You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wales - Nations League - General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 52>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Tbh, given the distance from Birmingham to Cardiff and the time, I'd rather just get the ferry.

The time difference isn't great.
Dublin City centre 09:00 - 09:30 Dublin Airport
Time for security and check in
Dublin Airport 10:45 - 11:50 Birmingham Airport
Time to get off the plane and to car hire etc etc
Birmingham Airport 12:30 - 15:00 Cardiff City centre

Six hours total.

Compared to the ferry
Dublin City centre 07:50 - 08:10 Dublin Ferryport
Time for check in
Dublin Ferryport 08:45 - 10:45 Holyhead
Holyhead 11:27 - 14:27 Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury 14:50 - 16:57 Cardiff

It's about 3 hours longer but it is only 55 euro total (not counting the cost to the port), compared to about 90 euro flying and renting a minibus.

Seen as its going to be a late night on the Friday the idea of a mid afternoon flight and arriving in Cardiff about 7pm is well worth the extra few quid just like a leaiurely day in Cardiff Tuesday and leave about 4pm and back in Dublin that nihjt .
I know nothing :-)
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:20pm
There's also a boat at 14:30 with the train arriving into Cardiff at 23:00. That's very much a viable alternative. Under nine hours.

Going back, an 11:21 train out of Cardiff Central and arriving in Dublin before 20:00 is equally viable, especially as the train is direct to Holyhead. Under nine hours.

Admittedly both of those rely on the fast boat running and if it doesn't (which is an issue when there are high waves) then you need to leave at 08:05 on the way out and 08:05 on the way back as well, but it's still an option.

There's no denying flying is quicker but it's not necessarily that much better, especially if it is pricier overall, which it is.
Fr Fintan Stack View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fr Fintan Stack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:49pm
Can anyone tell me what the boozer will be for Cardiff? Not arsed scrolling through the previous 15 pages
tumblr_o987lwB0np1vthlfbo1_500.gif
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Fr Fintan Stack Fr Fintan Stack wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the boozer will be for Cardiff? Not arsed scrolling through the previous 15 pages

The Cardiff Inn,
1 Wales Street,
Cardiff.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 11:54am
Here's a wee list of pubs and clubs. Been a while since I've been over but these would be my favourites. St Mary's Street is where most of the pubs, clubs and food places are. The Brains Brewery is right in the city centre so you'll find a lot their beer on tap and on cask but there's a few other Welsh breweries which are popular too. 

Bars: 
O'Neills, St Mary's Street - Irish pub chain.
The Goat Major, St Mary's Street - Nice, traditional pub.
The Cottage, St Mary's Street - Another nice, traditional pub. 
Queen's Vault, Westgate - Real ale pub with pool tables and lots of rugby paraphernalia. 
BrewDog, Westgate - Scottish brewery craft beer bar
The Prince of Wales, St Marys Street (Wetherspoons) - Large pub inside an impressive old cinema building. 
Tiny Rebel, Westgate - Welsh craft brewery taproom.

Clubs:
Walkabout, St. Mary's Street - Aussie themed drinking barn. 
Metros, Bakers Row - Rock music night club. 
PRYSM, Greyfriars Road - Massive nightclub with several themed rooms. 
Revolution, Duke Street - Vodka bar/club
Clwb Ifor Bach - Indie, rock nightclub. 
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 2:22pm

The Cardiff Inn
Cardiffsbridge Road
Finglas West
Dublin 11
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 2:26pm

Live Lounge mentioned a lot as a late spot, O'Neills mentioned a lot too for earlier pints but it seems to be the most expensive place in Cardiff LOL
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 3:22pm
its a disgrace that a fans zone isn't organised.........................................
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
McNulty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 3:41pm

For those looking at trains from London, there are still decent flights from London City to Cardiff. Out Sunday, back Tuesday is £79

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:23am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Live Lounge mentioned a lot as a late spot, O'Neills mentioned a lot too for earlier pints but it seems to be the most expensive place in Cardiff LOL
They wouldn't let us sing the last time we were thereLOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

They wouldn't let us sing the last time we were thereLOL
it was the wetherspoons that kicked us out for singing. O'Neills were grand with us
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:29pm
Flying to Stanstead,driving down,On a flight out from Cardiff to Mallorca on the Tuesday,better to bus it to the airport or taxi between 3?
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Flying to Stanstead,driving down,On a flight out from Cardiff to Mallorca on the Tuesday,better to bus it to the airport or taxi between 3?

Won't be much difference in price so the taxi would give you more flexibility etc.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 7:58am
Does anyone know when it's possible to pay the deposit for the Wales tickets?
Isn't giving me the option to pay and I want to make sure I don't miss out on them by not paying..
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:00am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Isn't giving me the option to pay and I want to make sure I don't miss out on them by not paying..

They need to send you an invoice first
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:26am

Sure they've not to been allocated yet, applications still open so will be a few weeks
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Sure they've not to been allocated yet, applications still open so will be a few weeks

weren't deposits taken for Scotland ? despite no allocation. Invoice will be out in due course

willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

weren't deposits taken for Scotland ? despite no allocation. Invoice will be out in due course

That was my thinking.. From memory - I've settled up for most applications either immediately or very shortly after making the application...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 52>
  Share Topic