You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ukraine Away 14 June 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 2:38pm
Things escalated significantly yesterday...
US State Department placed Ukraine on LEVEL 4: DO NOT TRAVEL due to high risk of Russian military offensive.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

yeah but the uncertainty around the venue would stop me booking just yet

I know.  I booked straight away but probably safer to wait now assuming prices have shot up.  If it is in Lviv I have booked to soon and there are clearly better ways to get there.  Pretty much anywhere else though and via Kyiv is the way to go.  

The problem is we may not know the venue for a few months.  Of course the political situation is another concern.

Agreed - Armenia is tougher to get to but is bookable now so might lock that in.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 8:20am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

US State Department placed Ukraine on LEVEL 4: DO NOT TRAVEL due to high risk of Russian military offensive.
Probably played in a different country at this stage
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

A la Georgia in Mainz in 2008, you mean? 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

A la Georgia in Mainz in 2008, you mean? 
Correct 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 12:07pm

Yeah Russia Wink

Edited by Denis Irwin - 22 Dec 2021 at 12:07pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 12:57pm
You would imagine Poland being the best option
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 3:33pm
I dont have a great knowledge of Kiev, what would be the best part of the city for nightlife etc..
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I dont have a great knowledge of Kiev, what would be the best part of the city for nightlife etc..

I haven't specifically checked Kiev but the general rule is if a city is split into an old and new town, go for the old town. That's what I did anyway. As always it's a free cancellation booking so I can change it if need be.
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I spent a day there on the way to Baku and the city centre itself is very walkable with distances not being to far apart. Anywhere in the centre from the Golden Gates to Poshtova ploshcha would be a good spot to look at. The stadium is a short walk away from here too. 
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 12:20pm
are people booking flights at this point or just hotels? Considering the political landscape and the fact Kiev isn’t confirmed I’m just curious.
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 12:39pm

are people booking flights at this point or just hotels? Considering the political landscape and the fact Kiev isn’t confirmed I’m just curious.

Im doubtful there will be any major upheaval that will need the match to be played at a neutral venue. 
Booked the Ryanair flight from Kyiv to Dublin on the Thursday which gives me a day to travel if match is played elsewhere. Cost €37 so not much to lose and can be changed without penalty if need be. Will probably fly there direct from Yerevan so will book that at a later stage. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 12:50pm
All booked up for Scotland away flights and accommodation.
Just accommodation booked for Yerevan but will look at booking flights in the next six weeks.
Ukraine. Nothing booked will book a hotel on free cancellation soon. Won't be booking flights until the political situation stabalise.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 8:54pm

Will wait till venue confirmed before I look at this - definitely plan on going COVID/Russians permitting unless there is the requirement to test to get home which may put a spanner in the works (can’t afford to isolate abroad especially time  ) 

Have an inbound Scotland flight booked as much for convenience  as  anything else ( poor times into Belfast ) 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 9:12pm
Very happy to wait until i feel the time is right , hey just back from London for the NY , i think it was easier getting to Tibet than in and out of London . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Very happy to wait until i feel the time is right , hey just back from London for the NY , i think it was easier getting to Tibet than in and out of London . 

Trains cancelled ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Trains cancelled ? 
PCR test , checks at the airport going and coming back and to top it all off a poor 15 year old was murdered less than a mile away where we were staying .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:00am

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Trains cancelled ? 
PCR test , checks at the airport going and coming back and to top it all off a poor 15 year old was murdered less than a mile away where we were staying .

You can do a walk through antigen test at Londons airports for a few quid, a PCR is not required. the checks after that are minimal.

... and that's when flying to Ireland. Flying to UK now is no different to how it was pre-pandemic. No tests, locator forms etc. needed. I'm currently sitting in the departure lounge at Cork Airport at the moment. My biggest headache is trying to find somewhere selling coffee LOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
  Share Topic