Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 329>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:47am
I thought that once he made the switch there was no going back?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That’s what I thought. Once the forms were processed at FIFA . No going back.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:44am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Yep thats correct (under the current rules). A few others in the same boat, including Marcus McGuane.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

why just pick on James there are loads of others 

None of the others made such a thingh about being Irish and wanting to play for his country etc - see eg Marc Wilson, who just got on with it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Whatever the mechanism, the fact remains that after representing NI at under-age level several times, McClean (two c's btw) accepted his call up to a senior competitive fixture which would have tied him to us, before Sunderland signed him and he needed Quinn to make a phone call for him.

His presence in NI squads is irrelevant.

Irrelevant from a Rules/career p.o.v.

But his forever banging on about his Irishness etc exposes him as a hypocrite, since he was quite prepared to be a Brit before he realised he might get capped by ROI.

I mean, it's not as if he was some youngster who didn't really know what he wanted: he was just a few weeks short of his 23rd birthday when he made the switch.

Btw, when I say he was prepared "to be a Brit", he needed to get a passport before his first trip abroad with the NI U-21's. And he was all set to get (ahem) a British one, only due to a Public Holiday in the UK, there wasn't time. However, it wasn't a Holiday in the ROI, so the IFA arranged to rush through an Irish passport for him (from Dublin, afaik).
And I think that may have been the occasion when, after the game, the host nation held a dinner for the two teams in a smart hotel. Except that McClean had only brought sports gear and tracksuits with him for the trip, meaning the IFA had to send someone out to buy a white shirt and a pair of trousers for him.

Edited by Territorial - 04 Dec 2019 at 3:36pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:41pm

Correct.

There was/is some confusion about when exactly the switch becomes effective (see eg Bobby Zamora), but there is no doubt about Grealish, since he has already represented England at U-21 level, thereby "sealing the deal".
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Yep thats correct (under the current rules). A few others in the same boat, including Marcus McGuane.

He's ineligible...it's incredible how this still gets brought up in the media
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:42pm
if the Occupied 6 was a real country he would have needed a Nothern Ireland passport. But alas it's not even a province. 
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Whatever the mechanism, the fact remains that after representing NI at under-age level several times, McClean (two c's btw) accepted his call up to a senior competitive fixture which would have tied him to us, before Sunderland signed him and he needed Quinn to make a phone call for him.

His presence in NI squads is irrelevant.

Irrelevant from a Rules/career p.o.v.

But his forever banging on about his Irishness etc exposes him as a hypocrite, since he was quite prepared to be a Brit before he realised he might get capped by ROI.

I mean, it's not as if he was some youngster who didn't really know what he wanted: he was just a few weeks short of his 23rd birthday when he made the switch.

Btw, when I say he was prepared "to be a Brit", he needed to get a passport before his first trip abroad with the NI U-21's. And he was all set to get (ahem) a British one, only due to a Public Holiday in the UK, there wasn't time. However, it wasn't a Holiday in the ROI, so the IFA arranged to rush through an Irish passport for him (from Dublin, afaik).
And I think that may have been the occasion when, after the game, the host nation held a dinner for the two teams in a smart hotel. Except that McClean had only brought sports gear and tracksuits with him for the trip, meaning the IFA had to send someone out to buy a white shirt and a pair of trousers for him.

I also remember when he got called up to the Northern Ireland U21 squad, that he was being congratulated on his FB page for the call-up, someone questioned that he should be playing for us and they were put in their place fairly quick, not by him but by his local teams FB page, Creggan Trojans?, I think, basically saying that he was Northern Irish, and was proud of the call up, or words to that effect, I'd love to be able to find it but I'd say it's well deleted at this stage
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:25pm
Territorial
Image result for let it go

Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

I also remember when he got called up to the Northern Ireland U21 squad, that he was being congratulated on his FB page for the call-up, someone questioned that he should be playing for us and they were put in their place fairly quick, not by him but by his local teams FB page, Creggan Trojans?, I think, basically saying that he was Northern Irish, and was proud of the call up, or words to that effect, I'd love to be able to find it but I'd say it's well deleted at this stage

Oh, I'd dearly love to see that one!

Reminds me of two other (related) stories.

The junior club with which Michael McGovern started out have pictures on their wall of players and officials etc who've gone on  to bigger and better things. Except there's no picture of Michael representing NI, even at the Euros. Curious that, eh? (This won't have been any of Michael's doing, btw)

By contrast, Donagmore GAA club publicly sent their congratulations to old-boy Niall McGinn when he was included in the NI Euros squad - a nicely classy touch, I thought.

Edited by Territorial - 04 Dec 2019 at 4:45pm
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:58pm
I reckon the journalist overheard that in Macari's chipper and just embellished it from there
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:22pm

you made my point Northern Ireland  like Scotland England and Wales are not countries they are  provinces of Britain not countries. You  dont  even have Passports your not citizens your subjects of the  crown.
There should be a British team playing in Wembley.
England  is as much a country as Ireland u ignoramous. England  Scotland and wales had their own independence before the union. Laughable that u think ireland isn't a province when u haven't had your independence that long. People like you wind me up. U cant wait to sl*g of the nations of the United kingdom just to show how separate you are
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 4:37am
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

you made my point Northern Ireland  like Scotland England and Wales are not countries they are  provinces of Britain not countries. You  dont  even have Passports your not citizens your subjects of the  crown.
There should be a British team playing in Wembley.
England  is as much a country as Ireland u ignoramous. England  Scotland and wales had their own independence before the union. Laughable that u think ireland isn't a province when u haven't had your independence that long. People like you wind me up. U cant wait to sl*g of the nations of the United kingdom just to show how separate you are

United Kingdom is the country.  England is less of a country than Scotland  who at least has it's own devolved parliament and anthem never mind Republic of Ireland. England has no government its legislated by United Kingdom government on all matters. United Kingdom passport. United Kingdom anthem etc. Technically it should be a United Kingdom football team under Fifa rules but the home nations are exceptions. England is not a member of United Nations in it's own right.  England cannot compete at Olympics as a separate entity. It may have been it's own country before act of union but act of union created a new country the United Kingdom. England can be classed as a nation just like Kurdistan,  Chechnya, Dagestan etc  and it's people may identify as English but it is not an independent nation state and it is not a country recognised iit's own right by the United Nations.
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:56am
Isle of Man is more of a country than England.

Edited by PaddyDaCulchie - 05 Dec 2019 at 8:00am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Glen McAuley signs for Bohs

Wrong thread. This thread is about trying to work out which of Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man is more of a country. Take your underage prospect news somewhere else. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:57pm
Jack clarke of Aston Villa scored a couple of goals for the u23s today. Looks a very good prospect and suggestions that he may work his way into the senior squad soon 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 329>
  Share Topic