You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 396397398399400 535>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Attention seeker George Galloway intends to stand against Tom Watson at the next election.

You might not like Galloway but there's a lot more to him than simply being an attention seeker. 

He certainly knows how to debate and deal with hostile interviewers. Clap

In fairness you could say the same about people like Ben Shapiro.

Galloway is one of those politicians I like seeing losing elections.

Ah come on Hetfield LOL

You're comparing a skilled politician like Galloway with helium boy. Galloway irrespective of whether you like his political viewpoints can at least argue his case. There's no substance to Ben Shapiro who just parrots right talking points over and over. 

All you need to do is to compare Andrew Neil's interviews with Galloway and Shapiro and see how they handle a skilled interviewer like Neil. 

You're probably more of a Christopher Hitchens man yah? Wink

You could also consider several of the interviews between Galloway and Paxman where Paxman managed to get Galloway to lose his rag, and hilarity ensued. Galloway’s a good debater, but that about the height of it. He enjoys the sound of his own voice, and on a simple political level I never liked him or his platform.

But you probably call me right on Hitchens, even if light struggles
to penetrate some of his writings!

If you're going to charge Galloway with loving the sound of his own voice then you should not be praising Jeremy Paxman above all people in the same sentence. His interviews with Galloway after he was elected in Bradford and in London before that were very unprofessional and petty. Galloway handled those intervews very well. 

David Mitchell (the comedian) sums up Paxman to a tee on how he conducts himself in political interviews. Paxman is more concerned with making himself look good rather than engage in any meaningful discourse.  

Andrew Neil is a conservative but a fantastic interviewer who calls it out on both sides. He's a much better example to give when an interviewer really tests Galloway. 

Hitchens's debate with Galloway was brilliant but his support for the Iraq War was disgraceful. 

I wouldn’t say I praised Paxman. But Galloway lost the rag.

Hitchens volte face on Iraq was his downfall in my eyes. But he had been breaking with the “anti-war” movement for most of the 1990s, so it was probably a likely outcome, notwithstanding what we knew then and know now.

Not to labour the point (excuse the pun) too much but Paxman's opening question was outrageous to ask someone who was just elected if he was proud of getting rid of the only black woman MP (of her party?) in parliament. That's a pathetic cheap shot and Galloway was right to tackle him on it. I don't see that as him losing the rag tbh. 

Agree regarding Iraq, Tony Blair would've probably went down as one of Britain's best PM's (Good economy/ Good on the Northern peace process, ) if he didn't go into Iraq and cosy up to that buffoon in the White House. Same with Lyndon Johnson and the Vietnam War. Johnson had hugely popular domestic policies on social and environmental issues and would've went down in history as a decent U.S. president but for the Vietnam War. 

The guy threatened to walk off the interview in a huff, as he wasn’t congratulating him on what was the most “sensational electoral victories of modern times”.

The problem with Iraq it came after a relatively successful period of intervention, and the general political consensus was that it worked all the time. Equally what happened in Rwanda was prescient on the minds of a lot of politicians who failed to act. The mass public opinion against it and the dubious acceptance of information was at odds with what Blair had generally been like, who know how to court public opinion. He was very much on the ropes from then.  

Well it was a surprise in fairness to Galloway to take a labour seat but leaving his blusterous self-praise aside Paxman was very bit as at fault as Galloway was in that interview. When you start an interview in bad faith and deliberatly set out to 'win' the argument rather than ask legitimate probing questions, then you're primarily the reason for the interview going tits up. It's hard to blame someone for wanting to walk off an intervew in those circumstances. It was more of a hit job. 

I enjoyed Paxman's interview with Martin McGuinness where he was professional but he has an awful petty streak about him too. 

But it was a often asked question at the time. Especially as there were vulnerable seats elsewhere that could have been chosen. As such, I wouldn’t consider it a bad faith question, even if it could have been asked in a more tactful way. In fairness, Galloway didn’t walk off, and it’s a rarity that somebody does. That particular campaign was especially hostile and it spilled over quite a bit.

I’ve actually never seen the MMG interview, but will make sure to watch it.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 4:07pm
It's a pity seeing the end of This Week with Andrew Neil steppping down. A brilliant show. Neil is probably the best political interviewer of the lot. 

http://https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/andrew-neil-bbc-this-week-final-episode-politics-tv-a9010566.html

The interview with Alex Jones (on Sunday politics) was comedy gold. LOL

Edited by irishmufc - 19 Jul 2019 at 4:08pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:11pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:12pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:52pm
I'm not a party man but I thought was Coveney was pretty good on Andrew Marr's program this morning regarding Brexit. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 1:24pm

I'm not a party man but I thought was Coveney was pretty good on Andrew Marr's program this morning regarding Brexit. 
I’m as far from a FG man as you can get and have little time for Coveney at all, or his family, but he has been excellent whenever he has been on the BBC on Brexit. He is a fine speaker, never gets flustered and always gets his point across.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:54pm
It's all kicking off this week.

UK is gonna have a new PM the next 48 hours.
Lib Dems have voted for Jo Swinson as their next leader.

Because of that, the Labour party, the party of equality is the only major party to never have a female leader and with all the antisemitism stuff still going on, has prompted a possible vote of no confidence on Corbyn.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 7:30am
Official result at 11:40 today.

Party-wide polls suggests Boris has won with 60-65% of the vote
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 7:51am
Shows the state of the Conservative party/ UK politics when a clown like Johnson is going to be leader/PM

To paraphrase Bette Davies ‘ fasten your seatbelts its going to be a bumpy ride ‘

The English are under serious collective delusion

Edited by Newryrep - 23 Jul 2019 at 7:53am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 8:40am
The biggest problem I see is not him personally, any daft policies he comes up with simply won’t get through the Commons as he doesn’t have the numbers.

It’s the absolute inbreds and idiots who will be getting top jobs; Hammond was a rare consolation in a poor government and hes dead as a dodo. Nasty people like McVey will be in contention.
The biggest worry is where JRM will end up, he’s enjoying not being in the media spotlight atm but I imagine if he wanted a top job he’d get it
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:02am
he will be elected today, 
make his maiden speech to the house on thursday 
goes on holidays on friday
back again in 5 weeks time. 

sometime for Boris baby! 

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 23 Jul 2019 at 9:46am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The biggest problem I see is not him personally, any daft policies he comes up with simply won’t get through the Commons as he doesn’t have the numbers.

It’s the absolute inbreds and idiots who will be getting top jobs; Hammond was a rare consolation in a poor government and hes dead as a dodo. Nasty people like McVey will be in contention.
The biggest worry is where JRM will end up, he’s enjoying not being in the media spotlight atm but I imagine if he wanted a top job he’d get it

I’m really trying to figure out what the plan is. We all know the “buffoon” thing is an act, but I doubt he was interested in the job if the terms were the same as what May was having to deal with. To your point, without the numbers, nothing can be done. So, is it the case that he will permit Brexit, call a pre Christmas election, and hope that he can mop up the vast majority of the Brexit community, and hope that the Lexit vote goes to The Brexit Party this sufficiently eating into the Labour vote to allow an overall majority, while expecting the LDs the SNP and GP to make certain gains from the remain community.

Such a strategy could lead to a hung parliament, with a ragbag of MPs doing little or nothing, until another election is called, under exactly the same terms.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:34am

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I’m really trying to figure out what the plan is. We all know the “buffoon” thing is an act, but I doubt he was interested in the job if the terms were the same as what May was having to deal with. To your point, without the numbers, nothing can be done. So, is it the case that he will permit Brexit, call a pre Christmas election, and hope that he can mop up the vast majority of the Brexit community, and hope that the Lexit vote goes to The Brexit Party this sufficiently eating into the Labour vote to allow an overall majority, while expecting the LDs the SNP and GP to make certain gains from the remain community.

Such a strategy could lead to a hung parliament, with a ragbag of MPs doing little or nothing, until another election is called, under exactly the same terms.

He wants to suspend Parliament in the build up to October 31st which suggests to me the plan for the next 5 months is to get Brexit done under any circumstances so that he can say he fulfilled his promise as his major campaign slogan for increasing his seat count in the Commons.

I think you're right, I think there will be an election before Xmas but only once Brexit is done and it'll be used as a bargaining chip. 
I think he'll get a majority if the plan works, Labour are beyond pathetic at this stage, Corbyn's peaked with Labour, he's a good guy and he did his best but not only is the antisemitism stuff still going on they're now the only major party who's never had a female leader - The self proclaimed party of equality couldn't be more inequality if they tried!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 11:08am
I think Corbyn’s biggest problem is after today, Labour will be the
 only party with no clear position on Brexit, and I feel the public are done with that. Boris is likely to proceed, the LDs will re-double their efforts to kybosh Brexit, and they will be joined by the other smaller parties.

The best we have from Labour is that they will oppose “no deal” if it’s happening under the Tories, or a Tory deal, without any sight of it. This doesn’t make clear at all whether Labour would fall into the default of a no-deal Brexit, or if they would support their own deal, which gives rise to Brexit.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 12:09pm
Welp. It's official. Boris Johnson is Prime Minister of the UK as of tomorrow.

About a 75% vote in his favour.

Them 6/1 odds I considered back in November I should of taken Unhappy
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 12:21pm
The first thing he said as leader

"Thank you, and good morning"  the time was 12:04, followed by a very un-prime ministerial speech

May as well start as you mean to continue.

It'll be interesting if nothing else.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 12:31pm
I'm looking forward to his reactions when the EU start giving him a hard time.

Last time he failed spectacularly by labelling all French people as a bunch of turds LOL
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
England and I mean England has never sank so low. Racism and nationalism is what this is all about plus making the mega rich richer.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 396397398399400 535>
  Share Topic