Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Meet Christopher Atherton, 13, the United Kingdom’s youngest ever senior footballer

But will he enjoy standing to attention for God Save the King?

Something tells me that if it ever comes to pass, he'll be a lot less bothered by it than you are. However* that works.

* - Maybe like eg Ulster Prods aren't bothered by standing for the Soldiers Song - twice - at Ireland rugby matches in the Aviva?  HTH

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference and the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.

Territorial, can I ask, genuinely, why does Northern Ireland use God Save The Queen/King as it's national anthem?

Yes I know you are gonna say "I am British and God Save The Queen/King is the British national anthem."  But Scots use Scotland The Brave, and the Welsh use Land Of My Fathers for their anthems.  Are they any less British as a result?

What anthem was used before the split? 

The Outhere Brothers:  Boom Boom Boom
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terrence this is not a game of Snap.    I was asking a genuine question.

No you weren't.

You have zero interest in going into that pub (neither do I, as it happens) and were only asking your "question" to try to prove a point.

Which, let's be honest, is "trolling", so I'll leave it there.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 6:52pm

Terrence this is not a game of Snap.    I was asking a genuine question.

No you weren't.

You have zero interest in going into that pub (neither do I, as it happens) and were only asking your "question" to try to prove a point.

Which, let's be honest, is "trolling", so I'll leave it there.

The irony of you accusing anyone on here of trolling 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 6:52pm

Oh terribly sorry your local closed down Terrence.  My sympathies.  I haven't been there for a few years.    

Neither one has any connection to the NI team 'official or otherwise' despite saying ''Northern Ireland Supporters Club'' on the outside?  That's a good one.

Actually, my local is called the Duke of Sussex.

But I've yet to see Harry or Megan pulling pints behind the bar.

So long as it is not illegal or copyright, landlords may call their bar whatever the hell they like.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 6:55pm

Oh terribly sorry your local closed down Terrence.  My sympathies.  I haven't been there for a few years.    

Neither one has any connection to the NI team 'official or otherwise' despite saying ''Northern Ireland Supporters Club'' on the outside?  That's a good one.

Actually, my local is called the Duke of Sussex.

But I've yet to see Harry or Megan pulling pints behind the bar.

So long as it is not illegal or copyright, landlords may call their bar whatever the hell they like.

Because they have retired from royal duties

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The one on the Shankill Road should be avoided at all costs. Like any other watering hole on the Shankill, to be honest. Like that pub ‘ The Slaughtered Lamb ‘ in ‘ An American Werewolf in London’, they can sniff out the non-locals in seconds.

Indeed.

Just like I wouldn't venture eg into The Felons Club, over in the Falls, or the Hatfield on the Ormeau Road.

Which just goes to show that Belfast has its share of dodgy drinking holes.

Who iknew? Wacko
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 7:04pm

Meet Christopher Atherton, 13, the United Kingdom’s youngest ever senior footballer

Something tells me that if it ever comes to pass, he'll be a lot less bothered by it than you are. However* that works.

* - Maybe like eg Ulster Prods aren't bothered by standing for the Soldiers Song - twice - at Ireland rugby matches in the Aviva?  HTH

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference

What?

... the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.

I personally trust the opinion of all those from the CNR - community, players, empolyees, officials and supporters - who do actually go to WP, and in increasing numbers, rather than someone like you who's probably never been in the place in his entire life.

Edited by Territorial - 13 Nov 2022 at 7:10pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 7:08pm
The Northern Ireland Supporters Club (Not to be confused with the Northern Ireland Supporters Club) is a pub where the clientele support Northern Ireland and fly union jacks and the IFA association's flag outside their premises but are not actual supporters. Where the clientele attend Windsor Park for football internationals, who have orange order bands as regulars but these people turn into salt of the earth once inside the stadium.  The 90 minute gentlemen who go back to hating nationalists and cafflicks the rest of the year. 

Again I must stress these people have nothing to do with Northern Ireland supporters.

Edited by Trap junior - 13 Nov 2022 at 7:12pm

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.

It was on the Shankill and I'm pretty sure Drogheda fans were drinking there during the Setanta Cup.  

Fake news surely? LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:17pm
When England played in Windsor in 2005 did they play GSTQ twice?

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:23pm
The Hatfield is perfectly safe, Terri. It used to be a working class corner pub frequented by locals from the lower Ormeau Road where it is located and was once affectionately known as “planet of the Irps’ due to the preponderance of INLA/ IRSP members who drank there during the war years. But it has since morphed into a large student pub / restaurant with a completely different vibe. Nobody has been murdered in it for years. The Felons on the Falls Road was always noted for the fact that no actual felons ever used to go there for their own security reasons. It would not attract a lot of non-local passing trade even in peacetime but it’s been fine on the few occasions I’ve been there.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:55pm

Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.

It was on the Shankill and I'm pretty sure Drogheda fans were drinking there during the Setanta Cup.  

Fake news surely? LOL

Apparently not.  I was at the Linfield v Drogheda final.  I was told a Linfield SC had brought a Drogheda bus up to that club up the Shankill.  I thought somebody on here could confirm.  
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:56pm

The Hatfield is perfectly safe, Terri. It used to be a working class corner pub frequented by locals from the lower Ormeau Road where it is located and was once affectionately known as “planet of the Irps’ due to the preponderance of INLA/ IRSP members who drank there during the war years. But it has since morphed into a large student pub / restaurant with a completely different vibe. Nobody has been murdered in it for years. The Felons on the Falls Road was always noted for the fact that no actual felons ever used to go there for their own security reasons. It would not attract a lot of non-local passing trade even in peacetime but it’s been fine on the few occasions I’ve been there.

funniest thing i seen in this thread in months
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 8:41am

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference

What?

... the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.

I personally trust the opinion of all those from the CNR - community, players, empolyees, officials and supporters - who do actually go to WP, and in increasing numbers, rather than someone like you who's probably never been in the place in his entire life.

Your supporters clubs is based in the Shankill - the loyalist heartland of South Belfast.
Your anthem is GSTQ or GSTK
WP is usually decked out in Union Jacks.

Hardly an inclusive environment for Nationalists. Quite the opposite from where I am standing.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 8:43am

The one on the Shankill Road should be avoided at all costs. Like any other watering hole on the Shankill, to be honest. Like that pub ‘ The Slaughtered Lamb ‘ in ‘ An American Werewolf in London’, they can sniff out the non-locals in seconds.

Indeed.

Just like I wouldn't venture eg into The Felons Club, over in the Falls, or the Hatfield on the Ormeau Road.

Which just goes to show that Belfast has its share of dodgy drinking holes.

Who iknew? Wacko

The last time I was in the Felons it was full of tourists, mostly English.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Kamil View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 9:24am

Fake news surely? LOL

Apparently not.  I was at the Linfield v Drogheda final.  I was told a Linfield SC had brought a Drogheda bus up to that club up the Shankill.  I thought somebody on here could confirm.  

Did your Linfield buddies who you sit beside in WP whisper that into your ear? Surely you being a 50/50 fan would be able to check your sources? Ask a few workers in Doha? 

Edited by Kamil - 14 Nov 2022 at 9:27am
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 2:27pm

Have actually drank in there a few years back after a day trip up from Dublin, no bother at all and good craic actually. We were in there for 8 or 9 hours as well. They have a few decent framed photos of some of the Ireland v NI matches from the 80s and 90s on the wall and I think a jersey or two. Bus load of Apprentice Boys came in at one point but just lots of good natured sl*gging and plenty of dark humour.

Very well looked after I have to say, but perhaps a different story if we were from the Falls instead of Dublin. Normal working class pub though and the sort of place you'll be fine if you don't go looking for trouble. They even played the Fields of Athenry for us LOL

Edited by dangere_here - 15 Nov 2022 at 2:31pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference and the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.

Territorial, can I ask, genuinely, why does Northern Ireland use God Save The Queen/King as it's national anthem?

Yes I know you are gonna say "I am British and God Save The Queen/King is the British national anthem."  But Scots use Scotland The Brave, and the Welsh use Land Of My Fathers for their anthems.  Are they any less British as a result?

What anthem was used before the split? 

I don't know if anthems in football were a thing back then but if so it would have been GSTK surely, as the anthem pre Free State. 

Edited by dangere_here - 15 Nov 2022 at 3:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 369>
  Share Topic