You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

So who do people think are the most likely candidates to move up the seniors 

Personally I'd like to see : Smallbone, Coventry 100% brought up even if it is for Kenny to have a look at them at a training level (I know Coventry was called up before)

I know he gets a bit of stick but Lee O'Connor and Festy should be brought up it will probably be Coleman's last campaign next season so these two will probably be the backup and again will benefit from the experience (I know both have had spells)

Outside of those, perhaps Connolly to step back up, Wright maybe again to have a look in a senior perspective.

I'd imagine the likes of Kilkenny and Noss were injured but those two perhaps too?

Not much time left for experimentation, 2 friendlies in November. For me Smallbone definitely and Connolly if he's playing regularly for Venezia are the only two who definitely should, maybe Azaz, maybe Ebosele. 

No way should O'Connor be called up - Mc Namara is playing Chship, Sykes too, Lyons will be in January, O'Connor isnt close (He's a L2 CDM atm) and certainly not if we are going to continue with wing backs (I'd like to see us try 433 vs Malta at least, but that's another argument). 

Coventry is not going to play enough, if any, senior football between now and January, but we are very short on options there, so he's a maybe. Kilkenny needs to get fit and back in the Stoke team to be even considered. Noss would need to be playing regularly for his first team which is unlikely.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

So who do people think are the most likely candidates to move up the seniorsΒ 

Personally I'd like to see : Smallbone, Coventry 100% brought up even if it is for Kenny to have a look at them at a training level (I know Coventry was called up before)

I know he gets a bit of stick but Lee O'Connor and Festy should be brought up it will probably be Coleman's last campaign next season so these two will probably be the backup and again will benefit from the experience (I know both have had spells)

Outside of those, perhaps Connolly to step back up, Wright maybe again to have a look in a senior perspective.

I'd imagine the likes of Kilkenny and Noss were injured but those two perhaps too?

Smallbone I think will 100% get a call up in November. Coventry I could see brought in to train and Connolly similar might return to the squad. Would like to see Finn Azaz called up as he's performing in a good Plymouth team. Honestly can't see anyone else being called up.

KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Crawford said he was going to step away after this campaign. I think Mohan is ready to step up as his replacement. He knows the talent pool coming through better than anyone and has done well with the U19s and U17s. 

When did he say this?
He was referencing the next campaign in the post-match interview last night, and that suggested to me that it was his campaign to run.

I'd be happy to see change.

He said he wanted a senior job and he'd weigh up his options at the end of this campaign in an interview he did on the second captains podcast before the first leg of the play off. The way he was talking, it sounded to me like he had made his mind up but he might have been overly optimistic about us qualifying and his stock rising.  
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:42pm
Bohs job maybe.  I hope not.  Season tickets would be handed back πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
AKA pedantic kunt
Phil Babb View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Babb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:47pm
Crawford is heavily fancied for the Bohs job which may be a double blessing 1) We get a competant manager at 21 level and 2) he'll take Bohs down.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Bohs job maybe.  I hope not.  Season tickets would be handed back πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

LOL
White smoke coming soon on that front I believe 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:53pm
So with that campaign done, almost the entire squad ages out.

Players that can stay on:

-GK-
Keeley

-DF-
Ebosele, Roughan, Adaramola, Garcia MacNulty,

-MF-
Hodge, Phillips

-FWD-
Odubeko, Ferguson, O'Neill, Costelloe, Burns, Sinclair Armstrong

Near total rebuild for the next campaign.

Surely there's going to be a couple of friendlies organised for November? Would be a major missed opportunity if not, particularly if there's to be a new manager (hopefully there is).
That would be 6 months without games (September to March).

Edited by Greenie50 - 28 Sep 2022 at 1:54pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

-GK-
Keeley

-DF-

-MF-
Hodge, Phillips

-FWD-

Surely there's going to be a couple of friendlies organised for November? Would be a major missed opportunity if not, particularly if there's to be a new manager (hopefully there is).

I'm not sure Festy will take the call for the next U21s tbh particularly if Crawford is manager. Given he had issues already, his lack of game time over the last week cant have pleased him. I know there's a rebuild required, but you just listed 13/14 players most with decent experience/ability for that level. I wouldnt worry too much, looks to me like we'll be competitive again at least. Forward options are very strong imo.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

-GK-
Keeley

-DF-

-MF-
Hodge, Phillips

-FWD-

I'm not sure Festy will take the call for the next U21s tbh particularly if Crawford is manager. Given he had issues already, his lack of game time over the last week cant have pleased him. I know there's a rebuild required, but you just listed 13/14 players most with decent experience/ability for that level. I wouldnt worry too much, looks to me like we'll be competitive again at least. Forward options are very strong imo.

Okoflex should also come in.

I'd be quite excited for the next campaign but if we stick with JC, then less so as he's shown to be a negative/conservative coach.
Would rather we get Mohan up, or someone new altogether, who will get the players to express themselves as we have a lot of exciting attacking talent in this age-group.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:55pm
A lot of anger towards Crawford. Was he the manager for the whole campaign? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Yep, and the last couple of games in the previous campaign.

We rode a lot of luck to get that playoff spot and then we tossed it away with a lack of conviction in Dublin and a lack of ambition in Tel Aviv.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:10pm

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Yep, and the last couple of games in the previous campaign.

We rode a lot of luck to get that playoff spot and then we tossed it away with a lack of conviction in Dublin and a lack of ambition in Tel Aviv.

Fully agree and I actually think he had the players to go out and play attractive aggressive attacking football, but he never really let them off the leash, particularly in the 2 play off games. I'd imagine those lads are regretting not just having a go at the Israelis, who were decent but very beatable. I feel Crawford really underestimated our own ability relative to Israel. Disappointing end to the campaign, but not overly surprising that it happened in the manner it did.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:53pm

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

-GK-
Keeley

-DF-

-MF-
Hodge, Phillips

-FWD-

Okoflex should also come in.

I'd be quite excited for the next campaign but if we stick with JC, then less so as he's shown to be a negative/conservative coach.
Would rather we get Mohan up, or someone new altogether, who will get the players to express themselves as we have a lot of exciting attacking talent in this age-group.

For sure. I was just listing the few from this campaign that can carry over.

There's plenty talent in the 02/03 still to come in, & a few 04 lads, maybe even a couple of 05 lads (Ferizaj definitely).
But we need a progressive coach who will pick the most talented players & get them playing good football.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:21pm
hope he gets the boys job Handshake
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:48pm
It's ironic that the most successful Under 21 manager that we ever had who has had 1 campaign and two games in the other campaign is wanted out but Stephen Kenny our most unsuccessful senior manager ever you'd want to keep. 

Be the holy 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 1:28am
We've been pitifully unsuccessful at this level so JC deserves credit for getting us this close to the finals tournament. Nobody else, including Kenny, managed that. Hanging on at 0-0 was the best chance we had to qualify after failing to win in Dublin so give him credit for managing that. Even if we did have to play MONball to do it. I'd rather lose for the seniors now than go back to playing turgid hoofball but just on that one occasion the result maybe more important than the performance.
The penalties didn't go our way but there's a huge element of luck in shootouts.
Parrott to drop down to 21's for next campaign maybe? Ermm 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 10:30am
Whatever your opinion on Crawford is he has found a good one in Finn Azaz - was really impressed with him the other night. I'm a Ross Tierney fan but Azaz was a major upgrade when he came on. Two good feet, composed, strong & always picked the right pass..a proper no. 10. Would call him straight up in November to see how he goes as gives us something different especially with Connor Ronan not playing any first team football.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Whatever your opinion on Crawford is he has found a good one in Finn Azaz - was really impressed with him the other night. I'm a Ross Tierney fan but Azaz was a major upgrade when he came on. Two good feet, composed, strong & always picked the right pass..a proper no. 10. Would call him straight up in November to see how he goes as gives us something different especially with Connor Ronan not playing any first team football.

Thought he was excellent also, but I'd caution against judging a player on a 25 minute cameo (plus 30 in et where he faded a bit, but so did the team and Smallbone/Connolly who he had linked well with had both gone off) who came on vs a tiring Israel side. Thats not to say he doesnt look an exciting prospect, but I'd imagine a little bit more homework might be required, he's still playing L1 football.

In any case, looks like a lad with potential, but I'd still have Smallbone ahead of him as regards elevation to the seniors, probably no harm to promote both for November however. Those two and Connolly look like the only ones worth promoting tbh. 

Coventry is a maybe for me, but unfortunately he is unlikely to play enough football between now and then, no harm having a look I suppose vs Malta- I'm not convinced he's ready yet - hasnt really done anything of note above L1 level, things didnt work out for him at Peterboeo in the Chship. Needs a good Chship loan in January imo to really work his way in to the seniors. We undoubtedly need cover for Cullen, so he has every chance in that regard.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148>
  Share Topic