You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Underage squads: Best Prospects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Underage squads: Best Prospects

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296
Author
Message
SeanC View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan


Joined: 22 Oct 2021
Status: Offline
Points: 127
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 5:21pm
wales put those young players in their team because they were playing for their clubs. Our young lads (eg. hodge, Ferguson, idsh,  kellegher etc) are not so there’s v little basis to play them other than to deflect from poor performances by saying “we have young players playing”. This manager has codded everyone since day 1 talking about building for the future, playing young lads etc. Spoof merchant.

Edited by SeanC - 18 Nov 2022 at 5:26pm
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Heimatklange View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 05 Apr 2021
Status: Offline
Points: 489
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 8:08pm
RESULT | #IRLU18 | 🇮🇪 3-5 🇩🇰 First-half goals from Justin Ferizaj, Joseph Gibbard and Kevin Zefi not enough in high-scoring game in Poreč Colin O'Brien's take on Croatia on Monday
Back to Top
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Location: Harchester
Status: Offline
Points: 1389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 12:00am
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

wales put those young players in their team because they were playing for their clubs. Our young lads (eg. hodge, Ferguson, idsh,  kellegher etc) are not so there’s v little basis to play them other than to deflect from poor performances by saying “we have young players playing”. This manager has codded everyone since day 1 talking about building for the future, playing young lads etc. Spoof merchant.

That's generally incorrect: 

Wales gave senior call ups and caps to most of their dual- and tri-eligible young players when they were still playing youth football or reserve football (sometimes having maybe a sub appearance in an EFL game).

I'm thinking of players like:
- Wilson (Liverpool academy player), 
- Woodburn (Liverpool academy player), 
- Matthew Smith at Man City academy, 
- Tyler Roberts at Leeds, 
- Brennan Johnson at Forest,
- Matondo (debut while an Academy player at City), 
- Devitt at Man U Academy, 
- Luke Harris, 17 year old Fulham academy lad who is eligible for us etc) or, at most, reserve football, 
- Ampadu (called up at 16 after 8 appearances for Exeter City in League 2) (whose Dad is from Dublin and played U21 for us).

There's loads others but I'm not bothered going through them.

NI have tried the same strategy recently (e.g.: Conor Bradley Liverpool academy, Shea Charles the Man City kid).

If Hodge or Smallbone had a Welsh granny, they'd both have senior call-ups and in Smallbone's case caps by now.  

Grealish and Rice would have been capped soon after their teenage debuts for Notts County and West Ham.  (And as Kenny correctly identified, should have been capped at senior level by us in a competitive game). 

It's a plain strategy by Wales.  Similar to their strategy applied a few years back to maximise ranking points in friendlies to get higher seed picks and easier groups (which they no longer need to do as they are already highish seeds).

And if we had the same strategy, we'd probably all be drinking Heineken Zero in Qatar right now. 

Even now we have the same failings.  Smallbone, Hodge and Ronan have all played premier league games and should be capped by us by now.  Instead, we're giving Jeff his 76th run-out.  It's similar to watching Glenn Whelan come on when we were 7-0 up against Gibralter in the Aviva, when a cap to a 17 year-old winger doing the business for Notts County (who had recently played GAA in Croker) was a real possibility.  Anyone tuning in to that league football highlights programme on Saturday night could see Grealish was quality. 

But there's been little thought for the future, throughout most manager's reigns, with the obvious exception of Mick in the 90s.  [And no, capping a clearly not ready Troy Parrot at 17 or whatever, when he was only ever eligible for us and was better off with the U21s is not thinking of the future].




Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 19 Nov 2022 at 12:38am
Back to Top
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Location: Oileán Ciarraí
Status: Offline
Points: 1980
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:


That's generally incorrect: 

Wales gave senior call ups and caps to most of their dual- and tri-eligible young players when they were still playing youth football or reserve football (sometimes having maybe a sub appearance in an EFL game).

I'm thinking of players like:
- Wilson (Liverpool academy player), 
- Woodburn (Liverpool academy player), 
- Matthew Smith at Man City academy, 
- Tyler Roberts at Leeds, 
- Brennan Johnson at Forest,
- Matondo (debut while an Academy player at City), 
- Devitt at Man U Academy, 
- Luke Harris, 17 year old Fulham academy lad who is eligible for us etc) or, at most, reserve football, 
- Ampadu (called up at 16 after 8 appearances for Exeter City in League 2) (whose Dad is from Dublin and played U21 for us).

There's loads others but I'm not bothered going through them.

NI have tried the same strategy recently (e.g.: Conor Bradley Liverpool academy, Shea Charles the Man City kid).

If Hodge or Smallbone had a Welsh granny, they'd both have senior call-ups and in Smallbone's case caps by now.  

Grealish and Rice would have been capped soon after their teenage debuts for Notts County and West Ham.  (And as Kenny correctly identified, should have been capped at senior level by us in a competitive game). 

It's a plain strategy by Wales.  Similar to their strategy applied a few years back to maximise ranking points in friendlies to get higher seed picks and easier groups (which they no longer need to do as they are already highish seeds).

And if we had the same strategy, we'd probably all be drinking Heineken Zero in Qatar right now. 

Even now we have the same failings.  Smallbone, Hodge and Ronan have all played premier league games and should be capped by us by now.  Instead, we're giving Jeff his 76th run-out.  It's similar to watching Glenn Whelan come on when we were 7-0 up against Gibralter in the Aviva, when a cap to a 17 year-old winger doing the business for Notts County (who had recently played GAA in Croker) was a real possibility.  Anyone tuning in to that league football highlights programme on Saturday night could see Grealish was quality. 

But there's been little thought for the future, throughout most manager's reigns, with the obvious exception of Mick in the 90s.  [And no, capping a clearly not ready Troy Parrot at 17 or whatever, when he was only ever eligible for us and was better off with the U21s is not thinking of the future].


Great post Clap
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 32474
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 8:00am
Hodge and Smallbone should be called up on merit. And more importantly, they offer something different and our midfield is in dire need of a player with some creativity.

Ronan should have been called into the squad too.

We didn't learn anything by bringing Hendrick or Brady on.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Back to Top
kevin100 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 01 Jul 2020
Location: Mallow
Status: Offline
Points: 2414
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

wales put those young players in their team because they were playing for their clubs. Our young lads (eg. hodge, Ferguson, idsh,  kellegher etc) are not so there’s v little basis to play them other than to deflect from poor performances by saying “we have young players playing”. This manager has codded everyone since day 1 talking about building for the future, playing young lads etc. Spoof merchant.
 

I would be here all day giving examples of players brought put in before they got a run at senior level! Ampadu Wilson two of note! Harris at Fulham the latest!

Meanwhile we have Hodge and Coventry who could be there on genuine merit and we are giving Hendrick his 176th cap! It’s getting boring!
Back to Top
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Location: Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 1760
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

That's generally incorrect: 


Superb post.
This was the window to bring in Hodge, Coventry, and Ronan and give all a look.
None may end up being good enough but get them in and around the squad and try them out.
And the thing is, had Kenny done that and we'd gotten beaten 2-1 the other night, there'd be far less noise about him.

The Hourihane calamitous sub-appearance v Armenia and then Hendrick the other day have done Kenny no amount of damage.

Back to Top
Heimatklange View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 05 Apr 2021
Status: Offline
Points: 489
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

wales put those young players in their team because they were playing for their clubs. Our young lads (eg. hodge, Ferguson, idsh,  kellegher etc) are not so there’s v little basis to play them other than to deflect from poor performances by saying “we have young players playing”. This manager has codded everyone since day 1 talking about building for the future, playing young lads etc. Spoof merchant.

That's generally incorrect: 

Wales gave senior call ups and caps to most of their dual- and tri-eligible young players when they were still playing youth football or reserve football (sometimes having maybe a sub appearance in an EFL game).

I'm thinking of players like:
- Wilson (Liverpool academy player), 
- Woodburn (Liverpool academy player), 
- Matthew Smith at Man City academy, 
- Tyler Roberts at Leeds, 
- Brennan Johnson at Forest,
- Matondo (debut while an Academy player at City), 
- Devitt at Man U Academy, 
- Luke Harris, 17 year old Fulham academy lad who is eligible for us etc) or, at most, reserve football, 
- Ampadu (called up at 16 after 8 appearances for Exeter City in League 2) (whose Dad is from Dublin and played U21 for us).

There's loads others but I'm not bothered going through them.

NI have tried the same strategy recently (e.g.: Conor Bradley Liverpool academy, Shea Charles the Man City kid).

If Hodge or Smallbone had a Welsh granny, they'd both have senior call-ups and in Smallbone's case caps by now.  

Grealish and Rice would have been capped soon after their teenage debuts for Notts County and West Ham.  (And as Kenny correctly identified, should have been capped at senior level by us in a competitive game). 

It's a plain strategy by Wales.  Similar to their strategy applied a few years back to maximise ranking points in friendlies to get higher seed picks and easier groups (which they no longer need to do as they are already highish seeds).

And if we had the same strategy, we'd probably all be drinking Heineken Zero in Qatar right now. 

Even now we have the same failings.  Smallbone, Hodge and Ronan have all played premier league games and should be capped by us by now.  Instead, we're giving Jeff his 76th run-out.  It's similar to watching Glenn Whelan come on when we were 7-0 up against Gibralter in the Aviva, when a cap to a 17 year-old winger doing the business for Notts County (who had recently played GAA in Croker) was a real possibility.  Anyone tuning in to that league football highlights programme on Saturday night could see Grealish was quality. 

But there's been little thought for the future, throughout most manager's reigns, with the obvious exception of Mick in the 90s.  [And no, capping a clearly not ready Troy Parrot at 17 or whatever, when he was only ever eligible for us and was better off with the U21s is not thinking of the future].


Clap

Post of the year 
Back to Top
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton


Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 4121
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Jonny Kenny has gone back to Celtic from Queens Park.  Scored 0 goals for QP and only started 2 games.  Scored for Celtic B on Tuesday night in a Challenge Cup defeat.  

Kenny is still at Queen's Park. Presumably is allowed to play for Celtic B also, has probably been training with both clubs in Glasgow.
Back to Top
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2021
Location: Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 2064
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

That's generally incorrect: 


Superb post.
This was the window to bring in Hodge, Coventry, and Ronan and give all a look.
None may end up being good enough but get them in and around the squad and try them out.
And the thing is, had Kenny done that and we'd gotten beaten 2-1 the other night, there'd be far less noise about him.

The Hourihane calamitous sub-appearance v Armenia and then Hendrick the other day have done Kenny no amount of damage.



Yeah spot on.

Kenny has even made himself sound silly too in his comments in regard to Ferguson in the days leading up to the Norway game.

'I know it’s an early promotion for Evan,' Kenny added. 'I suppose the way I have to look at it: if Evan goes on loan in January, which is quite possible, between March and June, which is a key time for us, we can’t predict how he will do, but if he went and did well and got regular gametime and scored goals, he could easily come into the picture in March or June.

'It can change that quickly. Everyone’s first loan isn’t always a success and we can’t count on that. He scores different types of goals, he scores great headed goals which is rare enough now, we are not producing that type of player.He’s a natural goalscorer and it will be good experience for him in the squad.

Surely theres a bigger possibility of Coventry, Ronan and Hodge all establishing themselves at their clubs our out on loan before Ferguson does? Chances are he goes out on loan to a League One or even League Two side at best and sees more minutes maybe grab a goal or two, similar to Odubeko, nothing to warrant a call up.


Back to Top
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton


Joined: 04 Aug 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 6086
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Jonny Kenny has gone back to Celtic from Queens Park.  Scored 0 goals for QP and only started 2 games.  Scored for Celtic B on Tuesday night in a Challenge Cup defeat.  
On the bench for Queen's Park today in the cup.
Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.