy named Nigel, who hasn't seen a shower or a woman since 1982.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic