You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 75>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Has any one read Shoe Dog by Phil Knight? Started it last night but have heard mixed reviews.

Read it , highly recommend it one of the best books I read it last year 

Definitely worth sticking with it.I enjoyed it.

Finished this, was a great read. Very well written and some great stories about the early days of the brand and how it grew during the early days.

Yea the speed at which they grew was crazy 
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:55pm
Just finish The subtle art of not giving a f**k . Good read based around the approach that aways been positive will actually have a negative impact on your life in the long run 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:17pm

Just finish The subtle art of not giving a f**k . Good read based around the approach that aways been positive will actually have a negative impact on your life in the long run 
You deserve a medal if you finished it. It is the worst thing I have ever tried to read. I think the only thing I gave a f**k about when I was reading it, was finding him and hitting with a large halibut. He is living proof that anybody can get published these days. It reminded me of that 'Family Guy' episode where Peter gets a television slot on the news called 'Grinds My Gears' , or whatever it was. Self-indulgent, uninformed, smug, sexist and semi-literate; he is one of the true ****s of his generation.

I should also point out that this was me learning the hard way that you do not read a book based on the cover.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You deserve a medal if you finished it. It is the worst thing I have ever tried to read. I think the only thing I gave a f**k about when I was reading it, was finding him and hitting with a large halibut. He is living proof that anybody can get published these days. It reminded me of that 'Family Guy' episode where Peter gets a television slot on the news called 'Grinds My Gears' , or whatever it was. Self-indulgent, uninformed, smug, sexist and semi-literate; he is one of the true ****s of his generation.

I should also point out that this was me learning the hard way that you do not read a book based on the cover.

I actually thought it was an easy read Confused and enjoyed it . The last 10 pages was a bit of a ramble and probably could have been cut out . But it’s definitely not a book for everyone alright 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:32pm

I actually thought it was an easy read Confused and enjoyed it . The last 10 pages was a bit of a ramble and probably could have been cut out . But it’s definitely not a book for everyone alright 
It was an 'easy write', that's for sure! I only got about halfway through, normally I will finish any book, no matter how bad, but I have my limits! It is a book for ****s by a ****. 
I ripped my copy up and put it in the bin. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:50pm

It was an 'easy write', that's for sure! I only got about halfway through, normally I will finish any book, no matter how bad, but I have my limits! It is a book for ****s by a ****. 

Ive just started a season with Verona. Have you read that ? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 2:02pm

Yeah, I have read it more than once. He is a wonderful writer and that is a brilliant book.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:27pm

Yeah, I have read it more than once. He is a wonderful writer and that is a brilliant book.

Your not wrong . Missed two Luas stops I was so dig in to it 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:42pm
Starting the below today looking forward to it

Related image
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Starting the below today looking forward to it

Related image 
Let me know if it is any good. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:31pm

Haha without having read the book - I can imagine been in the PM camp here about it.

It reminds me of the one time I read a Ben Elton book (I had no particular beef against Ben Elton, I did find his piece to camera monologue comedy skits awful but anyway)  I only read the book and finished it out of pure hatred for him and his writing style. That was around 20 years ago and I still hate Ben Elton with a passion to this day.

I doubt any other author or book has ever brought on such emotions LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:40pm
Just a wee recommendation.

I've just finished - "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kenendy Toole.

Superb. Get yersel a copy now. Ignatius J. Reilly is a hero for us all to aspire to LOL

Haven't got round to reading any Flann O'Brien yet like I promised earlier but at some point this year I will definitely get round to him and looking forward too Thumbs Up

Will be re-reading "Dubliners" by James Joyce shortly. Wonderful book of short stories. When I eventually visit Dublin one day I'd like to do a tour of the books featured locations if such a thing exists ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 27 Mar 2019 at 7:40pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:47pm
Life in the Reich
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Life in the Reich

A book about working at the FAI   ? 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 2:27pm
Forward by Roger Milla
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

If you are keen on Irvine Welsh then I'd strongly recommend "Lanark: A Life in Four Books" by Alasdair Gray. One of the finest books you will ever read.

On the subject of good football books:

I loved Stan Matthews lengthy autobiography "The Way It Was". A wonderful account of English football from the 1930's to the 1960s. I'm not sure if it's still in print however. 

"Heroes are Forever: The Life and Times of Celtic Legend Jimmy McGrory" by John Cairney was another that I enjoyed. 

"My Search For Celtic's John" by Tom Greig is probably the best football book I've ever read. 

It's a biography of Celtic & Scotland goalkeeper John Thomson who died of injuries sustained in a tragic, freak accident during an Old Firm game in 1931 at the age of only 22. The research Mr Greig underwent was remarkable and the book is a wonderful tribute to Thomson. This is long out of print but there are always a couple of second hand copies available online. Highly recommended.
Picked up a copy of this today in the most delightful and eccentric bookshop I may ever have been in. It was a former train station that was axed by Beeching, turned into a house  that the downstairs and garden shed  were turned into a second-hand bookshop and pottery workshop.  When you want to pay you have to either ring an old station bell or  follow the owner around the garden, he then asked me if I could wait a minute as he suddenly remembered  Leeds were  losing, which I believe was terribly important and also a good thing.   He was also rocking the shorts, socks and sandals look that suggested he likes real ale and the Fairport Convention.  The English do a very peculiar type of lunacy. LOL
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 7:45am

Picked up a copy of this today in the most delightful and eccentric bookshop I may ever have been in. It was a former train station that was axed by Beeching, turned into a house  that the downstairs and garden shed  were turned into a second-hand bookshop and pottery workshop.  When you want to pay you have to either ring an old station bell or  follow the owner around the garden, he then asked me if I could wait a minute as he suddenly remembered  Leeds were  losing, which I believe was terribly important and also a good thing.   He was also rocking the shorts, socks and sandals look that suggested he likes real ale and the Fairport Convention.  The English do a very peculiar type of lunacy. LOL

Enjoy it, a lovely account of a vanished era of football. Thumbs Up 

Jimmy Johnstone always said that Matthews was his boyhood hero and greatly influenced his own playing style.

You ever been to the famous Voltaire & Rousseau second hand bookshop in Glasgow ? Delightfully glorious bohemian chaos, books everywhere on any subject you care to mention no matter how obscure. Brilliant shop. 

The owners (who are Catholics) told me a while back that at the height of The Troubles, Ian Paisley used to pop in whenever he was in Glasgow LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Enjoy it, a lovely account of a vanished era of football. Thumbs Up 

Jimmy Johnstone always said that Matthews was his boyhood hero and greatly influenced his own playing style.

You ever been to the famous Voltaire & Rousseau second hand bookshop in Glasgow ? Delightfully glorious bohemian chaos, books everywhere on any subject you care to mention no matter how obscure. Brilliant shop. 

The owners (who are Catholics) told me a while back that at the height of The Troubles, Ian Paisley used to pop in whenever he was in Glasgow LOL
I am afraid that most of my visits to Glasgow have neglected all higher culture completely, something I aim to put right later on this year. My first trip to Glasgow, at 17,  involved knocking on the window of Bairds at 8 in the morning and stayed remarkably consistent after that. Even when I lived there for about four months in 2003. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 75>
  Share Topic