You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 75>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Football against the enemy by Simon Kuper , Half way thought decent read so far. 
Far and away the greatest book on football. Absolutely flawless.

Have to say the best chapter so far was about the Hertha Berlin fan living in the East 

Finished this today definitely recommend it 
It has been a while since I read it, I must pick up another copy.

Any recommendations ? 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:42pm

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

yeah it was an excellent read. Nearly finished Bedroom Secrets Of the Masterchefs by Irvine Welsh. Thoroughly enjoyable
Really? I thought it was his least enjoyable novel, although I haven't read 'Dead Man's Trousers' and one another. As soon as he 'leaves' Scotland his standard deteriorates. He should stick in Edinburgh.

Defo agree with you on that. Generally speaking, most of his more recent work isn't great at all. 

I was a huge fan back in the day. It might have been that his style seemed new, the content was daring and I was a teenager at the time which amounted to a strong combination. 
Trainspotting, The Acid House and The Marabou Stork nightmares were brilliant. Ecstasy had it's moments as well. I can't say that I've really enjoyed anything since. He seems a bit of a one trick pony these days. 

I met him in The Stags Head a few years ago and made a show of myself by roaring Begbie quotes at him by way of introduction. It got the sort of response that it deserved. My missus loves reminding me about that as a cautionary tale regarding my relationship with gargle whilst dealing with the general public. I made a sheepish recovery a couple of pints later and we briefly discussed Hibs, Pat Fenlon and LOI for a short while. 

I see the reference to the "Spoonburners" in relation to Hibs in the Celtic thread and reckon Irvine would probably be chuffed.  
El Puto Amo
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:11pm
Was gonna post the same McHammered, minus you making a boob of yourself. Read his stuff in my early 20s and found it repititive very quickly. 

Still love Filth his best book by a long way - I'd probably think it's sh*te if I read it now though, so I'll keep it for my 20 year old self Heart
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:16pm

Football against the enemy by Simon Kuper , Half way thought decent read so far. 

Have to say the best chapter so far was about the Hertha Berlin fan living in the East 

Any recommendations ? 
Football related? A few I really enjoyed, in no particular order:

Brilliant Orange- Winner. An in-depth look at Dutch football

Calcio-Foot. History of Italian football.

The Game of our Lives- Goldblatt. The history of the English game

The Ball is Round- A history of the game globally. An excellent effort at the impossible

Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil- Ferguson. A brilliant history of Cowdenbeath, an interest in Cowdenbeath, or Scottish football, is not necessary.

Inverting the Pyramid - Wilson. A history of tactics

Angels with Dirty Faces-Wilson. Mentioned a few times on here.  A brilliant book. He has a great style

A Season with Verona-Parks. Englishman meets Veronese wife, moves there and follows the team, home and away, for a season. This his only football book. All his other non-fiction books, particularly Italian Neighbours,  are excellent too. I tried his fiction, wasn't for me.

Among the Thugs- Buford. The best book on football hooliganism.

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro- McGinniss. An account of the village club's season in Serie B

Stomping Grounds- Connelly. A little niche and geeky, but very enjoyable as he follows Liechtenstein around for a qualifying campaign

The Rebel Who Would be King- Auclair. Brilliant biography of Cantona

Barca- Burns. Excellent history of Barcelona

There's loads over the past 30 years, the one thing we can be thankful to Hornby for.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

yeah it was an excellent read. Nearly finished Bedroom Secrets Of the Masterchefs by Irvine Welsh. Thoroughly enjoyable
Really? I thought it was his least enjoyable novel, although I haven't read 'Dead Man's Trousers' and one another. As soon as he 'leaves' Scotland his standard deteriorates. He should stick in Edinburgh.

Defo agree with you on that. Generally speaking, most of his more recent work isn't great at all. 

I was a huge fan back in the day. It might have been that his style seemed new, the content was daring and I was a teenager at the time which amounted to a strong combination. 
Trainspotting, The Acid House and The Marabou Stork nightmares were brilliant. Ecstasy had it's moments as well. I can't say that I've really enjoyed anything since. He seems a bit of a one trick pony these days. 

I met him in The Stags Head a few years ago and made a show of myself by roaring Begbie quotes at him by way of introduction. It got the sort of response that it deserved. My missus loves reminding me about that as a cautionary tale regarding my relationship with gargle whilst dealing with the general public. I made a sheepish recovery a couple of pints later and we briefly discussed Hibs, Pat Fenlon and LOI for a short while. 

I see the reference to the "Spoonburners" in relation to Hibs in the Celtic thread and reckon Irvine would probably be chuffed.  
The last book of his I enjoyed was 'Ride', which was panned by the critics. I think they are expecting every book he writes to be Trainspotting. He is best off sticking to similar, 'laddish' reading for the Trainspotting generation. You can't blame him for experimenting though. People will still buy it and he can test himself. He might even get one right!

Did he acknowledge the Begbie impersonator?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:35pm

The last book of his I enjoyed was 'Ride', which was panned by the critics. I think they are expecting every book he writes to be Trainspotting. He is best off sticking to similar, 'laddish' reading for the Trainspotting generation. You can't blame him for experimenting though. People will still buy it and he can test himself. He might even get one right!

Remind you of any recent incidents involving rugby fraternity ???

Reading "Proof of Collusion" at the moment - don't think it'll get a good review on Fox

As regards football books - Castel DS, Only a Game (Dunphy), Behind the Curtain (Wilson) and The Football Man (Arthur Hopcraft) are my favourites

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 12 Feb 2019 at 1:41pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:41pm

Any recommendations ? 
Football related? A few I really enjoyed, in no particular order:

Brilliant Orange- Winner. An in-depth look at Dutch football

Calcio-Foot. History of Italian football.

The Game of our Lives- Goldblatt. The history of the English game

The Ball is Round- A history of the game globally. An excellent effort at the impossible

Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil- Ferguson. A brilliant history of Cowdenbeath, an interest in Cowdenbeath, or Scottish football, is not necessary.

Inverting the Pyramid - Wilson. A history of tactics

Angels with Dirty Faces-Wilson. Mentioned a few times on here.  A brilliant book. He has a great style

A Season with Verona-Parks. Englishman meets Veronese wife, moves there and follows the team, home and away, for a season. This his only football book. All his other non-fiction books, particularly Italian Neighbours,  are excellent too. I tried his fiction, wasn't for me.

Among the Thugs- Buford. The best book on football hooliganism.

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro- McGinniss. An account of the village club's season in Serie B

Stomping Grounds- Connelly. A little niche and geeky, but very enjoyable as he follows Liechtenstein around for a qualifying campaign

The Rebel Who Would be King- Auclair. Brilliant biography of Cantona

Barca- Burns. Excellent history of Barcelona

There's loads over the past 30 years, the one thing we can be thankful to Hornby for.

Thanks for that. Have read a good few of that list. Must get around to The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro been recommended a few times now. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:48pm
I forgot 'There's Only One Red Army', my favourite Irish sports book. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:49pm

He did turn on his seat to face me, narrowed his eyes, jutted his jaw out a bit and just stared silently in disgust whilst the giddiness drained from my body and a lump developed in my throat. Once the smile on my face was a distant memory, he turned back to the group he was with and proceeded with his conversation whilst I stood there like the absolute gimp that I was until my missus gave my elbow a little tug to jolt me back into reality and lead me back to where we were standing. Iain Dowie could have coined the term "bouncebackability" for my later attempt to save a bit of face with a more appropriate introduction. 
El Puto Amo
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:05pm
If you are keen on Irvine Welsh then I'd strongly recommend "Lanark: A Life in Four Books" by Alasdair Gray. One of the finest books you will ever read.

On the subject of good football books:

I loved Stan Matthews lengthy autobiography "The Way It Was". A wonderful account of English football from the 1930's to the 1960s. I'm not sure if it's still in print however. 

"Heroes are Forever: The Life and Times of Celtic Legend Jimmy McGrory" by John Cairney was another that I enjoyed. 

"My Search For Celtic's John" by Tom Greig is probably the best football book I've ever read. 

It's a biography of Celtic & Scotland goalkeeper John Thomson who died of injuries sustained in a tragic, freak accident during an Old Firm game in 1931 at the age of only 22. The research Mr Greig underwent was remarkable and the book is a wonderful tribute to Thomson. This is long out of print but there are always a couple of second hand copies available online. Highly recommended.

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 12 Feb 2019 at 2:06pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

If you are keen on Irvine Welsh then I'd strongly recommend "Lanark: A Life in Four Books" by Alasdair Gray. One of the finest books you will ever read.

Cheers ET. I'll check that out. I've enjoyed some of Iain Banks stuff as well, another Scottish writer. The Wasp Factory was another book I read as a young lad that freaked me out in a good way. 

I'm currently reading "Prisoners of Geography" which helps to explain a lot of the historic and present day motives of the Worlds Superpowers. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:25pm

Cheers ET. I'll check that out. I've enjoyed some of Iain Banks stuff as well, another Scottish writer. The Wasp Factory was another book I read as a young lad that freaked me out in a good way. 

I'm currently reading "Prisoners of Geography" which helps to explain a lot of the historic and present day motives of the Worlds Superpowers. 
Yeah, cheers ET. There is loads of Stanley's book on Amazon.

I enjoyed 'Prisoners of Geography', even if he is a bit of a smug Tory ****. I enjoyed 'Worth Dying For' more, being a 'flag geek' helps.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:42pm
Jaysus people who read fiction books and enjoy it Wacko
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:10pm

Oddly enough Banks is someone whose works I've not actually read although a friend of mine loved his science fiction novels. 

When I was at school our puritanical head of the English department banned The Wasp Factory being done for book reviews and essays because of it's content. Ridiculous.

Trust me I think you'd really enjoy "Lanark". Gray the author, has described the great Irish writer Flann O'Brien as having being a great influence upon him.

I'd quite keen on reading some of O'Brien's work myself. Could anyone advise me where best to start with him ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:13pm

Oddly enough Banks is someone whose works I've not actually read although a friend of mine loved his science fiction novels. 

When I was at school our puritanical head of the English department banned The Wasp Factory being done for book reviews and essays because of it's content. Ridiculous.

Trust me I think you'd really enjoy "Lanark". Gray the author, has described the great Irish writer Flann O'Brien as having being a great influence upon him.

I'd quite keen on reading some of O'Brien's work myself. Could anyone advise me where best to start with him ?

Weird. I literally just purchased Lanark based on your recommendation and The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. Similar to yourself and Iain Banks, I haven't read any of Flann O'Briens books but this one is highly recommended
El Puto Amo
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:20pm
Image result for the tyrannosaur chronicles the biology of the tyrant dinosaurs

Reading the following at the moment, a good read for those interested in either Paleontology or biology

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:39pm
The Euro: How a Common Currency Threatens the Future of Europe
by Joseph Stiglitz

About halfway through this at the moment. So far it has been an interesting and terrifying read. One for those who are into both economics and politics.

I hope for all our sakes the Nobel prize winning economists advice on how to prevent the Euro from collapsing is taken on board by the bureaucrats in Brussels and Frankfurt. I doubt they will  Unhappy

Edited by colemanY2K - 12 Feb 2019 at 3:42pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:53pm

Weird. I literally just purchased Lanark based on your recommendation and The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. Similar to yourself and Iain Banks, I haven't read any of Flann O'Briens books but this one is highly recommended
The Third Policeman is one of the funniest books I have read. It is absolutely brilliant.

I walked into a charity shop earlier and the first book I saw was 'Football Against the Enemy', for a quid too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 75>
  Share Topic