You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 534>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:26pm
When I say political, I mean that he is trying to court support of both sides by not stating a position, or saying anything. It’s “political” in the grubby sense of saying the “right thing” in order to court as much soft support as you can get. This was not his style. And that’s why this approach is transparent in this political sense
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

When I say political, I mean that he is trying to court support of both sides by not stating a position, or saying anything. It’s “political” in the grubby sense of saying the “right thing” in order to court as much soft support as you can get. This was not his style. And that’s why this approach is transparent in this political sense
I see it as compromise, something I see as necessary. I don’t think it is political at all, it would be far more political to give the media the answer they want.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:28pm
That would be partisan, which in fairness, is something Corbyn has been for the vast majority of his political career. To me, this smacks entirely of the “centrist” approach as a convenient way of avoiding hard questions, in an attempt to target as much of the political landscape as possible. The problem for Corbyn is that this is the wrong issue for that as people have made up their minds either way. Some favour getting a deal and leaving, some revoking or stopping it somehow, and others what a hard Brexit). Nobody wants the offer of a referendum which may not have the backing of its proponent. There are very few people who care how their side is represented and their wishes implemented. It’s a sad fact of Brexit, as the mental gymnastics of both sides have been remarkable.

But at best it’s the veneer of compromise. In reality it’s trying to be all things to all people, on an issue that isn’t suited to it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:33pm
I disagree completely. It is entirely about compromise. The whole myth of Brexit was created to destroy the working class ( including those who think they aren’t) and blame Europe for the consequences and,depressingly, it’s worked.

Funnily enough though, according to data I came across from the party, Corbyn’s support is growing amongst remainers while holding within strong leave circles. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:39pm
The data may be correct. But that doesn’t mean that Corbyn’s strategy has some how cracked the code. Like I said, it avoids having to answer the hard questions by saying “let the people decide”. This was the approach taken by Syriza in Greece during the final bail-out talks, and that proved a disaster.

Also, if this was in normal times I’d be cynical, but in election times I get very wary, and to avoiding a hard question, which Corbyn has struggled with since the first referendum was called. In representative democracy you ought to be willing to make strong decisions and choices, and sometimes make unpopular decisions.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:43pm
His position is the same as mine, pretty much has been from the start. It’s a non-binary question that has become a monster and for trying to be measured and decent people will sl*g him off. If he could round the circle he would get sl*gged off by the media anyway. 
It’s depressing as f**k. I hate people and I despise the media. Pass the diazepam anyway, I need to go practice my French.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:19pm
My personal prediction is that both Tories and Labour will lose seats.
Lib Dems being the biggest winners, followed by SNP then Brexit Party with minor gains.

End up in a rainbow coalition which will collapse within 6 months and another GE will happen.

The last time a GE was held in December a Tory government called it and the said scenario happened, I think we'll see it again.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Lib Dems being the biggest winners, followed by SNP then Brexit Party with minor gains.

End up in a rainbow coalition which will collapse within 6 months and another GE will happen.

The last time a GE was held in December a Tory government called it and the said scenario happened, I think we'll see it again.

Brexit party will implode. They won't win a seat. SNP should make some decent gains. The Tories will have a majority. Labour will lose seats. The Lib Dems might gain a few. But nothing substantial. In the North SDLP to gain two- Foyle and South Belfast. Sinn Fein will end with 6 or maybe 7 if Finucane wins in North Belfast. Most likely 6 though. DUP probably end with 10 again. Lose South Belfast and gain North Down though Alliance have a shout there.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

That would be partisan, which in fairness, is something Corbyn has been for the vast majority of his political career. To me, this smacks entirely of the “centrist” approach as a convenient way of avoiding hard questions, in an attempt to target as much of the political landscape as possible. The problem for Corbyn is that this is the wrong issue for that as people have made up their minds either way. Some favour getting a deal and leaving, some revoking or stopping it somehow, and others what a hard Brexit). Nobody wants the offer of a referendum which may not have the backing of its proponent. There are very few people who care how their side is represented and their wishes implemented. It’s a sad fact of Brexit, as the mental gymnastics of both sides have been remarkable.

But at best it’s the veneer of compromise. In reality it’s trying to be all things to all people, on an issue that isn’t suited to it.

Labour's position is a nonsense. They will negotiate a new deal which will mean brexit but will then put that to the people with remain as the other option. They won't however confirm whether they will campaign for their own deal. In fact they may even campaign against it. Corbyn is being crucified on that point.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:56pm
The alternatives are a bigger nonsense. That’s the problem! If the Tories get in you will have xenophobia and racism turned up to eleven, Boris still hasn’t distanced himself from Stevie Lennon’s support, which says it all.
If the Tories in sandals were to get in, in reality they are just using Brexit to hoover up support from the neoliberal wings of the other parties, there would be carnage. 
I would rather that nonsense to either.

I can’t see Swinson gaining many seats, people are starting to realise her true colours. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Brexit party will implode. They won't win a seat. SNP should make some decent gains. The Tories will have a majority. Labour will lose seats. The Lib Dems might gain a few. But nothing substantial. In the North SDLP to gain two- Foyle and South Belfast. Sinn Fein will end with 6 or maybe 7 if Finucane wins in North Belfast. Most likely 6 though. DUP probably end with 10 again. Lose South Belfast and gain North Down though Alliance have a shout there.

Sorry but as my previous post, this is incorrect.

Even in my own constituency they're polling 2nd in which is has always been a Labour held. Such the stain the likes of Tommy Robinson has left campaigning around here.
Even after Nissan cut its work force and cut its production and threatened to move completely, the inbreds around here still genuinely think a hard Brexit is best for Sunderland!

As per my previous post the BP seem to be targeting the more deprived areas in the North East and East coast with high % leave votes - Hartlepool and Grimsby are considered to be huge targets for them and I think they'll get them unfortunately. 

Cannot see where a Tory majority will come from, expecting to see both Labour and Torys moved aside in Scotland in place of Lib Dem/SNP and then you have the ousted MP's who refused to rejoin the whip - Amber Rudd springs to mind which Labour will most definitely want to win I'll be amazed if they even reach 300! I'd also be amazed if Labour hit Ed Milibands dire result this is how of a stalemate British politics is in.

230 will be enough to see a rainbow coalition however with the seats I'm expecting LD/SNP to gain hence my prediction.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:42pm
Swinson will do f**k all in Scotland, the SNP will clean up. They will get a mandate for a second referendum and, if they get it, it will sail through. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Swinson will do f**k all in Scotland, the SNP will clean up. They will get a mandate for a second referendum and, if they get it, it will sail through. 

What about the remain voters who aren't interested in breaking the Union?

SNP won East Fife by 2 votes

Gordon voted 60% remain and Alex Salmond has been found to be a sex pest so he won't be getting that seat back anytime soon LOL
Ross, Skye and Lochaber is another example.

Good few seats up there for the LD'd to claim but the Tories and Labour can say goodbye.

Edited by coyne - 20 Nov 2019 at 5:49pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 6:00pm

They will not sail through it - they need to work out a position with an Eu land border which will require time 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

They will not sail through it - they need to work out a position with an Eu land border which will require time 

I meant the result, obviously the actual negotiations will take time, see Brexit.

Salmons isn’t winning any seat at all as he isn’t standing. My only prediction is the SNP will be close to fifty seats, one of which will be Swinson’s.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:31pm
The referendum result ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

The referendum result ?
If there is a second referendum, of which there is no guarantee, Scotland will say yes. I think it will be comfortable too. This election and Brexit have been a godsend for those who want an independent Scotland. They will be erecting statues to the buffoon.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Sorry but as my previous post, this is incorrect.

Even in my own constituency they're polling 2nd in which is has always been a Labour held. Such the stain the likes of Tommy Robinson has left campaigning around here.
Even after Nissan cut its work force and cut its production and threatened to move completely, the inbreds around here still genuinely think a hard Brexit is best for Sunderland!

As per my previous post the BP seem to be targeting the more deprived areas in the North East and East coast with high % leave votes - Hartlepool and Grimsby are considered to be huge targets for them and I think they'll get them unfortunately. 

Cannot see where a Tory majority will come from, expecting to see both Labour and Torys moved aside in Scotland in place of Lib Dem/SNP and then you have the ousted MP's who refused to rejoin the whip - Amber Rudd springs to mind which Labour will most definitely want to win I'll be amazed if they even reach 300! I'd also be amazed if Labour hit Ed Milibands dire result this is how of a stalemate British politics is in.

230 will be enough to see a rainbow coalition however with the seats I'm expecting LD/SNP to gain hence my prediction.

The Brexit party won't win a seat. First past the Post f**ks them. I would hazard a guess that the 3 main parties plus the SNP will be 340 or so Tory seats, 215 odd Labour seats, 25-30 Lib Dems and 40-45 SNP. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 534>
  Share Topic