You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

United Airlines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:20pm
I'd imagine Sbyrne may come in handy for this debate but yes as Bhob says if you are asked to leave an airplane by staff and refuse then you are seen as a disruptive passenger and are therefore trespassing and can be removed by force if necessary
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:25pm
I've seen the video, the force they used is excessive. When a couple of huge security lads come up to you and say get out of the seat, what's the point in fighting them?

They could be in trouble as they did knock him out in the process and made him bleed from his mouth and nose.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:13pm
Kinda happened to me and Trapped coming back from Armenia, they were over booked and offered $500 and 2 nights hotel not to get on the plane, luckily for them us 3 rocked up 1 hour after check in and they wouldn't let us through
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:22pm
Its shameful that they can do what they like in a situation like that. They shouldnt be permitted to operate where they are reliant on no shows to facilitate their own operational needs and make fortunes from doing so.

Reality is though that reputational damage has negligible effect in an industry with so little competition so will have zero impact
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'd imagine Sbyrne may come in handy for this debate but yes as Bhob says if you are asked to leave an airplane by staff and refuse then you are seen as a disruptive passenger and are therefore trespassing and can be removed by force if necessary

Is he still banned from the whatever section, after being callously thrown off it, akin to how this poor passenger was treated by United Airlines?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:35pm
Appallingly handled from United.

Why they didn't just stop people from boarding I don't know. They should have realised before boarding started that they were overbooked and everyone had checked in. It's much easier to deny someone boarding than it is to take someone off a plane like that.

Also, I wonder how much of an opportunity the doctor was given to explain his side. If he told United staff that he was a doctor who had to go to hospital the next day, they should have let him be. Hell, if nothing else, it's always good to have a doctor on board, you know, for example, in case someone "slips" and suffers a facial injury.

That said, the cops have more to answer than United do.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Flying with them in the summer

They offeerred 800 dollars supposedly and no takers

I suspect you would have volunteered to give up your seat for $8
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:45pm
I was only thinking that Bhob, surely to fook they can identify who the last four bookers were and tough titty, we're overbooked, last bookers first to leave.  Assaulting yer man should ensure a nice lawsuit and humiliating the guy like that, those apes who carried it out should be sacked and jailed.  Vile stuff.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:46pm

Surely they are able to ensure that flights don't become overbooked in this day and age.

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Appallingly handled from United.

Why they didn't just stop people from boarding I don't know. They should have realised before boarding started that they were overbooked and everyone had checked in. It's much easier to deny someone boarding than it is to take someone off a plane like that.

Also, I wonder how much of an opportunity the doctor was given to explain his side. If he told United staff that he was a doctor who had to go to hospital the next day, they should have let him be. Hell, if nothing else, it's always good to have a doctor on board, you know, for example, in case someone "slips" and suffers a facial injury.

That said, the cops have more to answer than United do.
Couldn't have put it better myself Dave, absolutely no brains or common sense used by United staff at all in this sorry, avoidable episode. Heads are bound to roll when the dust has settled.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Surely they are able to ensure that flights don't become overbooked in this day and age.

I would have thought that too tbh, Actually always assumed Airlines left about 4-5 seats unfilled for this reason
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
I think it's emerged in the last few hours that the flight may not have actually been overbooked at all - United Airlines were trying to make space for four employees of a partner airline and wanted four passengers to give up their seats to accommodate them. If this transpires to be definitively proven then the story has just gotten a lot worse from United Airlines' perspective.

I think nearly all the issues I've encountered flying around different places have related to US airlines. The likes of United Airlines and American Airlines are the absolute dregs of international air travel.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Obviously too much money to be made from no-shows RB. For example, there were plenty of us who hedged our bets by booking cheap flights home from France last year for the day(s) after the Italy game at the Euros and then not used them once we had qualified for the 2nd round (I was one of them). And I'll not even go into flights missed by fans due to drunken shenanigans! LOL

The airlines have obviously worked it out that whatever it costs them to bribe (for the want of a better word atm) people to take later flights - plus hotel accommodation/food vouchers - is outweighed by the money they make from these double-bookings.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I think it's emerged in the last few hours that the flight may not have actually been overbooked at all - United Airlines were trying to make space for four employees of a partner airline and wanted four passengers to give up their seats to accommodate them. If this transpires to be definitively proven then the story has just gotten a lot worse from United Airlines' perspective.

I think nearly all the issues I've encountered flying around different places have related to US airlines. The likes of United Airlines and American Airlines are the absolute dregs of international air travel.
What, there are airlines worse than Ryanair?! ShockedLOL
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I was only thinking that Bhob, surely to fook they can identify who the last four bookers were and tough titty, we're overbooked, last bookers first to leave.  Assaulting yer man should ensure a nice lawsuit and humiliating the guy like that, those apes who carried it out should be sacked and jailed.  Vile stuff.

But the last 4 bookers could be frequent flyers who use them a lot so they'll go for some "regular" passenger first before they'd go near them 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

offered 800 notes and a hotel. amazingly no takers so they picked him by lottery and he refused. 

imagine ryanair offered 800 notes and a hotel to a flight from dublin? you'd have a scramble to get off the fooker.
Funny, you should say that but this has appeared on my FB news feed...LOL

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Yeah, that's correct. They were bumping 4 passengers to make room for a crew who had to move to get to work in Louisville (or wherever the plane was heading).

Overbooking does happen commonly though, because they know that a certain percentage of passengers won't show up. If you have a fleet of planes that all hold 200 passengers, and you know that on average 10 passengers won't show, why wouldn't you sell 205 tickets? It happens all the time.

The other issue is that flexible tickets cause things to change at short notice. The passengers with flexible tickets have generally paid a heap for them (well, their employers have), or else are very valuable frequent fliers. You have to accommodate those passengers, because they're the ones who will fly with you again and again. If it means having to pay one or two passengers a few quid because the plane is overbooked, boo hoo: you get the frequent flier on board. Hell, even if it means bumping the frequent flier up to business or first, they do it.

Having said all that, the gate staff and onboard staff should have had the data to show that there were 204 places required (200 booked & checked in plus the 4 staff they wanted to bump on) and only 200 seats on the plane. That data should have been available to the staff *before* boarding started. If it wasn't, that's an IT failure on United's part. If that data was available, it's a staff failure not to deny boarding to people at the gate. That's a matter of staff discretion, and seeking volunteers from the queue, but if it comes to it, it should boil down to the last four people to check in, provided each of those four was on a no-flex, cheap ticket. You don't want to piss off business travellers or those who have paid a fortune for tickets.

Overbooking happens for multiple reasons and 99% of the time, it doesn't even give rise to issues, because of no shows. And even when it is an issue, 99% of the time, the crew handle it properly and/or there are volunteers for a few hundred quid and a night in a decent hotel. This time, very much the exception, they f**ked up. It could definitely have been handled better but it's no reason to get rid of overbooking.

If you get rid of overbooking, it makes all flights a little more expensive, and when the airlines normally get it right, why worry about it?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:29pm
Dave ye reckon he'd get a huge payout if he pursues this ?
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic