Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wes Hoolahan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 101>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

jaysis lads.  Very simple PM Supports Cambridge and they are paying big wages relatively speaking for a player who is possibly past it and think he had a poor game.  He shares this view on the forum under the thread Wes Hoolahan.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  I don’t agree that Wes has loads of poor performances for Ireland but if that’s his view fair enough.  When you are a technically gifted player but not world class it’s a hard road.  Much easier to market yourself as a work horse as lads will love you.   

But Wes was sometimes the only thing worth seeing for Ireland for a number of years.  
Wes cannot be criticised.LOL
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:52pm
I think you're just irked that your very obvious behaviour has been called out. You either damn him with faint praise or you outright criticise him at every opportunity you get, and it's always wrapped up in an attempt to reference back to his Ireland performances which you seem hellbent on retrospectively re-evaluating.

The reality is that this is a 38 year old who has been retired from international football since 2017, so why regularly post on an Ireland forum about his performances for Cambridge when it no longer has any relevance possible relevance to the Ireland team? It would be like if someone took it upon themselves to pass comment on Stephen Quinn's every performance for Burton, and then tried to tie it back to a revisionist narrative about how he played for Ireland years ago. It's just strange.

We're decent enough..
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:56pm
O Shea aside I’m pretty surprised with the amount of posters who think Wes is beyond criticism. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:03pm
Criticism of what exactly? How a a 38 year old who is retired from international football for 3 years played yesterday for Cambridge; or using  the performance of a 38 year who is retired from international football for 3 years as a launchpad to try and justify your narrative on how they played in their prime? The angle of the "criticism" is blatently revisionist, and that is the issue that has been taken with it.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I think you're just irked that your very obvious behaviour has been called out. You either damn him with faint praise or you outright criticise him at every opportunity you get, and it's always wrapped up in an attempt to reference back to his Ireland performances which you seem hellbent on retrospectively re-evaluating.

The reality is that this is a 38 year old who has been retired from international football since 2017, so why regularly post on an Ireland forum about his performances for Cambridge when it no longer has any relevance possible relevance to the Ireland team? It would be like if someone took it upon themselves to pass comment on Stephen Quinn's every performance for Burton, and then tried to tie it back to a revisionist narrative about how he played for Ireland years ago. It's just strange.

All I am irked about was how sh*t he was yesterday. I don't regularly post about his performances, but I assume people who read the Wes Hoolahan thread would be interested in how Wes Hoolahan is doing and, as far as I am aware, I am the only person on here who watches Cambridge United regularly.

To me it isn't a 'revisionist narrative' because I don't think he was very good for Ireland and his performance yesterday was reminiscent of that. It is a feature of his career that he always tries balls that just aren't on. When it works it looks brilliant, but the rest of the time it just hurts the team. It is frustrating because I thought he would be too good for this level, but his first game against a half-decent side, I don't think Carlisle or Morecambe are up to much, and he was dreadful. 
Quinn didn't inspire anywhere near as much acclaim or debate when playing for Ireland, so your analogy, as you well know, is absurd. However, if anyone watches Burton regularly and wants to let us know how Quinn is getting on, I am sure anyone that clicks on the Stephen Quinn thread will be interested.

Edited by pre Madonna - 27 Sep 2020 at 1:30pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:56pm
The main feature of Hoolahan's Ireland career is that he was the only positive force is an otherwise unbelievably negative set up. What you seem to have failed to notice is that if he hadn't tried ambitious passes, then literally no one else would have passed forward. It was only his ambition that encouraged others to occasionally take a chance and get forward, because they knew that if they did Hoolahan would actually attempt to find them and it wouldn't be a complete waste of energy. When he didn't play, we were incapable of creating anything from open play; everyone passed sideways and back and as a consequence of that no one even attempted to get ahead of the play because they knew they would not be passed to. It was the definition of a vicious cycle.
We're decent enough..
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 2:00pm
using o sheas logic Wes thread should be moved to the ROTW section or else closed as he is retired as an Ireland player.   

Where else can you post about hoolahans performance other than the Wes thread 
AKA pedantic kunt
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

LOL
Is a Cambridge fan not allowed to be unhappy with a Cambridge player ffs!? How many posters on here have seen his performances this season ???

Then why bring his Ireland performances into it? The angle is blatently obvious.
Because it is an Irish forum. 
But Cambridge are an English team
What? So I am living in England? I really wish I had known! Does Wes know?
Are you? It would explain a lot.
What would explain, apart from your prejudices?
So I have prejudices? I really wish I had known. 
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:35pm

LOL
Is a Cambridge fan not allowed to be unhappy with a Cambridge player ffs!? How many posters on here have seen his performances this season ???

Then why bring his Ireland performances into it? The angle is blatently obvious.

FFS. You have just played right into his hands. There is nothing more he appears to like to pontificate on. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:56pm
The last couple of pages of this thread. LOL
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:58pm

LOL

Well what other explanation is there for your jibe?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

LOL

FFS. You have just played right into his hands. There is nothing more he appears to like to pontificate on. 
You don't have to read it if it annoys you.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:32pm

LOL

Well what other explanation is there for your jibe?
what's wrong with my jibe?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:25pm
Bizarre ramblings here.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:18pm
Poor old PM. As a paying customer at the Abbey you would have thought he would be entitled to make the odd mildly unfavourable comment about Wes when he fails to perform. But his retrospective, revisionist re-evaluation seems to have caused absolute uproar on here - and I don't think he'll ever here the end of it!

Wes Hoo-ha-lahan.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 27 Sep 2020 at 9:20pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Poor old PM. As a paying customer at the Abbey you would have thought he would be entitled to make the odd mildly unfavourable comment about Wes when he fails to perform. But his retrospective, revisionist re-evaluation seems to have caused absolute uproar on here - and I don't think he'll ever here the end of it!

Wes Hoo-ha-lahan.

Or hear the end of it!LOL

Tets, your jibe seems to have prejudiced implications against people who live in England, that's certainly how it reads. Maybe you can explain otherwise?

It was funny, when I said he was looking decent a couple of weeks ago nobody got upset.LOL

Edited by pre Madonna - 28 Sep 2020 at 11:31am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:58pm

Wes Hoo-ha-lahan.

Tets, your jibe seems to have prejudiced implications against people who live in England, that's certainly how it reads. Maybe you can explain otherwise?

It was funny, when I said he was looking decent a couple of weeks ago nobody got upset.LOL
Maybe you need to read it differently?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:26pm

Wes Hoo-ha-lahan.

Maybe you need to read it differently?
It only reads one way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 101>
  Share Topic