Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wes Hoolahan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 101>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It was Hendricks who set up that goal in Germany.

He was fairly poor against Poland and Germany away which was well documented at the time.

No it was Hendrix who set it up
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Easily the best performing player in green this decade.

Dragged us to the euros in 2016 and scored and set up the 2 most crucial goals since 2002 in France.

Over hyped me bollix

You think Wes was more influential than Walters in that campaign? Get a grip ffs.   

And the cross away to Germany was massively overhit, it was superb play by Hendrick to get it back across the box to O'Shea.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:27am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It was Hendricks who set up that goal in Germany.

He was fairly poor against Poland and Germany away which was well documented at the time.

No it was Hendrix who set it up

Yeah he was on the little wing and said hey Joe what the hell am I doing here. He was like a wild thing when he scored, and there was a purple haze in the crowd

It's feckin Hendrick lads Hendrick. Not that feckin hard -)

Edited by Baldrick - 23 Feb 2018 at 8:28am
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Dragged us to the euros in 2016 and scored and set up the 2 most crucial goals since 2002 in France.

Over hyped me bollix

You think Wes was more influential than Walters in that campaign? Get a grip ffs.   

And the cross away to Germany was massively overhit, it was superb play by Hendrick to get it back across the box to O'Shea.

We all like Wes and wish this was true but this is over the top.
Within a single game he can be both brilliant and terrible. Its this inconsistency that has plagued his career. 

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:58am

I think the Wes debate can now be inducted in to the Irish hall of fame of repetitive arguments. 
El Puto Amo
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:56am
FFS, best Irish player of the decade?  I love Wes and what he brought to the team and was ridiculous how Trap ignored him and we've all had the debates on that but Jaysus...............best Irish player of the decade is simply inaccurate. LOL

As for the debate about O'Shea's goal, if a long, hopeful and overhit punt to the far post is setting up a goal when Hendrick made it into an effective one, you can make a case so for someone else setting up a goal anywhere at any time.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:23pm
Walters was the player of that campaign. 

It was an awful cross in by Wes in that match, Hendrick did very well to turn it back across. McGeady played as important a role in that goal as Wes did, if that's the logic youre using.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm
Exactly you may as well say Brady set up his own goal as he got possession from deep, gave it to McGeady and kept running and running till Wes brilliantly found him with the lofted pass.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Walters was the player of that campaign. 

It was an awful cross in by Wes in that match, Hendrick did very well to turn it back across. McGeady played as important a role in that goal as Wes did, if that's the logic youre using.

Exactly, and by a country mile too.

McGeady had as much of an impact as Hoolahan.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Over hyped me bollix

We all like Wes and wish this was true but this is over the top.
Within a single game he can be both brilliant and terrible. Its this inconsistency that has plagued his career. 

Spot in.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:37pm
He's worth a look anyway.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Just checked twitter there. Hes definatley out with a back injury .

I contacted a journalist who reports on Norwich City matches, and he confirmed to me that he is fit, just out of the picture due to the form of Maddison and Leitner. Also, with the homegrown rule, the fact that he's an overseas player counts against him.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 23 Feb 2018 at 9:16pm
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 12:02am

Over hyped me bollix

But who played the ball into the danger area?

I am only casting my confirmation that Wes was best player of the campaign - I dont care about your overall opinion on players’ ability.

I look at it and think what would Whelan have done in the same scenario? Pass it back to Randolph.

McGeady? Run it in to touch for the 500th time in the last 12 years.

With all due respect to Wes, its not that great an accolade to claim
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 12:28am

Over hyped me bollix

I am only casting my confirmation that Wes was best player of the campaign - I dont care about your overall opinion on players’ ability.

I look at it and think what would Whelan have done in the same scenario? Pass it back to Randolph.

1. It wasn't into the danger area. It was well beyond that and only resulted in a goal because Hendrick rescued the situation.

2. I was clearly talking about that campaign. The one where Walters was our best player by a country mile. I made no reference to overall ability.

3. I didn't see McGeady run it into touch last minute in Georgia when he pulled 2 points out of the bag in that campaign.

Much as I loved watching Wes and with all due respect, claiming he was our best player of that campaign is either sensationalist or shows a basic lack of understanding of the game. It doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 1:53am

Over hyped me bollix

1. It wasn't into the danger area. It was well beyond that and only resulted in a goal because Hendrick rescued the situation.

2. I was clearly talking about that campaign. The one where Walters was our best player by a country mile. I made no reference to overall ability.

3. I didn't see McGeady run it into touch last minute in Georgia when he pulled 2 points out of the bag in that campaign.

Much as I loved watching Wes and with all due respect, claiming he was our best player of that campaign is either sensationalist or shows a basic lack of understanding of the game. It doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

No; I appreciate your opinion.

We would have seen Ireland in France regardless
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:27am
Pipsquek getting his soiled bedsheet handed to him here “that Ronaldo fella is a cod” esque statement
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:01am

Over hyped me bollix

No; I appreciate your opinion.

We would have seen Ireland in France regardless

We would not have been in France without McGeady either or many other players.
It's a collective effort.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:28pm
Makes the substitutes bench today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 101>
  Share Topic