You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

' we'll see where they are when it implodes?'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ' we'll see where they are when it implodes?'
    Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:58pm
when the premiership implodes ?.... I've often heard this warning from non premier league supporters.

What does this mean ?   And what economic policy are they using.

So one day the money will be all gone ??? And the stadiums won't be filled ????

Unless a new sport grows more popular what are they expecting to happen ?

Granted there's going to be a Leeds utd situation here and there but
to a whole league ???

Edited by athlonecelt - 26 Feb 2015 at 10:00pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:19am
Often wondered that myself 
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:32am
I suppose the biggest danger is that the huge sums Sky/BT are paying will push the cost for the ordinary Joe Soap to a level where large numbers of people will say fcuk that its just too much and will stop subscribing.  Without the huge telly money the league will be fcuked.  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:40am
That and the likely possibility of empty stadia. Many midtable teams are finding it harder and harder to sell tickets, I mean what really is the point for Newcastle etc. Add to this that the age of the average epl fan has nearly doubled since it's existence, well you can see the logic. At the moment it sems safe as it has franchised itself to all the major markets. As much as I hate Scudamore, he does his job well but he might not be there forever either.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:42am
There has always been talk of the "European league" been formed.

The champ league suits the big clubs for from the top tier leagues for NOW as they have steady income year on year from their respective leagues and get massive top ups from Europe.

But the traditionally big clubs from smaller leagues are slowly dying....
Celtic, PSV, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Steaua Bucurest etc  I know Porto won the champ league 10 years ago but none of these clubs will ever win it again unless something drastic happens.

The rich clubs are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Where does it all end.....  50 Super clubs in a European league all owned by wealthy oil tycoons??  

Will the next generation want to see Man utd v Hull or would they only bother watch Man utd V Barca...
I would think its the latter.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:46am
Bosman was a kunt.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Bosman was a kunt

Absolutely, a complete kunt rivaled only by the suffragettes and the anti slavery brigade. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:03am
A european league was talked about 15 or 20 years ago
i would say its even further away today
not going to happen IMO
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:24am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That and the likely possibility of empty stadia. Many midtable teams are finding it harder and harder to sell tickets, I mean what really is the point for Newcastle etc. Add to this that the age of the average epl fan has nearly doubled since it's existence, well you can see the logic. At the moment it sems safe as it has franchised itself to all the major markets. As much as I hate Scudamore, he does his job well but he might not be there forever either.

Others will follow. No need to rip fans off with so much loot pouring in from TV.
Sky et al, will want to see full grounds and they'll start picking and choosing the games that are more likely to be sell outs rather than half empty stadia.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Bosman was a kunt

Absolutely, a complete kunt rivaled only by the suffragettes and the anti slavery brigade. 

Complete bastards.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Stoke keeping tickets prices down.</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Others will follow. No need to rip fans off with so much loot pouring in from TV.</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Sky et al, will want to see full grounds and they'll start picking and choosing the games that are more likely to be sell outs rather than half empty stadia.</span>

It is great to see from Stoke but pricing is not the only issue. There is a generation of young men who have not got into the habit of going to football. It is very hard to replace that, no matter how affordable the tickets
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:57am
Also a quick google search shows the average weekly wage in the uk is 450 pounds and is 360 in Stoke.
The average ticket to watch Liverpool, the best at the time in 89-90 was about a fiver.
The average weekly wage across the UK was 250.
you see where I am going
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:58am
Italian stadiums are always empty these days. They used to be packed.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 12:28pm
the leagues piss poor. lets be honest, outside of the top 5/6 teams would you actually pay to watch stoke v villa or WBA v Newcastle unless you were a fan of the teams.

i went to everton v villa a few seasons back (fan of neither team) expecting this great game. my first EPL game. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bored senseless through it. I actally laughed at my mate who turned to me and said "jesus this is as bad as that celtic v motherwell game you took me to!" 

Look the german league is producing better players and doing it for cheaper. whereas the premier league is producing poorer players (english) and spending millions.

Falco for example is here for the $, nothing more. he will play crap (as hes doing) and make a fortune and leave. Thats all the EPL is.

put em under pressure!
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 12:40pm
Hopefully the Qatar fiasco will lead to a break off from the big clubs and a European Super League. It is just silly at this stage that all of the talent is still so diluted. Due to their being so many leagues, cups and Arsenal turning 4th place into a cup itself, success has been devalued.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 12:43pm
The best thing that could happen, it will eventually, is that Nike play Adidas every week.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

not going to happen IMO

I can see a push for less league games and more European games in the future. The top Leagues will prob drop to 16-18 teams and more European matches. 

But imagine if there was a Top 20 European Super league ..... some games each week!

Week 1

Man u v Barca
Real v Inter Milan
Al Madrid v Liverpool
Porto v Bayern Mun
Chelsea v AC Milan
Man City v Benfica
Lyon v Juve
Bor Dortmd v Anderlecht
Galatasaray v Roma
Ajax v Celtic

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by ZinedineKibane ZinedineKibane wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

not going to happen IMO

I can see a push for less league games and more European games in the future. The top Leagues will prob drop to 16-18 teams and more European matches. 

But imagine if there was a Top 20 European Super league ..... some games each week!

Week 1

Man u v Barca
Real v Inter Milan
Al Madrid v Liverpool
Porto v Bayern Mun
Chelsea v AC Milan
Man City v Benfica
Lyon v Juve
Bor Dortmd v Anderlecht
Galatasaray v Roma
Ajax v Celtic

There were more European matches between 1999 and 2003 when there was a second group stage. Teams had to play 17 matches rather than 13 to win the Champions League. It was sh*t and people got bored of it. 

A European league like that above would be boring. 

Variety is essential in sport and a European league would kill that completely, not that it's great at the moment, because it isn't, but a European league would make it worse. 

The Europa League is a far more interesting competition than the Champions League this year in my view because there's a bit of variety in it. The Champions League has been muck over the last few years, dull and predictable, largely dull and predictable even with Dortmund and Atletico Madrid reaching the final.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic