You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 103>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:00am
We no longer play Italy last as was the original fixture order. Anyway qualification looks very assured right now.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

We no longer play Italy last as was the original fixture order. Anyway qualification looks very assured right now.
It’s very simple beat Iceland and Luxembourg (no exaggeration that’s something we should expect to do) and 22 points will have us I suspect well inside the top 5. A draw or better against Italy will have us competing for top spot even a draw or 7 points from or last 3 games as they have to play Sweden twice and go to that wind tunnel Iceland are using for their home games so who’s to say they won’t drop points there too. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Play Italy first an even bigger opportunity. From what I see Italy are playing Sweden and Iceland away before they play us so if they drop points in one of those games (not a million to one) it dangles an all merciful carrott we go over to Italy knowing a win puts us top and nearly qualifies us. 👀👀
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:02pm
All to play for, especially with Italy's tough set of fixtures as detailed above.
I'm not to worried about bleed to the senior squad as we have a lot of players ready to step up from the 19's level.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 2:21pm
We should be able to put out a cracking under 21 team by our standards

Kelleher
L O'Connor Collins Masterson T O'Connor
Coventry Knight
Smallbone Ronan Parrott
Idah

Plus Bazunu, Hodge, Connell, Kilkenny, Ferry, Elbouzedi, Afolabi etc.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Kelleher
Coventry Knight
Smallbone Ronan Parrott
Idah

Even without Connolly, oshea, obafemi and molumby that is a good looking line up.

I'd probably have Hodge ahead of Ronan but I'm splitting hairs here 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Kelleher
Coventry Knight
Smallbone Ronan Parrott
Idah

Even without Connolly, oshea, obafemi and molumby that is a good looking line up.

I'd probably have Hodge ahead of Ronan but I'm splitting hairs here 

Ronan has been sensational in this campaign tbf to him, and he has a good bit of senior football under his belt. Can't see him being dropped. Does Hodge not play a bit deeper in any case?
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 3:07pm
I could see Knight moving up to the senior squad before too long, Hodge would be favourite to get his position in the Under 21s then.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 3:13pm
Masterson, Parrott, Smallbone and Idah all have a change of being included in the senior squad.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:18pm
I think Parrot is an out and out centre forward/striker if ever there was one. Should play alongside Idah.
'Sensational' is a gross exaggeration of Ronan's season.......he's played in the Slovakian league and League 1 and done alright in both.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I think Parrot is an out and out centre forward/striker if ever there was one. Should play alongside Idah.
'Sensational' is a gross exaggeration of Ronan's season.......he's played in the Slovakian league and League 1 and done alright in both.
He wasn't referring to his league season I don't think, even though that has been respectable.
His form for Ireland has been sensational I'd say.
Was influential to a heavy degree in every match I saw and came on at HT for Molumby v's Sweden to change the game.

No call-up to the seniors though until he sorts decent club form at a better team than L1 so a shoe-in for our final 21's matches.
As for Hodge, may be in the squad and then by the time the next 21 season comes around he may well be in the seniors, if he gets a loan somewhere decent this season and impresses.

Edited by Fozz - 06 Aug 2020 at 4:28pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:32pm

Sorry, should add...agree on Troy but if he gets game-time soon for Millwall and looks half decent, its the seniors for him for sure.
Be interesting to compare himself and Idah next season at the same level...here's hoping they both shoot the lights out!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:14pm

You obviously can't read particularly well. I said he's been sensational in this campaign (hint: it's the U-21's, stupid). 
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:15pm
Oh you mean the 2021 under-21 qualifying campaign in which he was only in the team 2 our of 6 matches last season including being subbed after an ineffectual hour against Italy and a so-so performance against Armenia before being dropped again. Would that be the 'sensational campaign' you are referring to OS? 
Perhaps you are confusing him with Molumby who actually has been impressive for us  or else just talking out your hole again because of your mindless adulation for any English footballer with an Irish granny?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:10pm

Kelleher
Coventry Knight
Smallbone Ronan Parrott
Idah

Your potentially looking at Bazunu Collins and Hodge taking the places of the talented young lads looking to play for the seniors. 3 lads who are essentially to their positions what Troy Parrott is to Idah Connolly Obafemi (Kelleher Travers O’Shea Masterson Molumby Smallbone Knight etc look right good prospects but the the 3 lads mentioned above to step in to the team have arguably bigger reputations at least than the lads they are replacing) We could field 2/3 teams for this thing and come out with a half decent 3rd team genuinely have that much depth so no fear of being weakened by 3/4 moving up to the seniors. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:38pm
Connolly, oshea, obafemi and molumby are likely strong contenders for the seniors squad.

Knight and smallbone have a good outside chance 

Get a few games under their belt next season and Parrott, Idah, Masterson and collins might not be far off either.

New season starts in a few weeks but the next 6 months look very promising 

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:35am
I think Bazunu is going to be a better keeper than Kelleher ultimately. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:29am
Kelleher, Bazunu and Travers have good potential to become good keepers. Its too early to see which of these will be the stand out keeper... if any.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 103>
  Share Topic