You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 191192193194195 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 5:23pm
Michael is not "the first Ulster-born Catholic to manage NI" - Magharafelt's finest, Peter "The Great" Doherty was our first ever manager, appointed in 1951:

Of course, it's easy to overlook him, since he never did much in the job:

Pretty average player, too:
Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento, Kopa, Pele, Eusebio, Bobby Charlton, Finney and Matthews.

It was an honour to play with and against the last two. But top of them all I would place Peter Doherty of Manchester City. He always gave me the greatest trouble. He was perpetual motion. You could dog, challenge and even hurt him. But you couldn’t dismay him. He kept coming.
- Bill Shankly
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I can imagine not too many protestants from the north would want to play for EIRE.  That's why they aren't asked.   Hardly sectarian.
So when eg Rangers refused to approach Catholic players, were you happy with the "explanation" that it was because they wouldn't have wanted to play for them?
And Jock Stein was pissing against the wind when he tried to recruit Protestants.
Remind me again, which team was the sectarian one?

And what would be your reaction if the IFA were to decline to approach Catholic players and prefer Protestants, on the basis that the former would want to play for ROI?

Indeed, extend that principle to the officers and employees at the IFA. We wouldn't have Catholics filling the position of Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Director of Marketing, Elite Performance Director, (ahem) Senior Manager. and a whole bunch of other senior roles.

In fact, we would probably be accused of being a sectarian organisation.

Oh, wait... Confused 

Catholics are more likely to nationalist and have aspirations of playing for their country. It's political not sectarian.   Does he want the FAI to ask protestants now?
Approaching one group of players who are (seemingly) Catholic, and declining to approach another group who are thought to be Protestant, is conducting a recruitment policy on sectarian grounds, pure and simple.

No amount of blether or semantics will change that.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I can imagine not too many protestants from the north would want to play for EIRE.  That's why they aren't asked.   Hardly sectarian.
So when eg Rangers refused to approach Catholic players, were you happy with the "explanation" that it was because they wouldn't have wanted to play for them?
And Jock Stein was pissing against the wind when he tried to recruit Protestants.

And what would be your reaction if the IFA were to decline to approach Catholic players and prefer Protestants, on the basis that the former would want to play for ROI?

Indeed, extend that principle to the officers and employees at the IFA. We wouldn't have Catholics filling the position of Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Director of Marketing, Elite Performance Director, (ahem) Senior Manager. and a whole bunch of other senior roles.

Oh, wait... Confused 

Catholics are more likely to nationalist and have aspirations of playing for their country. It's political not sectarian.   Does he want the FAI to ask protestants now?
Approaching one group of players who are (seemingly) Catholic, and declining to approach another group who are thought to be Protestant, is conducting a recruitment policy on sectarian grounds, pure and simple.

The FAI don't approach 6 county players, they wait for players to approach them. I'm sure if protestant players expressed an interest in playing for the Irish national team that they'd be considered in the exact same way as McClean, Duffy et al. I'd imagine they don't because they identify with the IFA team. Which is fine. If they want to play and are good enough they're more than welcome.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:12pm

Oh, wait... Confused 
we are

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:11pm

Oh, wait... Confused 

How is it sectarian when half our players are probably protestant not that anyone gives a toss about religion anymore.  Loads of our players are English born and only have grannies that are Irish.  I wonder what religion Sheedy, Aldridge, Townsend and numerous other players were  when  Jack Charlton (a protestant) asked them to play for us.  I don't recall anyone go ''hold on there Jack they didnt go to mass''.   Nobody gives a toss about religion (at least down here).  the only reason Willian Cecil Mahood etc isn't approached is because they know damn well they are working class unionists and wouldnt play for us if asked.  As if Kyle Lafferty would line out under the tricolour!

I dont ask out supermodels on dates because I know they will say no.  It doesn't mean I am a bigot against hot women.

As for Rangers not signing Catholics.  It was their policy to not alllow catholics to play for them because them for sectarian reasons.  They weren't welcome nor wanted. Celtic ddn't discriminate against anyone.

The Republic will have anyone of any race or religion play for us. 

Michael O'Neill is talking out of his arse  and so are you.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

The FAI don't approach 6 county players, they wait for players to approach them.
Simply not true.

I have it on impeccable authority that the FAI are approaching the parents of schoolkids even, taking them out to dinner, offering them free tickets to the AVIVA (and doubtless making all sorts of promises).

And of course they will instruct them to deny it, since it is in both parties' best interests to maintain the fiction. Which in turn makes it harder to prove definitively, even though it is known to be happening.

Still, it occasionally seeps out where, for instance, the player has a reason* for revealing it:

FAI approach Shane Ferguson

Yesterday [29 April 2011], former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland.

Ferguson, who has been a Northern Ireland international from under 17 level upwards, and has even played a friendly game at senior level, coming on as a substitute in a 3-0 loss against Italy. The fact that he has yet to play a competitive match for Northern Ireland allows him to switch allegiances and declare for another country.

Ferguson has caught the eye of many Irish fans playing for Newcastle United in the Premiership this season, and yesterday Don Givens (now the FAI’s chief scout) confirmed that the FAI had approached the 19 year old in order to get him to change to the Republic of Ireland.

“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists. “I’m sure the North are not too happy with us. They have a small pool of players but in the long run, the less good results they get the more the dual players will want to come to us.”

http://greenscene.me/2011/04/fai-approach-shane-ferguson/

* - Shane's reason being to dispel the notion that he wasn'r playing for NI because he was holding out for ROI (he had actually fallen out with Worthington, no more, no less)

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:42pm

The Republic will have anyone of any...    ... religion play for us. 
Then why don't they approach Protestant youngsters equally to Catholic ones?

I mean, if making an approach is a component of their recruitment process, which it obviously is, then denying Protestants kids equal access on sectarian lines is clearly discriminatory.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:51pm

I mean, if making an approach is a component of their recruitment process, which it obviously is, then denying Protestants kids equal access on sectarian lines is clearly discriminatory.

AFAIK they only approach players who are genuinely interested.

You are making this about religion which you know dam well it's not.

Seriously, how may Protestant players would play for the REP?

What do you think would happen to a Protestant player who choose the Rep over NI? he would be ran out of town. There would be f**king uproar over it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:54pm

See TJs point on supermodels above. Your argument is agruing for the sake of it and nonsense
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:07pm

Nice one we'll just ask everyone in the north to play with usClap Very petty tbf, clearly isn't for sectarian reasons, it's just clear what the answer would be. He would probably be complaining if we were approaching Protestants!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:09pm
LOLBrilliant TJ!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

AFAIK they only approach players who are genuinely interested.
So you are accepting that they do approach players, then? So much for the "We don't approach them, we wait for them to approach us first" lie.

And how do they know someone is "genuinely interested"? They have approached others in the past who weren't eg Chris Baird, Paddy McCourt, Chris Curran and Shane Ferguson.

Besides which, if someone is "genuinely interested", he or his agent can always approach the FAI.

You are making this about religion which you know dam well it's not.
No, it is the FAI who are making it about religion, since they are the ones who discriminate between Protestants and Catrholics, not the IFA.

Seriously, how may Protestant players would play for the REP?
Don't you think that that should be for the player to determine, not the FAI?

Including when the ROI was regularly qualifying for tournament finals, and we weren't within an asses roar of getting there.

What do you think would happen to a Protestant player who choose the Rep over NI? he would be ran out of town. There would be f**king uproar over it.
What, you mean like the oft-mentioned Alan Kernaghan?

Who played for ROI and subsequently worked for Rangers as a coach? Before being appointed manager of Glentoran. (They play in the Protestant part of town, in case you didn't know)

But as I said earlier, that is for the players to weigh up, not the FAI.

Edited by Territorial - 04 Mar 2018 at 8:23pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:22pm

The FAI don't approach 6 county players, they wait for players to approach them.
Simply not true.

I have it on impeccable authority that the FAI are approaching the parents of schoolkids even, taking them out to dinner, offering them free tickets to the AVIVA (and doubtless making all sorts of promises).

And of course they will instruct them to deny it, since it is in both parties' best interests to maintain the fiction. Which in turn makes it harder to prove definitively, even though it is known to be happening.

Still, it occasionally seeps out where, for instance, the player has a reason* for revealing it:

<h2 ="title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 5px 0px; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 2.2em; line-height: normal; font-family: Georgia; letter-spacing: -0.05em; border-bottom: 1px solid rgb221, 221, 221; border-top: 3px solid rgb221, 221, 221; color: rgb51, 51, 51;">FAI approach Shane Ferguson</h2>
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">Yesterday [29 April 2011], former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland.</span>
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">Ferguson, who has been a Northern Ireland international from under 17 level upwards, and has even played a friendly game at senior level, coming on as a substitute in a 3-0 loss against Italy. The fact that he has yet to play a competitive match for Northern Ireland allows him to switch allegiances and declare for another country.

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">Ferguson has caught the eye of many Irish fans playing for Newcastle United in the Premiership this season, and yesterday Don Givens (now the FAI’s chief scout) confirmed that the FAI had approached the 19 year old in order to get him to change to the Republic of Ireland.

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists. “I’m sure the North are not too happy with us. They have a small pool of players but in the long run, the less good results they get the more the dual players will want to come to us.”

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">http://greenscene.me/2011/04/fai-approach-shane-ferguson/

* - Shane's reason being to dispel the notion that he wasn'r playing for NI because he was holding out for ROI (he had actually fallen out with Worthington, no more, no less)

Any actual evidence other than hearsay or whiskey soaked rhetoric? Nothing in that link says that Ferguson didn't initiate contact.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:29pm

Any actual evidence other than hearsay or whiskey soaked rhetoric? Nothing in that link says that Ferguson didn't initiate contact.
1. "Yesterday, former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland."

2. 'But my heart is with Northern Ireland and always has been. I've represented them since I was a kid and I want to play for them for as long as I can.

But I've shown everyone I want to play for Northern Ireland and that's not going to change.

'I've got family from the south, but I just thought it was a good decision for me to stay with the country where I was born and raised.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2062910/Newcastles-Shane-Ferguson-committed-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz58oWfFgxQ 

Work it out for yourself, Einstein...
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:32pm
So was Alex Bruce poached by the North?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:40pm
''Stop Poaching Our Catholic Players! ....Poach Our Protestant Ones As Well!''

say Michael O'Neill and Territorial

BBC Spotlight investigates:

Northern Ireland soccer supremo Michael O'Neill has called out the FAI for their obvious sectarianism in regards to poaching Catholic soccer talents from north of the border.  By only approaching kids from nationalist backgrounds it is clear the FAI is dicriminating against the many boys from unionist backgrounds whose dream has always been to line out for the Republic and sing Amhran na Bhfiann in Dublin.  BBC Spotlight spoke to one promising soccer youngster from the Shankill Road to get his thoughts on the matter.  We met Edwin McClure under the local mural of the UVF just 20 yards fromt he family home and asked him how betrayed he felt by the FAI.  ''I always wanted to play for the Republic'' he says as we observed a tattoo of Michael Stone on his neck.  ''The f**kers wouldn't ask me though.''  We asked him why this might be the case.  ''Aye dunnae.  I suppose they see my name and my political backgrind and day tink 'dis lads a layalist' which is so for fram da truth like.''
Spotlight put it to Edwin whether he would vote for a United Ireland. ''Would I fack! I'm Olster till I dye! No fackin surrender like!.  But I want to play for de Republic like and them wee f**kers have taken away that dreeem!''
We then asked him why he would not want to represent Northern Ireland at international level. ''Well my da wants me tae as he bleeds Norn Iron and I'd probably be burned out a me home like if I played for da Republic but ma hearts with the Republic and I am not considered.  Pure discrimination like just coz I'm a prod like!''

BBC Spotlight 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:42pm

1. "<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">Yesterday, former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland."</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica;"><span style="font-size: 12.348px;">2.</span><i style=""> </span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><i style="">'But my heart is with Northern Ireland and always has been. I've represented them since I was a kid and I want to play for them for as long as I can.</span>
<p style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; min-height: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><font style="" size="4">But I've shown everyone I want to play for Northern Ireland and that's not going to change.

<div ="clear" style="margin: 0px; clear: both; width: auto; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; padding: 0px !imant; min-height: 0px !imant; height: 0px !imant; line-height: 0 !imant; : none !imant; border: 0px !imant;">
<p style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; min-height: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><font style="" size="4">'I've got family from the south, but I just thought it was a good decision for me to stay with the country where I was born and raised.'

<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px;">Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2062910/Newcastles-Shane-Ferguson-committed-Northern-Ireland.html#ixzz58oWfFgxQ </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Work it out for yourself, Einstein...</span>

Read it again. That's a quote from the writer you've copied there, not from Givens.

What Givens actually said was "Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him. I’m sure the North are not too happy with us. They have a small pool of players but in the long run, the less good results they get the more the dual players will want to come to us.”

You not think if there was an actual quote to back up your jaundiced, one eyed nonsense that they'd actually have used it, Einstein?
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:42pm
I would have no idea what religion any of our playes are and I would definitely not know what religion any FAI staff are, and I could not give a toss.
Just shows how fkd up the north is when Terri knows the religion of the IFA staff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 191192193194195 369>
  Share Topic