You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 148>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 10:49am
Lovely squad. Back to 4 at the back hopefully. There are too many nice attacking midfielders there not to play to our strengths. Love Hodge. 
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 10:50am
Is the Eiran Cashin hold up due to passport delays or FIFA? I note he has played u18 so am thinking it's passport related rather than FIFA?

"Irish U21 manager Jim Crawford struggling to conceal his frustration at the fact the paperwork to clear Derby County's Eiran Cashin isn't yet through. He's going to join the squad in the hope he gets the green light during the international window"

Tweet by Gavin Cooney from 42.

Edited by colemanY2K - 26 May 2022 at 10:55am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:03am
Strong squad and guessing we will return to 4-3-3 for these games. Hard to call who will start up front but the rest of the team is fairly settled. Thought we might see Promise Omochere in there, he has been a real handful anytime I've seen him play for Bohs. 
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:06am
Great to see Joe Hodge. I didn't know much about him before he signed for Wolves but he has been excellent in our u23 team, looks a real talent.

Actually a very promising squad, the midfield in particular we need a few to establish themselves in men's football as the senior squad badly needs them.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:10am
Agree with all the above.
Sorry yeah, I missed out on the missing Cashin.
Good to hear he's linking up and it's just admin holding him back.

The midfield is especially strong, and the great hope is more than one of these guys gets established in the next two to three years at decent levels, and become regulars in the seniors.

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:19am
As much as on paper the midfield looks really quite strong, the u21's have not been great in possession this campaign, maybe its more down to crawfords tactics than the players though
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Lovely squad. Back to 4 at the back hopefully. There are too many nice attacking midfielders there not to play to our strengths. Love Hodge. 

Yeah, but unfortunately Jim Crawford is the coach.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:25am
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

As much as on paper the midfield looks really quite strong, the u21's have not been great in possession this campaign, maybe its more down to crawfords tactics than the players though

Am not gonna argue that point...
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:29am
Should Lee Harkin not be getting in squads?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Should Lee Harkin not be getting in squads?

No, he's just turned 19 and there's others ahead of him.
Should see him in the next campaign.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:35am
I'd have been a critic of Crawford's but tbf we looked a different animal when he finally went away from this tedious 4-3-3 possession style he was trying to play with one striker up top looking lost and went with 2 up top/5 at the back. 

I hope to god he sticks with the same formation as the Sweden game this time.

That midfield is very strong by any U21 standards if you look at the level some of them are at. Hopefully that will reflect in the senior side in the next few years. Coventry Kilkenny and Hodge all look the perfect type to slot in alongside Cullen in the coming years. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Really pleased with that squad. Cashin being the one that i would definitely like to see playing but looks like an admin issue.

Strong squad with some promising talent.

Looking to next year it would be good to see Springett, I'd like to see johansson and luka connell get another chance to promote themselves.

That's not going to happen now as they both age out after this campaign that most likely ends in this window, barring excellent results.

Johansson is on his first loan and if he's as good as was thought, should come on for that when he goes somewhere else next season.

Connell is playing senior football albeit at a very poor level.
Needs to push himself to get higher up the ladder, if he has that in him.

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Really pleased with that squad. Cashin being the one that i would definitely like to see playing but looks like an admin issue.

Strong squad with some promising talent.

Looking to next year it would be good to see Springett, I'd like to see johansson and luka connell get another chance to promote themselves.

That's not going to happen now as they both age out after this campaign that most likely ends in this window, barring excellent results.

Johansson is on his first loan and if he's as good as was thought, should come on for that when he goes somewhere else next season.

Connell is playing senior football albeit at a very poor level.
Needs to push himself to get higher up the ladder, if he has that in him.

Wouldn't agree that it's likely to end in this window.

I think it's pretty likely that we'll get a play-off out of this campaign.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Wouldn't agree that it's likely to end in this window.

I think it's pretty likely that we'll get a play-off out of this campaign.

I'm hopeful but not convinced.
We got a very late winner v Sweden at home and they dominated us away and I felt that 0-2 result flattered us considerably.

All the talk is two wins next, but both opponents can and will cause us problems.
Six points is a big ask.

Italy will beat us handily as they did before.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I'd have been a critic of Crawford's but tbf we looked a different animal when he finally went away from this tedious 4-3-3 possession style he was trying to play with one striker up top looking lost and went with 2 up top/5 at the back. 

I hope to god he sticks with the same formation as the Sweden game this time.

That midfield is very strong by any U21 standards if you look at the level some of them are at. Hopefully that will reflect in the senior side in the next few years. Coventry Kilkenny and Hodge all look the perfect type to slot in alongside Cullen in the coming years. 

As we went defensive to get a result. Good chance we spent more time in a 5-4-1 than we did actually playing 3-5-2. With CBs named I doubt he's gonna play three at the back too.

Edited by J89 - 26 May 2022 at 12:22pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 12:25pm
https://www.the42.ie/eiran-cashin-ireland-5774652-May2022/

Good article on the squad and the Cashin issues.

Edited by Fozz - 26 May 2022 at 12:25pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:01pm
Anybody know what’s happening re Okoflex ? You’d think he should be in the squad.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:33pm
There was a case of a wrong document handed in which caused a problem, there’s been family holidays, there was another issue, among others

Looks like a lot of the blame is being thrown back at the player, wrong document,holiday - the other issue is an interesting one, wonder is there another interested party?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 148>
  Share Topic