Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waterford FC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Not sure it is available yet GD, in any case, it usually works out the exact same as the tenner you pay in per game. You would probably save on a game by game basis as there are always one or 2 games you may not get to for whatever reason. We don't get many sellouts, so no fear of being turned away any Friday night.......

Wonder is Frosty going back playing? Think he is past it meself, but I suppose it depends on who else they intend signing. 

Cheers mate Thumbs Up

Even though i'd be itching to get back home on Friday evenings, i wouldn't mind going to the RSC every once in a while when the season starts back. I don't support any LOI side, (i've always had a soft spot for Shels) so i may even start supporting Waterford.

No idea if he's going back playing, he's a very good coach so atleast when he does hang up the boots he has that to fall back on.

Fair play,  I am sure the Deise lads would welcome you aboard and bring you out for a drink or two Wink
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Not sure it is available yet GD, in any case, it usually works out the exact same as the tenner you pay in per game. You would probably save on a game by game basis as there are always one or 2 games you may not get to for whatever reason. We don't get many sellouts, so no fear of being turned away any Friday night.......

Wonder is Frosty going back playing? Think he is past it meself, but I suppose it depends on who else they intend signing. 

Cheers mate Thumbs Up

Even though i'd be itching to get back home on Friday evenings, i wouldn't mind going to the RSC every once in a while when the season starts back. I don't support any LOI side, (i've always had a soft spot for Shels) so i may even start supporting Waterford.

No idea if he's going back playing, he's a very good coach so atleast when he does hang up the boots he has that to fall back on.

Fair play,  I am sure the Deise lads would welcome you aboard and bring you out for a drink or two Wink

Only seeing this now Thumbs Up

I'm actually looking forward to going to a few games now, i won't be a diehard as such but i'd like to help out the club in a city thats been good to me so far!

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:10pm
Well, I wouldn't welcome you anyway, firstly I would point out that you were sitting in 'my' seat, then point you out to a few regulars so we could all take the piss out of the new fella, and probably finish by asking where you were for the FAI cup final in 1980 (I wasn't there meself, but that isn't relevant). Might concede to being on nodding terms with ya the season after next. That is the way all of us LOI diehards think, so yer going to have to get used to it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:12pm

Well, I wouldn't welcome you anyway, firstly I would point out that you were sitting in 'my' seat, then point you out to a few regulars so we could all take the piss out of the new fella, and probably finish by asking where you were for the FAI cup final in 1980 (I wasn't there meself, but that isn't relevant). Might concede to being on nodding terms with ya the season after next. That is the way all of us LOI diehards think, so yer going to have to get used to it. 

I'd expect nothing less from Waterford people boy Wink

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:15pm
True, it can be an insular enough oul spot LOL

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:37pm
Looking forward to the trip down for the first match of the season!
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:25pm
Waterford people are so friendly
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 12:29am
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:10pm
look to be in financial horrors 

the following taken from twitter

Waterford United FC + League Director Fran Gavin held a meeting this evening to discuss the serious difficulties the club are experiencing.

Open + frank discussion, financial well being + club future discussed. FAI made aware of current difficult financial situation at club.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:12pm
Makes the licencing system looks ludicrous if clubs are having financial issues after a few weeks into the season.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:24pm
Bad news alright. What kind of attendance do they get on average ?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:02am
Somewhere around 250-450, depending on the game. The last 3 years has seen interest dwindle to nearly nothing, the hardcore numbers above are generally made up of ould retired lads who are going since the glory days and a younger crew not too many years out of school. 

Most of the board of the last decade have resigned over the past 2 years, partly due to local criticism, but in this instance, I think very much a case of be careful what you wish for for those who wanted them to go. I'll hold my own hands up here, I got fed up of it a few games in to last season, it is very difficult to go to a game Friday night with the utter certainty you will lose, for 2 and a bit years in a row, while watching dire football at the same time. Around 5 or 6 years ago, there was 700-900 at the games, when you had Derry, Cork, Shels, Mons & ourselves all pushing for promotion, so it would seem I'm not alone in getting fed up of it. 

It isn't a coincidence that the recent few poor years have come around at roughly the same time as the recession either, the board itself, which would be mainly local businessmen, had seen their own businesses suffer and presumably had less time & money to put into the club in recent years. I don't really see a recovery here to be honest, and while a few lads have been pushing for a fans led model like Cork or Shams, that won't happen either, most businessmen with spare cash would be looking in the direction of the well supported hurling team, the hardcore of ould lads & students/young lads don't really have the income to make that scenario happen, nor do they have the numbers, it is very difficult to see a way out of it. 

The club haven't helped themselves either, this year, they increased the gate price from € 10 to € 15, reasoning the few hardcore lads would pay it anyway, but they were never getting € 10 off many regular fans in the first place, due to concessions for OAPs and Students, so all they really did was further alienate those who might have thought about going (or going back) , it is a 50% increase in price, with no corresponding 50% increase in the quality of football or 50% increase in chances of promotion. 

As with a lot of LOI clubs, there is also a disconnect between the club & the local leagues, there are talented footballers in Waterford, very few want to play for WUFC though, for various reasons, not enough money/not worth it, some would argue the standard of the local premier division is higher, some don't like the manager, some don't like the board, some have heard tales of not being paid here & there & would prefer to stay away, etc etc, nothing most LOI fans haven't heard before at some club. 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 7:34am
Jezzzzzzzzzzzz Des I feel for you I must say , hey a good few of us on here know what it's like to lose everything club wise .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:20am
Charging anything above a tenner for First Division football is a big no no anyway, and to use the excuse that the hardcore will pay anyway is disgusting. I dont know how a fan type model will work if you can only muster 300 to a game, looks like ye are in big trouble. I'd hate to see Waterford go tbh, it would be great to someday have City, Limerick, Waterford and Ramblers in the Premier Division. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:12am
The years when Cork and Waterford were both in the premier used always loved the trip to waterford. Great atmosphere. Anyway the first division needs to be scrapped and 4 proper provincial senior leagues created and let's have a proper pyramid system for domestic irish football in this country.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 21 Apr 2016 at 9:15am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:29pm
I feel for you deise, only for our support rallied around last year who knows where Rovers would be now and it's the same story for every club in the league.
This was always inevitable unfortunately.
It really is a damming indictment of soccer in this country when Irelands 5th biggest city is struggling to keep its club afloat.
Theres an awful lot of similarities between Waterfords story and the likes of Kilkenny, Kildare and Monaghan. Particularly the disconnect between the club and the local leagues. FD clubs haven't a prayer without the support of local clubs.
Whatever about the league structure the thing has to be run properly and travel needs to be subsidised.
Even Limerick are loading everything on to promotion this year and while they are running away with the league it's pathetic they feel they have to risk the clubs future in order to get promoted. If they open up an even bigger gap and their fans lose interest mid-season they'll be in trouble.
The whole thing just isn't sustainable.
2 regional FDs with the current clubs and top intermediate teams/representative sides would seem the only way to go.

Edited by Bitored - 21 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:09pm
Good summary Deise. Sad to hear it though for a club with such a history. It doesn't give much hope for the future but hope ye get yer act together.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:09am
Public meeting in a local hotel on Wednesday for all interested parties, it's all starting to look a bit 'last chance saloon' to me. Thing is, at this stage, keeping it going until the end of the season, while it would be an achievement of sorts, isn't going to cut the mustard in the long run, to put it simply, they need a plan, an overhaul of the structures & some class of an idea of how to put more arses on seats, and get out of this fcuking division, otherwise, some lads step in & save this season, only to find ourselves in the exact same place at the end of it, and that isn't going to prove sustainable for more than a few months, if at all. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>
  Share Topic