You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome Queen Lizzie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 26>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:05am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

some people just cant see the bigger picture

True BSM, I was only taking the urine.

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:07am
Nice and relaxed in London today with the head honcho off on her holidays, people walking around with no ties, no bowler hats and their shirts not tucked in and everything. It's handy to have someone else pay for her for a few days too Thumbs Up
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:15am
Been getting an awful lot of light-hearted abuse from friends here. It's amazing how little they know about Irish history. Many think it's just a general hatred and know little or nothing of the rising/war of independence etc. Amazing how this country is painted to many of it's residents.

My opinion is that this visit is long overdue. In saying that I don't think that the Queen could've realistically visited at any other time before now. For the sake of our country I really hope that these 'hoaxes' and diffused bombs are the worst we seen. People can throw any arguement they want to me and I'm as proud an Irishman as they come, but how any organisation can claim to be doing the best for their country by putting it's own citizens at such risk is beyond me.

I love Ireland more than anything but sometimes it's incredibly difficult to do so.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:20am
Originally posted by kelvin kelvin wrote:

Been getting an awful lot of light-hearted abuse from friends here. It's amazing how little they know about Irish history. Many think it's just a general hatred and know little or nothing of the rising/war of independence etc. Amazing how this country is painted to many of it's residents.

My opinion is that this visit is long overdue. In saying that I don't think that the Queen could've realistically visited at any other time before now. For the sake of our country I really hope that these 'hoaxes' and diffused bombs are the worst we seen. People can throw any arguement they want to me and I'm as proud an Irishman as they come, but how any organisation can claim to be doing the best for their country by putting it's own citizens at such risk is beyond me.

I love Ireland more than anything but sometimes it's incredibly difficult to do so.

True enough. I have a friend who used to be a history teacher, was chatting in the pub one evening and I mentioned the war of independence, he had no idea what I was talking about.

There was a thing on BBC2 yesterday about Irish history, presented by Fergal Keane, I missed the start, but the bits I saw covered the time when Irish monastries were the centres of learning for all of Europe through to the Vikings, Brian Boru etc. Next episode will presumably be about the Normans.
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

True enough. I have a friend who used to be a history teacher, was chatting in the pub one evening and I mentioned the war of independence, he had no idea what I was talking about.

There was a thing on BBC2 yesterday about Irish history, presented by Fergal Keane, I missed the start, but the bits I saw covered the time when Irish monastries were the centres of learning for all of Europe through to the Vikings, Brian Boru etc. Next episode will presumably be about the Normans.

I saw that, saw a few others before when it was on RTE, good show. Transpired that Ireland may have conolised parts of Britain first.Shocked
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

I saw that, saw a few others before when it was on RTE, good show. Transpired that Ireland may have conolised parts of Britain first.Shocked

Watched that also myself. I'd like to think that I know a lot about Irish history however there was some really interesting pieces of history that I learned from watching that - including what Ireland4ever said about the irish colonising parts of Britain.

I don't think it'd do any harm for British school kids to be educated about the less glamorous elements of their countries' history. It could only go to help them realise the important heritage of the countries around them.
< ="utf-8">
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:52am
We've welcomed all sorts of heads of State down the years, including many people that would have been less welcome in my view, that inviting our nearest neighbour's Queen was long overdue.  
I'm not looking forward to getting out and about in the city over the next few days, but its a minor inconvenience.

The security cost is not so great in the general scheme of things and realistically, we wouldn't want to feck this up, would we?
I'm equally sure that the tourism benefits would easily outsway that outlay.

kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:59am
Absolute cretin on Sky News now. Not necessarily for the fact that he's against the visit - that's his view. But when asked if he was in favour of the suspected bombs he claimed that the bomb in Maynooth might just be a coincidence as that sort of this happens on a daily basis around the capital.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Balf.airy Balf.airy wrote:

Has there been a cost benefit analysis done, the media coverage of the visit has been low key, how do they know they will get it back in vat receipts from more tourists. I would be sceptical that it pays for itself,

so vat receipts are the only benefit to the exchequer from tourism ?
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:05am
when is mugabe coming ?
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:10am
Victoria Square in Belfast is the lastest place to be evacuated.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:14am
ye have to laugh at all the republicians giving out about the 30million cost
its costing so much because these clowns are a threat to her
so who is the biggest enemy of the state?
who is wasting our cash?
some people are so thick
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:18am
Lads, there is 1,300 foreign press acredited to this, thats i HUGE, an visit to another country might get a few dozen according to the telegraph! their website the guardain and the bbc (one of the worlds most read news sites) are all running live updates of the day. The money will be got back many times over.

Not to mention when the match is on I assume most reports will allude to the fact the Queen is here at the same time. Not to mention the news reports about Obama, funnoy no body complainging about the cost of him coming
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:29am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Lads, there is 1,300 foreign press acredited to this, thats i HUGE, an visit to another country might get a few dozen according to the telegraph! their website the guardain and the bbc (one of the worlds most read news sites) are all running live updates of the day. The money will be got back many times over.

Not to mention when the match is on I assume most reports will allude to the fact the Queen is here at the same time. Not to mention the news reports about Obama, funnoy no body complainging about the cost of him coming

Youre talking rubbish unless you can see into the future believing that myth. Therell be nearly as many foreign journalists at the Europa League Final next week FFS. Big deal.

Recoup it many times over me hole.

EDIT: What match ??

Edited by Kerrzy - 17 May 2011 at 5:30am
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Youre talking rubbish unless you can see into the future believing that myth. Therell be nearly as many foreign journalists at the Europa League Final next week FFS. Big deal.

final is on 2moro
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:32am

EDIT: What match ??

Next week? The final is tomorrow! Dublin is going to be manic!
Justice No. 1 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice No. 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:32am
This thread and some of the comments are completely insensitive to those who were killed 37 years ago today
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:32am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

final is on 2moro

Sorry ya. Thought he was referring to her Croke Park visit.

And do you really think football fans give a sh*te about the British monarchConfused Clown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 26>
  Share Topic