FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 329>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

So not declared, just eligible, and eire.guide are contacting the FAI on his behalf. As above, I'm surprised his club, or agent, aren't doing it for him.

Not really enquiring on his behalf.
More enquiring about the declaration, to find out the FAI's response would be my interpretation.

You need to get a wife beater and get onto his mother!

Eire Guide is a cracking page, my favourite of the Facebook Irish football accounts.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:31pm

So not declared, just eligible, and eire.guide are contacting the FAI on his behalf. As above, I'm surprised his club, or agent, aren't doing it for him.

Not really enquiring on his behalf.
More enquiring about the declaration, to find out the FAI's response would be my interpretation.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:07am
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Joel Bagan has declared for Ireland. Plays left back for Cardiff.

Where are you seeing that?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:33pm

only reference I can find is this tweet from eire guide
https://twitter.com/eireguide/status/1357353704408637445

I would've thought, in this day and age, it would be pretty straightforward for someone like him to contact the FAI vis-à-vis his intentions without getting a third party to do it for him [assuming any of this is true to begin with].
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:25pm
only reference I can find is this tweet from eire guide
https://twitter.com/eireguide/status/1357353704408637445
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Was it not working out for him in the Scottish underage set up? Is Noel King back on the payroll?
Maybe Mick McCarthy got in his ear
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

To be fair if I was an up and coming Scottish left back I'd declare for Ireland too. They have ridiculous quality in that position relative to the rest of their team.

Our Under 21s seem to have loads of left back options without having any obvious standouts. Richards, Furlong, Roughan, Burke, Connell, Ledwidge or O'Malley could all potentially play left back for the team. So he has as good a chance as any of them I guess.

Good point regarding Scotland’s left back options LOL

Edited by BrendanD88 - 04 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:18pm
To be fair if I was an up and coming Scottish left back I'd declare for Ireland too. They have ridiculous quality in that position relative to the rest of their team.

Our Under 21s seem to have loads of left back options without having any obvious standouts. Richards, Furlong, Roughan, Burke, Connell, Ledwidge or O'Malley could all potentially play left back for the team. So he has as good a chance as any of them I guess.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:59pm

Where are you seeing that?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:44pm

Was it not working out for him in the Scottish underage set up? Is Noel King back on the payroll?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:41pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:38pm
In terms of oconners best position, I've not seen enough of the games he played to form an opinion but I do hear he reads the game very well and holds the midfield line very well. He played in the defensive midfield role for our underage set up and also for tranmere in the mens game.

I guess I'd like to see him in the midfield role, mostly because we've got Collins, oshea, dunne and a few more good prospects in the cb role 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Lee O'Connor winning some high praise for his defensive midfield display the other day.

I wonder if that the position he plays going forward. We look ok in terms of future full backs at the minute. Would be good to have another midfielder coming through though.

Still can't keep thinking Celtic was a mistake for him.

I think it could be a wise move for him. He just isn’t really high flying up and down enough for what most teams look for in a fullback these days. A central role based more on intelligence and less on athleticism would be good. 

As his manager says though, he’s so intelligent. He’s the most intelligent youth player I’ve ever seen, he held back lines together single handedly in the u18s. His positioning and composure to read the game and work his way out of tricky spots were fantastic. There’s a reason he was captaining Manchester United and nominated for player of the year. He’s probably the best youth CB I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched plenty of internationals come through the ranks. 

I still think CB is his best and most natural position. Unfortunately a CB his size just doesn’t work in England though. I think he’d kill it in a weaker physically league like in Holland where you have small CBs like Daley Blind leading the way. He’s the type that would thrive as a CB under Pep, obviously though you have to be world class like Mascherano to get that chance with Pep. Trying to find that style in a weaker league somewhere though would suit him, he isn’t going to find it down the leagues in England. 

Celtic has been awful for him. He hasn’t progressed at all. His style was always gonna struggle to transition to senior football but he’s gone and chosen basically the worst possible environments for it. 

Agreed about O’Connor. Great to see him get a full season worth of games for Tranmere and hopefully he can kick on from it wether it’s Celtic or elsewhere. 

Blind indeed Lindelof is another defender who I think is so under appreciated its criminal guy is quality but CBs like that lacking physicality don’t tend to get credit in British football. 

What do people think is O’Connors position? 

Edited by kevin100 - 03 Feb 2021 at 5:20pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:12pm
Glad to hear of some good news about Lee O'Connor.
Should see him line out for the U21s next month, and a good remainder of the season will hopefully see him move on from Celtic.

Agree also about Luca Connell.
Hopefully also see him in the U21's (if not injured...seems to be a bit of a Darren Anderton) and also an exit from Celtic to get some football in the Summer.

IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 4:49pm

Lee O'Connor winning some high praise for his defensive midfield display the other day.

I wonder if that the position he plays going forward. We look ok in terms of future full backs at the minute. Would be good to have another midfielder coming through though.

I think it could be a wise move for him. He just isn’t really high flying up and down enough for what most teams look for in a fullback these days. A central role based more on intelligence and less on athleticism would be good. 

As his manager says though, he’s so intelligent. He’s the most intelligent youth player I’ve ever seen, he held back lines together single handedly in the u18s. His positioning and composure to read the game and work his way out of tricky spots were fantastic. There’s a reason he was captaining Manchester United and nominated for player of the year. He’s probably the best youth CB I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched plenty of internationals come through the ranks. 

I still think CB is his best and most natural position. Unfortunately a CB his size just doesn’t work in England though. I think he’d kill it in a weaker physically league like in Holland where you have small CBs like Daley Blind leading the way. He’s the type that would thrive as a CB under Pep, obviously though you have to be world class like Mascherano to get that chance with Pep. Trying to find that style in a weaker league somewhere though would suit him, he isn’t going to find it down the leagues in England. 

Celtic has been awful for him. He hasn’t progressed at all. His style was always gonna struggle to transition to senior football but he’s gone and chosen basically the worst possible environments for it. 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 4:46pm

It probably was but it is easier to say with hindsight. At the time Lee O'Connor and Frimpong signed on the same day (deadline day aug 19). Both young premier league prospects. Both went to celtic as there was the opening there to get chances behind el hamed and bauer (loan) . Frimpong got the chance and took it. Now he is at Leverkusen for 11m euros. 

Be interesting to see Lee's next move and if the managerial position changes at Celtic or even if it doesnt, does he go back. There could definitely be an opening there for him. Good to see him do well.

We just need Luca Connell to get some game time. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 4:32pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 329>
  Share Topic