Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Watford thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 84>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

@PM what would be an example of a good, non contrived, chant?

One I recently heard that amused me was Wimbledon fans at MK Dons who sang "where were you when you were us".

I don't want to take this topic off tangent though, especially as I have recently found out I will be in the home end at Watford in a few weeks.LOL

Very good.
That's the sort of thing I meant really. Everybody is overthinking everything at football and that humour is being lost.
I mean the song Borussia alluded to earlier has clearly been written by a group of fans on a bus or a pub after hearing the Napoli version, and it doesn't rhyme, is always sang in the wrong tempo, which defeats the whole purpose. Look for the original on YouTube, it is wonderful and gives goosebumps, but what works in Italy doesn't always work everywhere else. And to a large extent the ' original', for want of a better term, is contrived, but it works, but this need to take a tune associated with another club, I actually believe the original is a dodgy piece of '80s Italian Euro pop, try and shoehorn your own words into it, making the whole thing seem naff and homogenising and diluting football culture.
I think what made English football culture was the ability to spontaneity and humour, like the example I gave above, that is largely fading away as everybody sings about their striker being 'on fire' and the opposition town being a 'sh*thole', ad nauseum.
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 9:55pm
Hold on - That AFC Wimbledon chant you mention is sung to a tune that practically every single club in the entire UK uses. Where is the originality there ???
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Hold on - That AFC Wimbledon chant you mention is sung to a tune that practically every single club in the entire UK uses. Where is the originality there ???
It was spontaneous and funny, anything like that will have to involve a tune that everybody can grasp in a few seconds. It didn't involve a meeting to discuss it or any organisation. It was just old fashioned wit.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the ultra culture, anything that keeps noise and atmosphere in the game is ok by me, but any bit of actual originality by an ultras group, such as Napoli's mentioned above, is often just badly copied, like above.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:11pm
Ok, so it's original if you like it and unoriginal if you don't - Got it !
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:22pm

Ok, so it's original if you like it and unoriginal if you don't - Got it !
Nothing of the sort. I was bemoaning the lack of originality in football these days. As I say, I like ultras and the noise and colour they bring, but it makes things too contrived at times. I was then asked to give an example of a chant I didn't feel as contrived and I did.
In that example the tune was irrelevant as much as the wit was irreverent. It is examples like that that English football was, until recently, noted for. Acts of spontaneous wit are now a rarity. One-liners that are funny, cutting and original have been removed.
You are very touchy about this because you follow Liverpool and your example of a Liverpool chant was one I dismissed. I will gladly try and think of Celtic examples that I find equally poor and contrived if it helps you to understand without tribalism blurring your vision.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:26pm
The 'we love you' chant that Celtic robbed off St. Pauli is a good example, now that I think of it.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:30pm
Not touchy at all - Just don't understand how you define original and not.
That AFC chant isn't new and the tune is used by practically every team. So I'm not sure what's original or new there. 

I didn't know that the Allez chant actually came from a Napoli chant - I just know it has caught on at Liverpool this season mainly through the European games first and now to most games. Doesn't bother me that the tune has already been used, still think there is some originality there with the lyrics (am not aware where this organised meeting happened to write them !) and the fact that I've never heard the tune used over here makes it somewhat different for England. So I still stand by my original point about there being originality out there, even if that means adopting the tune of old songs, songs sung elsewhere etc.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:41pm
And that is fair enough, this is all opinion and not fact. The Wimbledon chant, if used before by them, was still original to them, whenever it was first used. The tune is irrelevant, it is about taking a difficult situation and turning it into a joke.
As I stated before, regarding the Liverpool chant, I find it unoriginal out of time and out of rhyme. Watch the original, it is just brilliant. I will confess that I find a lot of Liverpool chants just a tad embarrassing, I understand your loyalties may prevent you from feeling the same. The meetings usually take place in pubs, buses or trains where the song starts from a kernel of an idea and then ends up with a finished article. My argument is that if you are going to spend that much time on a chant, make it rhyme!

Edited by pre Madonna - 03 Apr 2018 at 10:43pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:45pm
So going to games on a bus is now a meeting ? Ah, stop !

Back to Watford - SH : Whats going on behind the Rookery stand ? Does that area belong to the club ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:49pm

So going to games on a bus is now a meeting ? Ah, stop !

Back to Watford - SH : Whats going on behind the Rookery stand ? Does that area belong to the club ?
Meeting people isn't a meeting? What is then? As I have said, the ultras culture is, by and large, good for keeping a terrace culture alive, but it is certainly making it more contrived and, in some ways at least, more homogenised.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:16am

Watford being linked with Celtic defender Kristoffer Ajer.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:21am
@Sligo Hornet with all your contacts at Watford have you heard much about young Ryan Cassidy apparently the Hornets have great hopes for the boy.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:17pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:41pm
Great day at the Vic on Saturday and delighted to have had the company of a few ybiggers, including pre Madonna.....an absolute  gent 👍

Edited by Sligo Hornet - 23 Apr 2018 at 12:42pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Great day at the Vic on Saturday and delighted to have had the company of a few ybiggers, including pre Madonna.....an absolute  gent 👍

He was in top form all those years ago at a Palace v Sunderland game.

Top man who else was there?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:33pm

Indeed, a great day out with some great company. It went too quickly though.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

He was in top form all those years ago at a Palace v Sunderland game.

Top man who else was there?

Brianie, his son, AidoM and Stretchryan
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:42pm
Back from that sh1thole Wembley.....Will Hughes was excellent but our inability to convert chances ( we created some really good ones ) will cost us our Premier League status next season unless it is addressed......Gray.....ffs Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 84>
  Share Topic