You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 534>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:29am
Not sure how you’d class that as a good few days for labour - even less likely now they get in the next time.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Not sure how you’d class that as a good few days for labour - even less likely now they get in the next time.
We need a Labour Party, not even more neo-liberalism. Your one who left last night wouldn’t even have been selected next time. A few of the others would’ve been debatable too.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

We need a Labour Party, not even more neo-liberalism. Your one who left last night wouldn’t even have been selected next time. A few of the others would’ve been debatable too.

What we need is a Labour Party with a clear and consistent Brexit policy (ideally advocating remain) whilst also tackling the anti-semitism that obviously exists. It’s all very well saying that’s been blown up by the right (which it obviously has) but it still exists. And it’s possible to have a Labour Party that still opposes the actions of Israel. But Corbyn just doesn’t seem to want to address these issues - he should be making hay while the Tories are on the verge of implosion, instead he’s allowing Labour to give them a run for their money. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:55am
Brexit is hugely difficult for Labour, far more so than the Tories. Labour can’t just turn around to whole constituencies that voted leave and tell them that they are wrong. It highlights  the very reason why they voted that way in the first place; which is a lack of trust in the political system. This constant need to tell people they are stupid or racist or whatever else is unhelpful, but the party that has represented these constituencies for generations telling them they know best could be fatal. A lot of people are ignoring that. 

Only those in the PLP are truly aware if there is anti-Semitism or any other form of racism in it. I saw some of the horrendous abuse Berger got on Twitter, but Labour cannot be responsible for Twitter. Perhaps Corbyn could have shown a more united front with Berger, I think he has more or less conceded that, but there was a personal breakdown there too.
The only examples of anti-Semitism from within the party that have made it public have been dismissed, even by independent Jewish observers, as they were over disagreements regarding Israeli policy in Gaza. 
That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, but discussing something intangible only muddies the waters. It still amazes me that possible anti-Semitism is a bigger issue than institutionalised racism in the Tories. Not prejudice either, but balls deep racism!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:23pm
Screaming anti-semitism is consistently used as the ultimate smokescreen for any pro-Israel mouthpiece which is primarily designed to shut down debate about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. They don't have any legal,moral or justifiable argument for the illegal settlements and excessive use of military force on an enclosed civilian population. 

Lets just switch the argument to anti-semitism as being the bigger issue rather than holding states like Israel to account. It doesn't have to be either or. You can be critical of Israeli foreign and domestic policy in a logical sense and still tackle anti-semitism at home. 

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Feb 2019 at 12:25pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Screaming anti-semitism is consistently used as the ultimate smokescreen for any pro-Israel mouthpiece which is primarily designed to shut down debate about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. They don't have any legal,moral or justifiable argument for the illegal settlements and excessive use of military force on an enclosed civilian population. 

Lets just switch the argument to anti-semitism as being the bigger issue rather than holding states like Israel to account. 

Clap

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm

Lets just switch the argument to anti-semitism as being the bigger issue rather than holding states like Israel to account. It doesn't have to be either or. You can be critical of Israeli foreign and domestic policy in a logical sense and still tackle anti-semitism at home. 

Beautiful Muff Clap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:35pm

There is a lot of truth in that, unquestionably. I mean why would the Jewish Chronicle ignore incidents in the Tories but make a massive deal of any incidents in Labour.

The bigger problem, not just in politics or individual parties, is the muddying of the waters around what is and isn’t anti-Semitic, often by Zionists. At last years Labour Conference there were three supposed incidents, all from members of the Labour Friends of Israel, all of them made the news, all of them dismissed. Joan Ryan was involved in one. 
On the flip side of that, possibly as a result, you have people on social media who use horrific anti-Semitic racism to voice their anti-Zionism, which is not only needlessly wrong, but helps strengthen Israel’s hand here. They don’t need any help!
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:37pm
Your one who said she left as she couldn't tolerate the rampant anti-semitism in the party, does that mean that for the best part of a year or longer she was able to tolerate. If it is as big of an issue as she says, surely by not immediately leaving the party when she became aware of it she was complicit in it?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Your one who said she left as she couldn't tolerate the rampant anti-semitism in the party, does that mean that for the best part of a year or longer she was able to tolerate. If it is as big of an issue as she says, surely by not immediately leaving the party when she became aware of it she was complicit in it?
She lost a vote of no confidence in September and has had a mediocre political career. She was going to get the nod next time. That’s when it became intolerable. Funny tinge’s are fine though!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:49pm

She is a British citizen and nothing else. When Islamic extremists are selling their ideals to vulnerable and disillusioned British Muslims, the first thing they tell them is that Britain doesn’t see them as British. Up to now, that just meant the people who abused them on the street, now it means the government. I am angry about it and I am far from a Daesh/ISIS sympathiser, imagine how  any that are sympathetic and frustrated with Britain feel? It is incredibly reckless and knee-jerk.
If her family weren’t from Bangladesh, if she was a white British convert to the religion who went gave Jihadism a go, but had a parent born elsewhere, anywhere, her citizenship would not be revoked. It is, less than a year after Windrush, racist. But it is ok to be racist to her because she joined ISIS, which is unhelpful to everyone and endangers people in Britain. 
Britain has to accept some responsibility for her. 
Now, she must be accountable for her actions too, but as a British citizen. Will they strip it from the sprog too, just to be safe?

I wouldn’t agree that this outcome wouldn’t happen to a “white British convert” , who had parents with alternative citizenship. We simply cannot know how a person of different characteristics would be treated in the same situation , as this is the first case that I have encountered which deals with these factors. Ms Begum’s characteristics are incidental, and the real issue is her participation in IS. She has also exacerbated the situation with her comments at the weekend, which indicates somebody who maintains sympathetic views to IS and their religious supremacy and acts committed in its name.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 1:05pm
But the fact she is being treated on those characteristics is enough.
No matter what else she is, she is a British citizen and a product of British society. If she was being extradited by a state, it wouldn’t be to Bangladesh.
Her actions in joining IS have to be dealt with, I am in no way saying she should move back and it all be forgotten, she should be accountable to British justice, as any other British citizen would.
Her views are not relevant to her nationality either, otherwise you are opening up another can of worms. They can certainly be taken on board for her punishment and rehabilitation, but not her nationality.

Also, what say does Bangladesh have in this? Why should they be made responsible for her? She isn’t a product of Bangladeshi society! She has never set foot in the place! 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 1:48pm

But the fact she is being treated on those characteristics is enough.
No matter what else she is, she is a British citizen and a product of British society. If she was being extradited by a state, it wouldn’t be to Bangladesh.
Her actions in joining IS have to be dealt with, I am in no way saying she should move back and it all be forgotten, she should be accountable to British justice, as any other British citizen would.
Her views are not relevant to her nationality either, otherwise you are opening up another can of worms. They can certainly be taken on board for her punishment and rehabilitation, but not her nationality.

Also, what say does Bangladesh have in this? Why should they be made responsible for her? She isn’t a product of Bangladeshi society! She has never set foot in the place! 

The issue is not so much nationality as citizenship. Citizenship is revocable, and there is the belief amongst some that she falls within the criteria. This will be subject to serious legal scrutiny, and she will have significant legal recourse and protections. But I don’t believe laws which revoke citizenship are automatically racist. They apply to all who cannot be left stateless, so they are ensured of statehood.

In this specific case, I agree with your views on what Bangladesh has to do with it, or why thy should carry the can. They will have their own laws which will undoubtedly impact the case. I also believe bringing her home could have the benefits of her understanding of matters key to security. If she is open to
discussing when, where and how she was radicalised, and who radicalised her that could be valuable in the fight against ISIS. I feel these are questions that won’t be answered if she doesn’t return
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:00pm
You can’t have a British society that sees Mo Farah, for example, as a hero and at the same time rejects that Begum is British.
I understand citizenship is not the same as nationality, but the way it is being done, for political point scoring leaves it open to be interpreted as racist. Legally, she has an incredibly strong case, which backs this up. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:09pm

You can’t have a British society that sees Mo Farah, for example, as a hero and at the same time rejects that Begum is British.
I understand citizenship is not the same as nationality, but the way it is being done, for political point scoring leaves it open to be interpreted as racist. Legally, she has an incredibly strong case, which backs this up. 

But you’ll notice that there has been very little done to champion her case from any side of the political divide, which is why I feel there is no racial aspect to this. Again, this returns it to the involvement of ISIS in this case. Also, there remains legitimate safety concerns which will have to be dispelled.

Legally, it will all come down to whether she will or will not be left stateless. The facts of that will only come out in the fullness of time as the process trundles on, however, she is being legally represented and will have due process available.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm

Muff, I’m going to run an internal security check on your profile to see who has hacked your account and posted something relevant and sensible. Dont worry pal, ill get to the bottom of it.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:46pm
@Hetfield

Not sure if it's in your legal field but would the Irish (or British state in this Begum case) not reserve the right to just revoke your citizenship if it's been proven you left the country to join or assist an extremist/designated terrorist organisation such as ISIS and simply just leave you in Syria? 

Would you need to be brought back to the country for trial first?   

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Feb 2019 at 2:47pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:52pm

@Hetfield

Not sure if it's in your legal field but would the Irish (or British state in this Begum case) not reserve the right to just revoke your citizenship if it's been proven you left the country to join or assist an extremist/designated terrorist organisation such as ISIS and simply just leave you in Syria? 

Would you need to be brought back to the country for trial first?   

It’s not really my field! However, the manner in which this case has played out would suggest the discretion is left with the HS and the HO when it comes to the revocation of citizenship The Courts can then be employed in an Administrative Law capacity to determine the legality of the decision and test the facts, fairness and jurisdiction against the law.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 534>
  Share Topic