You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wetherspoons in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 39>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 1:28pm
wouldn’t drink in one if I was paid to. 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 1:45pm
I get the attitude of people like the above, I had it myself once, and I’m not picking on you here GUFCT, but would the lads with said attitude be drinking in Molly O’Flaherty’s in Belgrade or Warsaw if we were playing there?

Edited by pre Madonna - 13 Nov 2019 at 1:45pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I get the attitude of people like the above, I had it myself once, and I’m not picking on you here GUFCT, but would the lads with said attitude be drinking in Molly O’Flaherty’s in Belgrade or Warsaw if we were playing there?

Different scenarios though - I tend to go to Irish bars on away trips just because it's where people gather and most of the people I would be wanting to meet up with would most likely be there. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Different scenarios though - I tend to go to Irish bars on away trips just because it's where people gather and most of the people I would be wanting to meet up with would most likely be there. 
I find that very twisted logic! The need to go into a soulless kip because other people will go to a soulless kip makes less sense than going to a cheap soulless kip!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:29pm
Spoons in Abbet St do a fizzy lager that goes by the name Dublin Blue - Methinks it was made with you in mind Tongue
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:33pm

I find that very twisted logic! The need to go into a soulless kip because other people will go to a soulless kip makes less sense than going to a cheap soulless kip!

I've never sat down and counted the amount of people I'd now class as friends and people I enjoy having a beer with through Ireland trips before but I'd say it's now upwards of 50. So, I could either try and individually send them all messages to find out where they might be or I could just go somewhere where I know at least some of them will be and take it from there. No twisted logic at all. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:13pm

If lots of people are in a soulless kip are they not giving it soul? If a bar is empty and no one ever visits does it have soul?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:24pm

I've never sat down and counted the amount of people I'd now class as friends and people I enjoy having a beer with through Ireland trips before but I'd say it's now upwards of 50. So, I could either try and individually send them all messages to find out where they might be or I could just go somewhere where I know at least some of them will be and take it from there. No twisted logic at all. 

Absolutely twisted! Wanting to hang out with friends is depraved stuff altogether.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Absolutely twisted! Wanting to hang out with friends is depraved stuff altogether.

That's a fair point - I'll go and sit in the corner of my local Wetherspoons on my own and reflect on my actions!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

But why travel abroad to go to an Irish pub? It blows my mind
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

If lots of people are in a soulless kip are they not giving it soul? If a bar is empty and no one ever visits does it have soul?
I merely used a term above, but yes it would. One of my favourite things about locking up a good pub was sitting down and having a pint on my own and feeling the history and character that surrounds you in an empty building.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:09pm
Sounds like peoples problem with Weatherspoons is the name weatherspoons really.

They're pubs with no TV and no music, just good cheap pint.

If it was called Burchills or Cassidys or Ryans people would be praising that it's not a €6 pint.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:13pm
They have a television, always tuned in to the S*n News channel. I know a lot of people who stopped using them over his political interference, not because they disagreed but because he broke one of the few golden rules of a pub. 
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:23pm
Never got the idea of a pub showing the news. Surely a pub is meant to be an escape from all the sh*te on the news for a few hours. 
@AntrimMan85
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:33pm
Go into the one at Blanch centre the odd if i fancy a quick lonely pint while passing. Sit at the window, watch the world go by and sip a €2.95 pint. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Never got the idea of a pub showing the news. Surely a pub is meant to be an escape from all the sh*te on the news for a few hours. 
Spot on. Horse Racing although I dont gamble, football or turned off.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:54pm
Televisions in a designated sports bar are fine, otherwise they shouldn’t be allowed in the places at all. 
Pub I occasionally use has Sky Sports News on all the time, unless there’s a game. Depressing as f**k. At least it has a decent jilukebox to drown it out.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 10:14pm
Jaysus lads,get out and have a beer. Who gives a ballox of the name. Make the most of the surroundings. It may not be fantastic but f**k it,you are out and it’s better then sitting at home watching repeats of MasterchefBig smile
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 39>
  Share Topic