You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What tv show/box set you watching ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 286>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

This Life was a excellent show.
Maybe I just 'get' British shows more, but the Yanks throw out a polished turd and market it and you can't move for some idiot telling ya about his latest 'box-set', it is great marketing. Maybe I am being harsh but a lot of it is bad television that wouldn't have got past a pilot 20 years ago.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Maybe I just 'get' British shows more, but the Yanks throw out a polished turd and market it and you can't move for some idiot telling ya about his latest 'box-set', it is great marketing. Maybe I am being harsh but a lot of it is bad television that wouldn't have got past a pilot 20 years ago.

Bang on. Telly back in the day was full of quality shows such as Manimal and Hardcastle and McCormack.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Bang on. Telly back in the day was full of quality shows such as Manimal and Hardcastle and McCormack.
Great use of 'shows' I have never even heard of deliberately undermine a point. They were probably all still less embarrassing than Homeland though!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:37pm

Great use of 'shows' I have never even heard of deliberately undermine a point. They were probably all still less embarrassing than Homeland though!

What's embarrassing about precious Homeland?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

What's embarrassing about precious Homeland?
All of it! The ridiculous premise, the terrible acting, the overuse of cliché and, worst of all, the script!   assume the writers are taking the piss but it would seem not. If it is meant as a comedy I would say it was genius, apparently it isn't though!

I think it has also been deliberately developed as a piece of cultural imperialism.

Edited by pre Madonna - 12 Apr 2017 at 2:51pm
Stretchryan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:54pm

Manimal was so bad it was good back in the day.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:59pm
I would absolutely love to watch Brookside again, what a show.
Gagsey, our Em and Jimmy the dealer.

I met Mick Johnson in a club a good few years ago in Manchester too
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

I had to look it up on Google there! At least it wasn't a piece of America (f**k yeah!) propoganda for the 21st century. Just a bit of harmless fun,I doubt I will watch that 'box-set' either though!
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 5:57pm

I had to look it up on Google there! At least it wasn't a piece of America (f**k yeah!) propoganda for the 21st century. Just a bit of harmless fun,I doubt I will watch that 'box-set' either though!

We had Rocky 4 for our american propaganda. And the soundtrack! "Two worlds collide there's no surrender.......is it east versus west or man against man". Chills. That's all i'm saying.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:18pm

We had Rocky 4 for our american propaganda. And the soundtrack! "Two worlds collide there's no surrender.......is it east versus west or man against man". Chills. That's all i'm saying.

There has always been propaganda, same as there as always been sh*te tv, the difference between previous sh*te tv and modern is that the modern 'box-sets' are marketing themselves as brilliant, clever and innovative  when they are every bit as bad as what went before.
Rocky was sh*te, and I have never watched a full one, but it was honest about being propaganda and didn't take itself seriously. Nobody sat next to you in the pub to tell how great he is because he watched a Rocky film, compare that with 'Homeland'.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:42pm

There has always been propaganda, same as there as always been sh*te tv, the difference between previous sh*te tv and modern is that the modern 'box-sets' are marketing themselves as brilliant, clever and innovative  when they are every bit as bad as what went before.
Rocky was sh*te, and I have never watched a full one, but it was honest about being propaganda and didn't take itself seriously. Nobody sat next to you in the pub to tell how great he is because he watched a Rocky film, compare that with 'Homeland'.

I don't really get your last sentence. That hardly happens? For what it's worth I watch homeland and enjoy it very much. I'm very aware though that it's a fictional tv show and i certainly don't take it too seriously or allow it to shape my views on anything. It's the same amongst my friends. I've certainly never heard any of them trying to big themselves up because they watch whatever tv show. Maybe it's because I'm a little older (40's).
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:55pm

I don't really get your last sentence. That hardly happens? For what it's worth I watch homeland and enjoy it very much. I'm very aware though that it's a fictional tv show and i certainly don't take it too seriously or allow it to shape my views on anything. It's the same amongst my friends. I've certainly never heard any of them trying to big themselves up because they watch whatever tv show. Maybe it's because I'm a little older (40's).
It very much does and I am in my 30s, and the reason I chose that pub was to avoid that sh*te, at least they know for future reference. It is certainly very common on other boards I am too. 
The propaganda aspect has been well discussed online too, both in the US where it is seen as liberal propaganda and by those elsewhere for its ridiculous and dangerous view of how US foreign policy needs to be dealt with and Islamophobia.
Your friends might be different as you chose them, I personally gave  mine up for acquaintancesLOL, but there is certainly a lot of 'box-set bores' out there.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:17pm

It very much does and I am in my 30s, and the reason I chose that pub was to avoid that sh*te, at least they know for future reference. It is certainly very common on other boards I am too. 
The propaganda aspect has been well discussed online too, both in the US where it is seen as liberal propaganda and by those elsewhere for its ridiculous and dangerous view of how US foreign policy needs to be dealt with and Islamophobia.
Your friends might be different as you chose them, I personally gave  mine up for acquaintancesLOL, but there is certainly a lot of 'box-set bores' out there.

To be fair, it's very easy to argue that almost any given show is trying to push whatever agenda by picking out moments that suit the argument that's being put forward. I'm not saying that it's not the case with Homeland. It's just more of a general point. I suppose I don't think too deeply about it as I mentally just put this stuff under the heading "entertainment".
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:32pm
Which would be exactly  the argument against, I am not going into it now and don't want to drag a thread anymore off topic, but all good propaganda, like all good marketing, is subliminal. In this case I don't even think it is that, look where they bought the original from sure! 
Anyway, enjoy it if ya want, whatever about it being propaganda it is bloody awful television.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:36pm

Which would be exactly  the argument against, I am not going into it now and don't want to drag a thread anymore off topic, but all good propaganda, like all good marketing, is subliminal. In this case I don't even think it is that, look where they bought the original from sure! 
Anyway, enjoy it if ya want, whatever about it being propaganda it is bloody awful television.

The leader is good the leader is great
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:37pm
Yvan eht nioj!
ccfcmurphy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfcmurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:54am
After years of not watching because it has dragons and fantasy stuff in it I finally gave Game Of Thrones a chance. 
10/10 so far Clap a long month of binge watching to come   
There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:35am
Fargo is back. Promising start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 286>
  Share Topic