You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 534>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

The EU is bringing in a similar system to ESTA for citizens of 3rd countries wishing to travel to the EU. The UK is likely to be a 3rd country following brexit. What this means for the 9.2 million Brits with a criminal record is that they could find themselves unable to go on their sun holidays to the Costa That of course assumes ETIAS is applied in a similar way to ESTA. It'll cost €7 and likely to take 3 days to process.

What this means for the NI/Ireland border crossing is not clear. if a hard brexit occurs the ETIAS system makes the border harder. 

Doubt the spainish soild want to block that cash cow and what happens if I'm in Gibraltar and want to nip down to the local beach for an afternoon. (Current leaders of) Countries like Poland and Hungary on the other hand would welcome it to match their hard immigration vote getttins tactic.

It's happening. It passed the first hurdle today and will be in place in a few years. If anything the Spanish will push for it if it causes greater difficulty for those on the rock. 
But they won't block the 9m crims that's for sure - that's was my point. There will be special cases made for the likes of the UK and Norway.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 25 Apr 2018 at 7:18pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

I dunno what you's 2 are laughing at mind.. They didn't list Ireland as the countries involved so you're paying the fee too! LOL

Non EU citizens good lad 

Ireland aint part of the schengen area and Ireland wasn't listed in the tweet

Hello Darkness My Old Friend.. I've come to talk with you again.

Ireland as a member of the EU enjoys the four freedoms. One of which is the freedom of movement. To put a barrier in place would be in contravention of EU law. 

Wouldn't be so sure you know. All the flags missing from that list are currently non-EU (or leaving the EU) countries except the Irish flag. Irish flag was the only EU country not to be listed.

Do think you's will get a bad deal from this.

Ah dude just stop. The four freedoms are the fundamental pillars upon which the EU is based on. As I said preventing EU citizens from crossing borders within the EU is illegal unless it can be demonstrated they are a danger to the country they wish to visit.

What ETIAS means for Ireland is that it is now unlikely that we'll end up joining Schengen - as it would immediately cause a problem for those in NI.

To answer your question I simply don't know what will happen after Brexit assuming it happens at all.

Ireland isn't in Schengen hence why the flag doesn't appear. We'll continue to flash our passports at immigration as we currently do.

Edited by colemanY2K - 25 Apr 2018 at 7:16pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:23pm

The EU is bringing in a similar system to ESTA for citizens of 3rd countries wishing to travel to the EU. The UK is likely to be a 3rd country following brexit. What this means for the 9.2 million Brits with a criminal record is that they could find themselves unable to go on their sun holidays to the Costa That of course assumes ETIAS is applied in a similar way to ESTA. It'll cost €7 and likely to take 3 days to process.

What this means for the NI/Ireland border crossing is not clear. if a hard brexit occurs the ETIAS system makes the border harder. 

Doubt the spainish soild want to block that cash cow and what happens if I'm in Gibraltar and want to nip down to the local beach for an afternoon. (Current leaders of) Countries like Poland and Hungary on the other hand would welcome it to match their hard immigration vote getttins tactic.

It's happening. It passed the first hurdle today and will be in place in a few years. If anything the Spanish will push for it if it causes greater difficulty for those on the rock. 
But they won't block the 9m crims that's for sure - that's was my point. There will be special cases made for the likes of the UK and Norway.

I wouldn't be so sure. There maybe leniency for minor indiscretions but I wouldn't bank on it. 

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:25pm

I dunno what you's 2 are laughing at mind.. They didn't list Ireland as the countries involved so you're paying the fee too! LOL

Non EU citizens good lad 

Ireland as a member of the EU enjoys the four freedoms. One of which is the freedom of movement. To put a barrier in place would be in contravention of EU law. 

Wouldn't be so sure you know. All the flags missing from that list are currently non-EU (or leaving the EU) countries except the Irish flag. Irish flag was the only EU country not to be listed.

Ah dude just stop. The four freedoms are the fundamental pillars upon which the EU is based on. As I said preventing EU citizens from crossing borders within the EU is illegal unless it can be demonstrated they are a danger to the country they wish to visit.

Yeah I got that the first time round, but you're forgetting this is the EU we're talking about here.
People who claim they're democratic but turn a blind eye to Police abroad kicking the f**k out of protesters in the middle of Barcelona.

What I'm trying to say is, its their rules when it suits them. Thumbs Up 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:47pm

Non EU citizens good lad 

Yeah I got that the first time round, but you're forgetting this is the EU we're talking about here.
People who claim they're democratic but turn a blind eye to Police abroad kicking the f**k out of protesters in the middle of Barcelona.

What I'm trying to say is, its their rules when it suits them. Thumbs Up 

Nonsense.

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:55pm
Coyne, it would take a massive unilateral overhaul before this could happen. Which in itself couldn’t happen. Any rule changes will only impact the UK and won’t be detrimental to those who remain EU Citizens.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:58pm
Is that number right? 9M brits have a criminal record.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Coyne, it would take a massive unilateral overhaul before this could happen. Which in itself couldn’t happen. Any rule changes will only impact the UK and won’t be detrimental to those who remain EU Citizens.

Tbf they've got bigger issues with it than Ireland/UK. It's the Swiss they've got the worry about the most being non-EU but part of the schegen area.

It's too much fuss being discussed for the sake of a fiver in British notes and something which wont be implemented until I'm going through a midlife crisis and watching Eastenders becomes the highlight of my evening.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Is that number right? 9M brits have a criminal record.

correction, it's actually 11 million.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/28/ten-things-you-should-know-if-you-have-a-criminal-record-7029074/

Edited by colemanY2K - 25 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:06pm
Rudd resigns as Home Secretary 

Not before time 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:10pm
A vile woman.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:25pm

Not before time 

At least she has eventually taken responsibility. Heads deserved to roll, and the buck stops with her.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Not before time 

At least she has eventually taken responsibility. Heads deserved to roll, and the buck stops with her.

I would argue the buck stops with May too given she was Home Secretary too during that period 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 29 Apr 2018 at 10:35pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:34pm
The buck stops with May.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:36pm

I would argue the buck stops with May to given she was Home Secretary too during that period 

There is a solid argument to that. It would actually make a difference to a Government which is crippled with inactivity at the moment.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:12pm
Was this not just a pointless resignation?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

It's a pointless government.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Rearranging the deckchairs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 534>
  Share Topic