You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 297298299300301 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 2:23pm
I had considered him, also Charlie Lindsay at Rangers, who's also creating a bit of a stir:
https://www.thenational.scot/sport/18697721.rangers-kid-charlie-lindsay-hopes-follow-footsteps-northern-ireland-legend-steven-davis-ibrox/

But they both still basically playing youth football. It will take another year or two (at least) before they're ready for mixing it with adults.

And they need a season or more at that level before coming into consideration for NI at senior level.

Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I don’t think they were missing anyone from the team that went to Bosnia and won
Bara made 5 changes last night to the 11 which started in Bosnia, also moved Dallas from RB to MF.

Of the 5 new picks, Conor McLaughlin has only played 2 games in 2020, Michael McGovern just the one(?), Gavin Whyte and Jordan Jones have been in-and-out at Cardiff and Rangers and Kyle Lafferty (Reggiana) - well who knows what he's been up to this last 6 months!

And the 6 who were retained were likely knackered from Thursday's 2 hours of football, shoot-out and travel etc.

I expect that certainly 9, maybe 10 and possibly even all 11 of the Bosnia starters will also start against Slovakia (injury/fitness permitting).

And it should be a tight game, with NI possibly marginal favourites?

Yeah I knew the team that played Austria last night had plenty of changes

What you’ve quoted me on was me answering Brendan on whether NI have anyone to come back into the team from the team that played Bosnia to the one that’ll play Slovakia, as he’s sure the two players Slovakia were missing against us are going to win the game for them 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:04pm

I don’t think they were missing anyone from the team that went to Bosnia and won
Bara made 5 changes last night to the 11 which started in Bosnia, also moved Dallas from RB to MF.

Of the 5 new picks, Conor McLaughlin has only played 2 games in 2020, Michael McGovern just the one(?), Gavin Whyte and Jordan Jones have been in-and-out at Cardiff and Rangers and Kyle Lafferty (Reggiana) - well who knows what he's been up to this last 6 months!

And the 6 who were retained were likely knackered from Thursday's 2 hours of football, shoot-out and travel etc.

I expect that certainly 9, maybe 10 and possibly even all 11 of the Bosnia starters will also start against Slovakia (injury/fitness permitting).

What you’ve quoted me on was me answering Brendan on whether NI have anyone to come back into the team from the team that played Bosnia to the one that’ll play Slovakia, as he’s sure the two players Slovakia were missing against us are going to win the game for them 

I’m sure now am I? You were sounding a lot more confident than me.

I suppose Corry Evans, Jimmy Saville and Josh Magennis will make a bigger difference to NI than Skriniar and Lobotka will for Slovakia.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:36pm
Mule Skriniar and Lazy Lobotka might make all the difference. Who knows? Dzeko and Pjanic didn't for Bosnia.

No slight intended to the Slovakian lads. Not following their players as you do I've never heard of them, but expect their team to raise it in Belfast and likely have the majority of possession. If they were that great they'd have qualified already.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I suppose Corry Evans, Jimmy Saville and Josh Magennis will make a bigger difference to NI than Skriniar and Lobotka will for Slovakia.
I see what you're saying, but with NI it's not so much the inherent quality of the players which counts (thank goodness!) , as their ability to fit into the collective and operate the manager's preferred system.

And those three, for instance, have nearly 150 caps between them.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 9:15am
Re youngsters who might break through, Dale Taylor at Nottingham Forest is another possibility. Leeds tried to sign him but he liked the set-up at Forest. Impossible to know yet if any of the names mentioned previously will ever cut it though I have heard a lot about Charlie Allen, who played for the Linfield first team at age sixteen. I recall seeing Neil Lennon and Michael Hughes playing at a similar age for Glenavon and Carrick Rangers respectively and they went on to successful top flight careers but much more common are the young prodigies who do not make the grade, e.g. Alex O'Hanlon at Liverpool, who once had a long line of some of the world's best clubs fighting for his signature as a youngster.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Re youngsters who might break through, Dale Taylor at Nottingham Forest is another possibility. Leeds tried to sign him but he liked the set-up at Forest. Impossible to know yet if any of the names mentioned previously will ever cut it though I have heard a lot about Charlie Allen, who played for the Linfield first team at age sixteen. I recall seeing Neil Lennon and Michael Hughes playing at a similar age for Glenavon and Carrick Rangers respectively and they went on to successful top flight careers but much more common are the young prodigies who do not make the grade, e.g. Alex O'Hanlon at Liverpool, who once had a long line of some of the world's best clubs fighting for his signature as a youngster.

Tbh it's all a numbers game, with the vast majority of talented young prospects worldwide failing to make a professional career at any level, never mind as an international.

And obviously NI's numbers are lower than most other countries, meaning that when we do have someone who eg gets to an Academy in England, we notice him and invest extra hope that he'll make it, usually out of proportion to his actual chances.

That said, because there is so much continuity and longevity amongst our senior players, we only need one or two youngsters to step up to international football each season to keep the team ticking over.

Talking of which, here is another one who has emerged "from nowhere", JJ McKiernan at Watford:

Of course it must still be long odds-against his ever making it all the way, but if he should, at least there's little chance of his "doing a Declan Rice" and turning back to England! Thumbs Up
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:11am

because there is so much continuity and longevity amongst our senior players, we only need one or two youngsters to step up to international football each season to keep the team ticking over

Generally agreed, but as mentioned previously we're now a clearly aged squad. 14 of the recent 26 are 29 or over. Average age 28.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

because there is so much continuity and longevity amongst our senior players, we only need one or two youngsters to step up to international football each season to keep the team ticking over

Generally agreed, but as mentioned previously we're now a clearly aged squad. 14 of the recent 26 are 29 or over. Average age 28.

We've always been an aged squad.

At Euro2018 we were the 6th oldest of the 24 teams, with an average age of 28.5 years:
https://hwww.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-youngest-oldest-squads-euro-8094326
(ROI were oldest, btw, at 29.8 yrs average, though I think that more reflects Agent Marty's preference for always sticking with the Old Guard?)

And let's face it, if the likes of eg Josh Magennis is never going to be a genuine international class player, he does a much better impression of one with 50 caps than he did when he had 5 or 10!

With such few numbers to pick from, we have to turn that into a positive and exploit continuity and experience to the max.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 1:02pm
Fair points Terri. I think it would be a mistake to map 2016 on to 2020. The average age of our squad back then was distorted by McAuley and Hughes having such freakishly long careers. If Magennis (or Ferguson, Boyce, McGinn etc.) are still playing regularly after 35 it'll likely be in the Irish League or a similar standard in England or Scotland. They'll be nowhere near the standard needed for internationals.

Meanwhile, compromise looks likely:

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 21 Oct 2020 at 1:22pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:07pm
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1105/1176279-baraclough-thanks-kenny-for-slovakia-insight/

Kenny was maybe phoning him to see if he could play centre half against England 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 7:56pm
Interestingly despite their growing Covid numbers, 1000 fans have been allowed attend the match. Making a good atmosphere in fairness to them 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:05pm
YES YES YES GTFI

edit wrong thread

Edited by gazurtoids - 12 Nov 2020 at 10:05pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:18pm
OUT
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:20pm
Well done Slovakia. Dublin didn’t need that crew.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:21pm
Get in there 

A summer of GAWA and will f**king grigg being on fire is spared 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

We’ll see 
Slovakia are sh*t, currently losing to a Scottish reserve side if you want to read much into tonight’s games 

And I told you they have two quality player to come back. I was also asking who the North have to come in but didn’t get an answer on that one.

I think you're letting what you want to happen cloud your judgement what will probably happen Brendan. Dare I say, it kinda reminds me a bit of Hans Moleman and his daft predictions on United not even finishing in the top 10 last season. Wink

I'm sure you would've fancied Bosnia to beat N.I. handy the other night.  

Irrespective of who Slovakia are or aren't missing, it will be a very tight game and I'd be shocked if they had a comfortable win against N.I. 

Hello Muff.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:25pm

Hello RB 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 297298299300301 369>
  Share Topic