You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 534>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 4:53pm
That type of approach worked sooo well for Greece in 2015.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 4:59pm
what does the U.K. have to sell to the EU that the EU can source within the EU 27?

May be of oil and weapons - some royal family memorabilia?

Can someone in the know tell me?

Edit: not that we are in any better position.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 13 Dec 2018 at 5:00pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

what does the U.K. have to sell to the EU that the EU can source within the EU 27?

Cars, electric cars! Like the Nissan one which takes 24 hours to charge for a 6 hour journey!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 5:01pm
Prince Charlie's virginity.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Cars, electric cars! Like the Nissan one which takes 24 hours to charge for a 6 hour journey!
Nissan could move that factory anywhere in Europe with minimal upheaval 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Yup. And it would actually cripple the North East.

Middlesbrough is already crippled from the factory closures which lost 5 figure jobs
Newcastle would be rocked by it but it'd recover 
Sunderland would just be dead in the water, it already has the 2nd highest unemployment in the country and that's with Nissan.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 6:45pm
Some of those workers voted for it so have zero sympathy for those that did
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm

Indeed. The EU concluded a deal this week with Japan after 5 years of talks. The deal will come into effect in early 2019. The EU can now import Japanese vehicles (free from tariffs) direct from Japan. If or when the UK leaves the Customs Union and Single Market how long will it be before the Japanese close the plants????

Edited by colemanY2K - 13 Dec 2018 at 7:37pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:39am

Jaguar Land Rover has announced lay offs of nearly 400 agency workers as it moves production of the Discovery model to Slovakia #Brexit

Tis only the tip of the iceberg.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:08am
Land Rover goes overseas.  That's new USP.

How stupid will they feel when Brexit doesn't happenLOL

The shipping industry are all taking their ships and trade overseas too.  Some of them have been leaving in their droves from Dover and Folkestone and other ports.  I think some of the companies are indecisive whether to stay in the UK or not as some of them keep coming back and then leaving again.

Edited by Trap junior - 14 Dec 2018 at 10:14am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Jaguar Land Rover has announced lay offs of nearly 400 agency workers as it moves production of the Discovery model to Slovakia #Brexit

Tis only the tip of the iceberg.
Sure look at GM in the US, it’s the exact same scenario & as Dinny says some of these idiots voted for Brexit (Trump)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The shipping industry are all taking their ships and trade overseas too.  Some of them have been leaving in their droves from Dover and Folkestone and other ports.  I think some of the companies are indecisive whether to stay in the UK or not as some of them keep coming back and then leaving again.

Not very. These decisions have to be taken now and not left to the last-minute 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Dig up stupid!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:50am

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Dig up stupid!
Apologies misread your post Embarrassed

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:56am

Indeed. The EU concluded a deal this week with Japan after 5 years of talks. The deal will come into effect in early 2019. The EU can now import Japanese vehicles (free from tariffs) direct from Japan. If or when the UK leaves the Customs Union and Single Market how long will it be before the Japanese close the plants????
I believe the Nissan plant is safe in Sunderland for the most of a decade. By safe, I don't mean it will necessarily be on the same size or there won't be job losses, especially after a no-deal Brexit, but it is almost unthinkable they would close their biggest European plant after sinking so much into the place.
What is most likely to happen in the event of tariffs being added to Uk made cars being sold in the EU is that they will gradually start downsizing and make cars solely for the UK market. There will probably be a spike in UK made car sales in Britain. I believe Nissan have a similar plant in St. Petersburg for the Russian market.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I believe the Nissan plant is safe in Sunderland for the most of a decade. By safe, I don't mean it will necessarily be on the same size or there won't be job losses, especially after a no-deal Brexit, but it is almost unthinkable they would close their biggest European plant after sinking so much into the place.
What is most likely to happen in the event of tariffs being added to Uk made cars being sold in the EU is that they will gradually start downsizing and make cars solely for the UK market. There will probably be a spike in UK made car sales in Britain. I believe Nissan have a similar plant in St. Petersburg for the Russian market.

The plant in question is a monster within the industry though, it’s bigger than a lot of European countries total motor industry. Europe is by far its biggest market and if production slows due to tariffs etc id doubt Nissan would have issue with moving the plant. 

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:13am
I can only see two options A No Deal, or a referendum to stay. 

No matter what deal options are struck with the EU it will never ever come remotely close to satisfying everyone and will be shot down again and again, a new leader, a general election, a labour government same sh*t. 

When they eventualy vote to remain back in the EU, The Brexiteers can go back to shouting against the man, and the circle will continue EU bad, imperialist superior Britishness is better 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:16am
I don't think even a company like Nissan could just up-sticks overnight. That is why they will be in the area for at least a decade or so. What is most likely to happen, as I alluded to above, is that they will start downsizing and leave the Sunderland plant for the UK domestic market. It will certainly lead to job losses.

It will essentially be Brexit in microcosm; the damage will be longer term and longer lasting. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 534>
  Share Topic