You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 75>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Half way through I heard you paint houses. Brilliant so far defiantly recommend it. Looking forward to the film this year
Who did you hear that off?

Has anyone ever tried to read any of Paul Theroux's books? His most famous travel book is probably 'The Great Railway Bazaar', but I am trying, and failing, to read his 'Deep South'. His style is incredibly grating for someone so well regarded and he is incredibly arrogant. It is rare that you find a book that you can't read, this may well be one of them. Is he worth persevering with?

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:25pm

Half way through I heard you paint houses. Brilliant so far defiantly recommend it. Looking forward to the film this year

Has anyone ever tried to read any of Paul Theroux's books? His most famous travel book is probably 'The Great Railway Bazaar', but I am trying, and failing, to read his 'Deep South'. His style is incredibly grating for someone so well regarded and he is incredibly arrogant. It is rare that you find a book that you can't read, this may well be one of them. Is he worth persevering with?

I read the follow up to the Great Railway Bazaar (Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, I think) and it was grating, is right. It was a grand book but he definitely came across as a bit of an ass.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I read the follow up to the Great Railway Bazaar (Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, I think) and it was grating, is right. It was a grand book but he definitely came across as a bit of an ass.
Was the style like a series of semi-connected short essays? I can't get my head around that at all. There's no flow to it.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:52pm
Yeah, kind of. That's almost to be expected of a multi-country travelogue, though.

Long time since I read it, tbh. Probably six or seven years.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:44am

Its a good read but I'm not sure if the film will be up to much.
Have De Niro or Pacino made a good film in the last few years ?
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Its a good read but I'm not sure if the film will be up to much.
Have De Niro or Pacino made a good film in the last few years ?

Yea fair point . The cast for the film with martin scorsese directing it along with reported budget im hoping for a classic. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:23pm
I struggle to read as much as I used to but have read two so far this year and onto a third now Shocked

The Most Dangerous Animal of All -  Zodiac Killer - non fiction
some holy joe annoying arsehole, that was left in a stairwell as a child and adopted by very nice holy joe parents - can't get over that his real parents abondoned him. Everyone knows someone that was adopted and they are all cool with it?  

Anyway long story short, in his search for daddly long legs, he finds out he was a peado and very likely the most famous of serial killers the Zodiac 

7-10 

6/10

________

Currently reading God Save The Kinks

About 90 pages in and it's very enjoyable, but I find with all these types of books and other autobiographys that the before they are famous bit is way more interesting, so I'm just hitting 1964 and they have had three Number 1s. But I think the book will still be good after the non famous phase 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 3:10pm
The Catcher in the Rye.

It’s hilarious
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 4:19pm
Has any one read Shoe Dog by Phil Knight? Started it last night but have heard mixed reviews.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Has any one read Shoe Dog by Phil Knight? Started it last night but have heard mixed reviews.

Read it , highly recommend it one of the best books I read it last year 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:07am
Will stick with it so Thumbs Up
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The Catcher in the Rye.

It’s hilarious

How?? I thought it was heartbreaking

I read it all in about 2 hours spent the rest of the night in a flood of tears.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The Catcher in the Rye.

It’s hilarious

Didnt find it hilarious but maybe it's due another read. Read it in school. 

Not sure why it would bring you to tears though. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The Catcher in the Rye.

It’s hilarious

Didnt find it hilarious but maybe it's due another read. Read it in school. 

Not sure why it would bring you to tears though. 

I was joking Wink

But I agree I didn't find it hilarious

Edited by lassassinblanc - 04 Mar 2019 at 9:17am
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:35am

Definitely worth sticking with it.I enjoyed it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yeah, kind of. That's almost to be expected of a multi-country travelogue, though.

Long time since I read it, tbh. Probably six or seven years.
I have gone back to it and am really enjoying it. I have come to terms with his arrogance, I think. I mean, it is a very self-indulgent genre and a travel-writer without an ego would be dull. Secondly, he is far too intelligent not to be self-aware, he knows when he needs to be abrasive in conversation and also when to come across as same to his readers. Lastly, he is a very good writer; if you're going to be arrogant be good.

I read 'Football Against the Enemy' again over the weekend . It is still the best book on the game and its importance. I would love him to do a 'modern' take on it, or even an updated version.

I also found 'Catcher in the Rye' very funny. He is such an odious little ****, it is hard not to laugh at him!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:08am
Just finished I heard you paint houses. Great book , really gives a insight into his life a teamser and hit man for the mob. Moving on to A subtle art of not giving a f**k 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:30am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Definitely worth sticking with it.I enjoyed it.

Finished this, was a great read. Very well written and some great stories about the early days of the brand and how it grew during the early days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 75>
  Share Topic