You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What religion are you? - Census Form

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

You can leave the Church. My mother in law moved to COI (what's the f**king point if you're changing religion) and she wrote to the bishop. She got a letter back from the bishop saying she is no longer a member of the Catholic Church.

Myself, I try to get to Mass as often as I can and my daughter is making her communion next month. Now I've broken just about every rule the Church has but I'd consider myself a Catholic. I don't agree with the churches stance on a lot of things though. Maybe I'm a confused Catholic.

I just don't get this. If you disagree with a lot of what the church teaches then why continue your membership of this organisation? You can still be a Christian. Catholicism doesn't leave it up to your conscience, you either accept Catholic teaching and dogma or you don't. If you don't then the Catholic Church isn't for you. 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:23pm
C of I West Brit and proud of it.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:17pm
277,237 "No Religion on 2011

I expect that to be significantly higher this time round
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

You can leave the Church. My mother in law moved to COI (what's the f**king point if you're changing religion) and she wrote to the bishop. She got a letter back from the bishop saying she is no longer a member of the Catholic Church.

Myself, I try to get to Mass as often as I can and my daughter is making her communion next month. Now I've broken just about every rule the Church has but I'd consider myself a Catholic. I don't agree with the churches stance on a lot of things though. Maybe I'm a confused Catholic.

I just don't get this. If you disagree with a lot of what the church teaches then why continue your membership of this organisation? You can still be a Christian. Catholicism doesn't leave it up to your conscience, you either accept Catholic teaching and dogma or you don't. If you don't then the Catholic Church isn't for you. 

I don't believe in their views about homosexuality and celibacy for priests. There are plenty of priests who also don't agree with the Churches stance on these.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:44pm
Selected No religion myself.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:45pm
Q Man was struck off the list after going through the process. Posted the letters of correspondence on his FB. The bishop signed off with a "don't hesitate to contact should you ever wish to reverse your decision"
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:47pm
Curious though lads, those selecting no religion, any pressure to ever have a catholic ceremony for marriage? One of the semi main factors I went abroad for the job.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Selected No religion myself.

Same - Israel's Fionn Mac Cumhaill
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Curious though lads, those selecting no religion, any pressure to ever have a catholic ceremony for marriage? One of the semi main factors I went abroad for the job.

Did you have a secular ceremony McG? I only ask cos I wasn't there myself as I wasn't invited

Did you feel pressure to do the religious stuff?
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:52pm

Getting married in Kildare next March, my parents would be fairly religious so just told em out straight. The fiancées parents were grand.
We're very happy with our decision
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:54pm
Anyone who didn't put NO RELIGION is a f**king dimwit
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Did you have a secular ceremony McG? I only ask cos I wasn't there myself as I wasn't invited

Did you feel pressure to do the religious stuff?

Catholic ceremony Mark. The full works. The wife's family quite religious, mother in law gives out the Eucharist etc. But more than happy to do it as was in Spain and not associated with the church here.

Sent the invite and all

Edited by McG - 25 Apr 2016 at 10:57pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:03pm

I don't believe in their views about homosexuality and celibacy for priests. There are plenty of priests who also don't agree with the Churches stance on these.

Absolutely and it is bizarre that these guys are priests while holding these beliefs. 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:03pm
Did anyone write their football club in the other section?
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:10pm
I'm very hypocritical...teach religion on a daily basis in a catholic school but i dont believe and ticked no
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:25pm

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I'm like you and will also choose yes.

Just like if they asked am I a celt I would say yes. I don't act like the celts or believe in wherever celts believed in but it's my heritage and I'll always be a celt / roman Catholic. And the church doesn't represent the original religion anyway. It's strayed so far from its origins anyway. I choose the good from my religion and ignore the bad.

That's ridiculous. Sorry but you are not a Catholic if you ignore fundamental teachings of the Catholic Church just because you don't like them. You can of course still be a Christian. How many teachings of the Catholic Church can one reject before you are not a Catholic? If I don't believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist is literally the body and blood of Jesus can I still call myself a Catholic? If I like some of the teachings in the Catholic Church and implement them in my daily life but I don't actually believe in god, can I still call credibly call myself a Catholic? The Catholic Church is an organisation with rules that all members are expected to adhere to and if you reject many of these rules, which are often fundamental Catholic dogma, you cannot be credibly considered a member of that organisation. That is fundamentally different to what your genetic heritage is, you cannot change that. You can change what you choose to believe in. Now if course you can certainly be influenced by the Catholic Church and I would say that most of us are culturally Catholic whether we are believers or not. That still doesn't change the fact that if you reject fundamental teachings of the Catholic Church, you cannot credibly be considered a Catholic.

but i am a catholic. nobody literally believes or follows everything anyway. so are there almost none? technically i'd probably be described as a breakaway section of RC like the other breakaways of cristianity.

i follow the parts of it like being good to others, generous, honest etc and anything that's general good for people. I ignores stuff about sex, marriage etc and i'm divided on abortian. one one hand the woman should decide but on the other she's killing a life. if my mother chose that i wouldn't be here. 

then on the whole jesus and stuff like that. i'm pretty sure an actual jesus existed but i doubt he had magical powers. i beleive in the big bang, but who created the big bang? i dunno but f**k it if i die and my religion wasn't true it's no sweat. i don't stress over it, i do't go to church and as i said i just take the good things from it and apply it to everyday life. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:46pm
You doubt Jesus had magical powers so I take it from that that you don't believe he was the son of god? You're not even a Christian if that is the case.

You ignore the stuff you don't like but follow the stuff you do like so you pick and choose the bits of Catholicism that you you want to follow and ignore the other ones? Thats all well and good but that is not how being a member of an organised religion is supposed to work. In that case you can take bits and pieces from all organised religions and call yourself a member of all of them. You (and I don't mean you specifically, Im talking in general) don't really believe in it if you think certain beliefs are optional, they aren't if you a member of this club. 

The bits you point out that you like, being good to others, generous, honest, etc are all commendable but why do you need the Catholic Church to tell you this? Are you telling me if it wasn't for Catholicism you wouldn't be any of these things. I don't believe this would be the case and if it isn't, surely your need for the Catholic Church is redundant considering you ignore the bits you don't like?

Edited by the_walls - 25 Apr 2016 at 11:48pm
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:47pm
Clap Walls
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic