You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He's very small for a goalkeeper. Doesn't have much presence at all.
Wha?

Burnley have him as 193cms = 6'4" - and he's built to match:

And if he didn't have a good game tonight, that's just down to a lack of sharpness from not playing. Looking at his previous performances, I'll be happy if he's our gk for the next decade.

Ideally Burnley will take a big wedge of money for Pope in thw summer, then replace him with an experienced 30-something old pro on a free, to keep the gloves warm until BP-F steps up.

Beyond that, after a first half where we gave Italy far too much respect, our performance in the second where we took the game to them and created chances, indicates we can give Switzerland a good run for second place.

Onwards and Upwards! Thumbs Up

Are they your own thoughts or are you just repeating what Baraclough said? Wink

BPK seems to have a weakness for those kind of near post shots. He should've saved Slovakia's winner imo. 

Dallas was caught out for Italy's opener but I thought Baraclough kinda hung him to to dry a bit in his interview tbh. Kenny avoided blaming our goalie last night who cost us two goals which is probably the better way to go even if it might come across as being a bit disingenuous. 

I haven't actually heard Bara's interview yet, but it sounds like "Great Minds think alike", eh? LOL

As for Dallas, he's a big boy now, I'm sure he can take it.

And BP-F, maybe that is a weakness, but I'm sure it's something which can be sorted with good coaching and application. Aside from that, he looks to me to have all the other basics.

P.S. I've just found a photo of BP-F:

From the look of that, he's as tall as big Lafferty - and he's 7 foot! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 25 Mar 2021 at 11:50pm
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:51pm
BP-F, sounds like a brake fluid 

Ironic as he doesn’t seem to stop anything 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:55pm
Shay Given as well always seemed smaller than he actually was (like BPF) and he was over 6 foot. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 12:07am

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Beyond that, after a first half where we gave Italy far too much respect, our performance in the second where we took the game to them and created chances, indicates we can give Switzerland a good run for second place.

Onwards and Upwards! Thumbs Up

The Swiss will top that group.

Italy are now unbeaten in 23 games, 18 of them wins.

They won their last Euro qualifying group with 10 straight wins.

And I think I'm right in saying they've never lost a World Cup qualifier at home.

And although they haven't played Switzerland recently, Italy's record against them is:
PL 58  W28  D22  L8  F107  A67

Anyhow, the Swiss are good, no doubt, and have to be favourites to finish ahead of NI.

But I'd be hugely surprised if they came in ahead of Italy as well.

I wouldn’t read too much into that. Finland finished 2nd in that group. It was not a high standard especially considering how out of form Bosnia and Greece were. It’ll be a straight shootout between the Italians and the Swiss for top spot. The Swiss are very rarely not in contention for top spot. The Portuguese pipped them to top spot in the last World Cup qualifying game. Both teams won 9 games and lost to each other. Goal difference may decide this one as well. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 1:15pm
At ease gentlemen... yes I know...Cry

In a time of woe might be worth a listen a new podcast talking to footballers who have travelled outside the norm from the nice people at 'A Bohemian Sporting Life'.

Episode One Gerry Armstrong - talks Real Mallorca, that night in Valencia, playing against Maradona, Elton John at Watford, Ardilles & Villa @ Spurs and commentating across Spain.

All here:
https://soundcloud.com/gerard-farrell-628977697/a-road-less-travelled-gerry

Good day to to you all!!

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 1:54pm
An hour of Gerry Armstrong wouldn't be out of place in Guantanamo or Abu Gharaib.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

An hour of Gerry Armstrong wouldn't be out of place in Guantanamo or Abu Gharaib.

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:10pm

An hour of Gerry Armstrong wouldn't be out of place in Guantanamo or Abu Gharaib....
... but still better than a spell in the AVIVA Wink

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:14pm

An hour of Gerry Armstrong wouldn't be out of place in Guantanamo or Abu Gharaib....
... but still better than a spell in the AVIVA Wink

I would certainly be saying no to both.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:03pm
For me, Gerry's show might be worth a listen

More so than the miserable John O'Neill on Radio Ulster
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

For me, Gerry's show might be worth a listen

More so than the miserable John O'Neill on Radio Ulster

Well if it's as good as his unhinged comedy gold commentary for Sky during the Swiss WC playoff matches a few years back, then I'm all ears. Wink

Edited by irishmufc - 29 Mar 2021 at 9:11pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:19pm
Big fuss being made about Steve Davis becoming 3rd most capped Irishman tonight 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:32pm
He didn't do much tonight. McNair, Dallas and Lewis at least tried, awful match to watch and Bulgaria would have won it but for that save by BPF at the end.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:40pm
N.I. look like they made the most chances but that result is a crippling blow to them when you're in a group with the kings of consistency Switzerland and a powerhouse like Italy. 

It'll temper some of the celebrations that might have took place on the OWC forum over our disaster against Luxembourg. LOL

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:46pm
Can’t see Southgate starting Grealish in the euros 
He’ll go with an extra defensive midfielder instead 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Big fuss being made about Steve Davis becoming 3rd most capped Irishman tonight 

BBC news NI said earlier he was about to become the highest capped British player of all time, even they are confused.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

N.I. look like they made the most chances but that result is a crippling blow to them when you're in a group with the kings of consistency Switzerland and a powerhouse like Italy. 

It'll temper some of the celebrations that might have took place on the OWC forum over our disaster against Luxembourg. LOL

For me though, the way NI play is something that we should be able to achieve. Although lucky to emerge with the point at the end, they were unlucky on the whole not to get three, as they dominated it. The problem is, like us, they lack any degree of quality outside of their defence. In a game between ourselves and them, they would dominate us, but it would almost certainly end 0-0.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:06pm
Bulgaria played a bunch of kids in defence including a keeper barely older than Bazunu. Their world ranking (68th) is closer to NI (45th) than Luxembourg were. Both they and NI have only one win and two draws since the beginning of 2020, losing all the rest. Both cannot buy a goal and are effectively out of the World Cup after last night. It will get worse for NI as their better players are now in the twilight of their careers and Baraclough, unlike Kenny, does not have much in the way of talented young players breaking through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 369>
  Share Topic