You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What makes Georgia weak at football?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote giorgi_kunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What makes Georgia weak at football?
    Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 5:10pm
Hello everyone,

I am Georgian guy and I am a big fan of Georgian football team. Throughout the Euro 2016 and World cup 2018 qualifiers, I admired the quality of the Irish team. They happen to have no top footballers yet they put a good fight in every game, including 1-0 Germany win. I congratulate every Irish fan on behalf of Georgian people for reaching the playoffs and hope you reach Russia. 

Near the end of Euro 2016 qualifiers, we narrowly lost at Germany's ground 2-1, to a great goal. Before the Euro 2016, we played a friendly against Spain, and the game finished 1-0 to Georgia, in their own home. This gave the Georgians great optimism ahead of World cup 2018 qualifiers, as it seemed like our team was on the rise.Now come World cup 2018 qualifiers, we have not won a single game throughout the qualifiers and only got 5 points. There are other teams on other groups, who have more points than us, yet they are losing games by 3-4 goals away at home, sometimes even at home. Georgia have not lost a game by more than 1 goal difference, yet we lost most of our games, albeit in a close margin. We are a unique team.

Against Ireland, at home, we had 74% possession with more shots, yet we drew. Yesterday, against Serbia, we had around 50% possession, yet we lost. Against Wales at home, we had 58% possession, yet we managed to lose. At Wales ground, we had 50% possession with more shots, yet we managed to draw. Even at Ireland's home, we had more possession with more shots, yet we lost that game too. 
We clearly are not a bad team, yet our results and standings appear very poor. There are teams, with much poorer standard of football in UEFA, that got more points than us. 

Our Irish brothers have regularly played against us and watched our games. What needs to improve at Georgia and what is making Georgia not get the results that they can achieve? Do Georgia need a new manager?
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:48am
Hi Giorgi,

Georgia have a lot of very technically proficient players however like Ireland you do seem to struggle for goals - as your stats above have suggested your team does not appear to be getting the results their performances deserve. Personally I am pretty stunned you ended up with only 5 points and no wins from our group! I am not sure about getting a new manager as the current guy appears to be very close to making a breakthrough for Georgia - as you pointed out the team is very rarely beaten by more than a single goal and has had great results like the Spain friendly etc.

One thing I have noticed from watching Georgia in your recent game vs Ireland and also in your recent game vs Wales is this however - you need to get a new goalkeeper! Loria made a really bad decision against us coming for a cross he didn't need to which led to our only goal. Then against Wales he displayed really poor handling to let Lawrence's shot in. If you had a better keeper you probably would have kept a clean sheet comfortably enough in both of those matches.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:18am
Loria didn't play against us it was Makaridze but I'd agree a better keeper and perhaps a clinical finisher.

Georgia have some as Dev said above technically proficient players like Qazaishvili , Ananidze and Okriashvili.

find yourself another Shota Arveladze and get them to feed him and you'll be very very dangerous.

Can see Georgia qualifying for Euro 2020 mind with the whole Nations League playoffs  as you be one the stronger teams in your group (as far as I know you are League D)
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:06am
I hope we never draw Georgia in the qualifiers again! Such an underrated team, who are realistically only one or two players away from qualifying for a Euro's / World Cup play-off.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:11pm
Hi Georgi, I raise my wine horn to you Wink 

Every Ireland will say that we have been really lucky against Georgia in most of the games we have played recently. And we are as puzzled as you are about your results.

The team definitely needs a striker, I also think it's all about momentum - say if you had started the group with a win then you could have pushed on to change some of those draws into wins. 

Without knowing too much of your manager, I saw enough from our games and the highlights to say he's got the team playing well, so maybe the next campaign will be the breakthrough. 

Wales and Northern Ireland had a terrible campaign under their managers O'Neill and Coleman but the next two campaigns were much better for them. Hopefully the same can happen for GeorgiaThumbs Up
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:41pm
Yeah I always hate playing Georgia, we were very lucky to get you in a neutral venue a few years back, and a few 1-0 wins at home in the past few years.

Ye just have to start climbing the ladder slowly, you'll be out of the bottom pots now, so hopefully can continue to move up one spot every campaign.

As someone said the Nations League should suit you perfect. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:16pm
Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia,
Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg,
Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta,
Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

So above is the teams who will be in League D

You'd have to imagine that none of those teams would qualify directly for Euros via qualifiers but I'd say Georgia would have a good chance of being one the best finishers earning them a playoff against with a chance of qualifying.

On a side note I've seen that Azerbaijan and Armenia can't be drawn in a group together what would happen if they ended up meeting in the playoff system would imagine they'd play game on a neutral venue? 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
Georgia are a neat passing team that should be doing better.

I think you need to tighten up your defence to start. You give away too many chances and never keep clean-sheets. You don't score enough goals, so you must defend better if you want to win games.

Your two worst results in the last couple of years have been a 3-0 defeat to Estonia and a 5-1 defeat to Romania. How can you do that and then defeat Spain - what is going on there?!

Competitively, you've got to find a way to turn those draws into wins, by any means necessary. Being in Pot 6 for tournament draws is a killer.

I don't know about your current manager, but I think someone like Brian Kerr would improve your side.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm

Giorgi I will tell you the secret you are looking for after the Euro 2020 draw as long as you aren't in it!

Firstly is this you?
Vladimír Weiss (footballer born 1964).jpgLOL

Seriously though good question, I think you lack a tiny bit of belief.  You haven't the history of beating teams of decent standard in Europe and so I don't feel there is that backlog of inner confidence that you can win games.  I think because of this lack of history of winning games against good opposition you have an inferiority complex.  Also your defence doesn't seem to keep many clean sheets. You always concede at least 1 goal per game. 

I think if Georgia can get the defence solid results will slowly come. Then if you pick up a win or two the belief and confidence will also come.  Belief systems are hard to break. You need a big result to give you that belief and break down that mental barrier. 

I think your time will come though to be around 3rd in groups. You just need a win or two and momentum shifts in your favour then.  Teams like Iceland or Northern Ireland show what is possible.  I think the first step is getting your defence better.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic