You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to the League Cup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to the League Cup
    Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:18am
What has happened to the League/EA Cup and why is it not back yet?  Can't find anything about why it hasn't returned yet, ridiculous that it hasn't been reinstated.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Sponsored Links

brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:42pm
Nothing official, but the story is that there's no appetite from the clubs.
Disappointing, as I really enjoyed it.  Perhaps if it was brought back as a pre-season cup like before, with regionalised groups to start it off, that could be more inviting to the clubs.
City Till I Die
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:38pm
Yes, I presume if the clubs wanted it back it would be back by now. Prize money was apparently quite low for it as well. With the increase in fans attending games maybe it would be worth trying again?
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 6:06pm
Does anyone care about a league cup though? Really. Especially in a small country and you have a handfull of teams in total anyway. League and FAI Cup i think serves us right. Throw in Europe for some teams. Its hard enough getting the fixtures we have played.
I love beer gardens
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:28pm
The games were mid week and only a handful of fans used to turn up. Costs for away games etc.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:35pm
Would have more Interest in attending a League Cup game than Leinster Cup game
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Would have more Interest in attending a League Cup game than Leinster Cup game

Newsflash they are both sh1te. 
I love beer gardens
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:45am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Does anyone care about a league cup though? Really. Especially in a small country and you have a handfull of teams in total anyway. League and FAI Cup i think serves us right. Throw in Europe for some teams. Its hard enough getting the fixtures we have played.
Yeah must say I've no time for it. We play the same teams enough as it is
Aaron1930 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron1930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:56am
I don't see there being any major desire for it to return. I think it was an inconvenience for all parties; organisers had to find sponsors, managers end up moaning about fixture congestion/travel, crowds were low midweek......and Waterford regularly got knocked out early doors. 

I have to say I like the Scottish League Cup format with group stages that begin pre-season. There's 8 groups of 5 teams based on the previous seasons' league table. Teams in Europe get byes so come in for the knockout stages. 2 teams from each of the 8 groups go through so you drop from 40 to 16 in no time and it's wrapped up before the 'business end' of the season. 

If we were to follow that style of format, I'd rather the groups were regionalised. You could add in your Junior/Intermediate/local (Premier) Cup champions into a regionalised group to add numbers if you wanted to bulk up numbers a bit. Could make for some decent games if you've got strong Junior sides coming up against First Division subs/19s and every team gets 4 games so you don't just get hammered in a one-off mismatch and you're gone.

Pie in the sky stuff if there's no backing for it, but maybe if crowds keep growing it could be worth revisiting at some stage.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Aaron1930 Aaron1930 wrote:

I don't see there being any major desire for it to return. I think it was an inconvenience for all parties; organisers had to find sponsors, managers end up moaning about fixture congestion/travel, crowds were low midweek......and Waterford regularly got knocked out early doors. 

I have to say I like the Scottish League Cup format with group stages that begin pre-season. There's 8 groups of 5 teams based on the previous seasons' league table. Teams in Europe get byes so come in for the knockout stages. 2 teams from each of the 8 groups go through so you drop from 40 to 16 in no time and it's wrapped up before the 'business end' of the season. 

If we were to follow that style of format, I'd rather the groups were regionalised. You could add in your Junior/Intermediate/local (Premier) Cup champions into a regionalised group to add numbers if you wanted to bulk up numbers a bit. Could make for some decent games if you've got strong Junior sides coming up against First Division subs/19s and every team gets 4 games so you don't just get hammered in a one-off mismatch and you're gone.

Pie in the sky stuff if there's no backing for it, but maybe if crowds keep growing it could be worth revisiting at some stage.

I was thinking similar myself last Autumn that the system for the Scottish league cup in preseason would be an interesting way to go. Sure most LOI regional teams just end up playing each other in preseason friendlies anyway. It would add a bit of competitiveness to those fixtures.
Great additional idea to the regional format idea.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:07am
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I was thinking similar myself last Autumn that the system for the Scottish league cup in preseason would be an interesting way to go. Sure most LOI regional teams just end up playing each other in preseason friendlies anyway. It would add a bit of competitiveness to those fixtures.

Pre-season? Regionalised? 
You mean like the Leinster Senior Cup and the Munster senior cup???
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Wouldn’t really be a league cup if non league junior teams were invited to join would it?
Aaron1930 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron1930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:15am

[QUOTE=darman28][QUOTE=Aaron1930]

Kind of like them, yes. A team can get knocked out of them after one game though. That's not all that great for them.

I like the idea of a group. Allows more games than the standard Cup format and you can quickly whittle the numbers down. In most regions you'll have a mix of LOI Premier, First Division, Senior League, Intermediate, Junior, even inter-league.
Aaron1930 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron1930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:17am
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

Wouldn’t really be a league cup if non league junior teams were invited to join would it?[/QUOTE]

Suppose it wouldn't. We'll worry about the name afterwards. That's a minor detail I'd have thoughtTongue
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:25am

Wouldn’t really be a league cup if non league junior teams were invited to join would it?

And that is true but what I was more getting it is there is a pre-season regionalised competition in Munster and Leinster and they aren't really taken too seriously.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 12:09pm

And that is true but what I was more getting it is there is a pre-season regionalised competition in Munster and Leinster and they aren't really taken too seriously.

If I remember correctly the league was played pre-season here in the 80's & maybe later. Groups of four with knockout stages later in the season.
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 8:41pm
Non league teams have often played in the league cup 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic