You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 535>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:40pm
Surprised YouGov and The Sun haven't made a story about it yet Sid!

But that's shocking fake sh*t LOL
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:41pm
@Coleman. Not being biased but I think the Labour defeat is being blown out of proportion here.

They're not going to win but I think they're capable of preventing a Tory majority.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

According to youguv the Tories are on course to win a majority of seats in Wales for the first time since the 1850's. The poll shows labour will be the one's to lose out with PC and LD holding their seats.

A disastrous election is on the cards for labour and their future existence will come into question.

Are we really listening to a poll ran by the Tories though? Of course it's gonna be biased! 

In a few weeks time we'll have all the heavyweights like Murdoch popping up like an unwanted zit throwing lies about Corbyn in the front pages.

Whilst yougov has Tory roots it is afterall a PLC therefore credibility in what it does is of paramounce to the company.

Btw the poll was carried out for ITV-Cymru Wales and Cardiff University’s Wales Governance Centre, had a sample of 1029 Welsh adults and was carried out by YouGov from 19-21 January 2017.

The folks above drafted the question not yougov. If I was a labour supporter I would be inconsolable at the moment. The future for the party looks grim.
While even I, as an admirer of Corbyn, evn if he is a bit too far to the right for me, can concede things are grim, I can never understand the term 'Labour supporter'. I find it utterly bizarre to 'support' any political party for anything but their policies, it seems incredibly bizarre, they're not football teams!
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:44pm

@Coleman. Not being biased but I think the Labour defeat is being blown out of proportion here.

They're not going to win but I think they're capable of preventing a Tory majority.
there's so much fake news and sh*te floating about i don't know what to believe but it does appear labour are in for a hiding.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:26pm

there's so much fake news and sh*te floating about i don't know what to believe but it does appear labour are in for a hiding. [/QUOTE]

The damage is in relation to the safe seats. I think most swing seats will go from Labour, and the recent by-election disaster will be instructive in relation to the safe seats.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:32pm
SNP's Steven Paterson. Cool Just became a favourite of mine. 

He's also on the campaign trail for better Mental heath treatment, attacked May for it today in PMQ's Clap
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:06pm
Peter Lilley standing down as an MP after 44 years. Didn't realise he was still one. Amazing how long some of these odious f**ks can last as MPs
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Keano2000 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keano2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:38pm
David Ward sacked by Tim Farron after accusations of antisemitism.  Good decision from Farron but I fear it's too little too late, PR disaster for the Lib Dems.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:10pm
True that. John McDonnell is about to hit 20 years as an MP.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:24pm
Last few days has confirmed what I already knew. If the Tories win the majority, everything is getting scrapped and the cost of living is gonna immensely rise.

I simply don't understand why anyone would vote for higher taxes, higher VAT, higher cost of living, pension rises being scrapped, NHS funding at it's absolute lowest, school funding at its lowest.

Can someone enlighten me? As much as Corbyn can be an absolute fool sometimes, he's nowhere near as bad as listed above.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:20pm

Last few days has confirmed what I already knew. If the Tories win the majority, everything is getting scrapped and the cost of living is gonna immensely rise.

I simply don't understand why anyone would vote for higher taxes, higher VAT, higher cost of living, pension rises being scrapped, NHS funding at it's absolute lowest, school funding at its lowest.

Can someone enlighten me? As much as Corbyn can be an absolute fool sometimes, he's nowhere near as bad as listed above.

It is more than just Corbyn being a bit of an old codger in the Bernie Sanders mould. Between the nuts and bolts of his limited, and poor policy platform, his front bench (particularly McDonnell), and the manner in which he has led the party since 2015 I don't believe its a surprise that people don't want him near the halls of power.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 11:09pm
Only follow the doings of these buckos over in the UK from afar, I get far too annoyed by our own shower to start worrying too much about the UK lads. 

So, Brexit, can anyone actually explain it rationally ??

The UK people, much like most other electorates, at least 50% made up of idiots who don't really know what they are voting for, voted to leave the EU. 

This was because of the likes of the UKIP, some right leaning Tories and the Daily Mail decided the EU was having too much say in their affairs, including economically & probably the one that got the most attention, immigration laws, leading to much facts/scaremongering (depending on yer point of view) about the amount of same entering the UK. 

Cameron loses vote, May is new PM, and even though she wanted to stay in the EU herself, goes along with the wishes of the people. 

Immigration - I have been to a few English cities, as I imagine most on here have. They would be very multicultural in comparison to anywhere here, bar maybe Dublin, or one of those towns in Galway that is full of Brazilians who work in the local meat factory. In the case of the UK, this didn't happen today nor yesterday, there are generations of lads there in various cities that originally came from another country. Probably no point mentioning the colonial past of the UK may have had something to do with this.  

Did anyone suggest to the electorate  that, as regards barring immigrants well, that ship kind of sailed a good while back ?? Bit late now, I would have thought. 

Economically, the UK have their own currency, so as regards EU countries, they weren't doing too badly within the EU as regards having some degree of control over their finances, unlike say, us here in Ireland.

The EU is now saying that various activities in the financial centre of London will be taxed to the bollix, and there isn't much the UK can do about it. The EU says it will prioritise its own few million citizens living in the UK, and has the implicit threat of doing whatever the UK does to them, back to UK citizens living in the EU, whatever that may be, but possibly enough to make the UK govt back down a bit. Get the impression that mass deportations won't be the order of the day. 

Is it oversimplifying all this to say that looking at it casually, it looks like a very expensive way of refusing a few hundred Syrians refugee status ?? 

And if it is more complex than that, why hasn't anyone like May, Boris or any of the other Tory talking heads been able to explain what it is, what the implications of it are for them, and what they intend doing when they reach this new utopia in a few years time ?? 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:15am
Brexit has always been an immigration thing, always has been and always will be.

If you compare the Leave EU campaign and Donald Trump's presidential campaign there is absolutely no differences; They both had a pack of lies with the main motto being 'keep the refugees out'and both even had stage cameo's from Nigel Farage making a twat of himself they were that similar!
None of the pledges made for Leave EU will happen a bit like when Trump pledged to get rid of Obamacare, yet another similarity. 

£350 million for the NHS? Boris and Michael Gove actually voted against it!
Stay in the single market? Leaving the single market!

Edited by coyne - 28 Apr 2017 at 12:15am
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:35am
This is the thing that gets me about Brexit. 48% were happy to stay in the EU. That means, without more, the same 48% were happy with things like the customs union, free movement, common agriculture policy, competition rules and trade agreements.

Now, of the 52%, I think it very fair to say that at least a certain percentage of them were in favour of the customs union, a certain percentage in favour of agriculture policy, a certain percentage in favour of the EU controlling trade agreements, and maybe even free movement etc etc etc.

Now, because of the wishes of "the majority", the UK is being removed from the customs union, free movement, etc etc, despite the fact there were a myriad of reasons for voting for Brexit and it could well be the case that the majority of people, on an issue by issue basis, reject the form that Brexit is taking.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:40am
I would imagine the NHS pledge was a massive reason in the yes vote. People in the UK are very passionate about the NHS and rightly so.
How it didn't get more media attention when they voted no in the Brexit amendments is shocking. Especially when Brexit's own chief campaigners in Boris and Gove voted no to them.

The British public were suckered into these false claims from politicians with their own personal agenda's, except from UKIP, they had absolutely no interest in Brexit, the only thing they cared about was throwing David Cameron out of office by defeating him. But by the time party elections came the backstabbers started backstabbing each other and none of them got it, Gove doesn't even have a job he's that untrustworthy now! 

If you look at the bigger picture it's astonishing how 1 greedy person's actions caused a chain of events; If Gove settled for the 2nd top job and backed Boris, we'd be in a Pro-EU government right now as Brexit was never their intention and more than likely not in a GE also.

Warmonger Blair recently pointed this out and I hate to say it but he's right - The UK are getting a Brexit they didn't ask for.

Edited by coyne - 28 Apr 2017 at 1:09am
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 1:59am
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:38am
@Deise...

Personally I think the immigration issue is being overblown as the main reason for the Brexit vote. Certainly that is the case in the South East of England and London in particular.

I was surprised to discover the vast majority of my colleagues (very well paid and in safe civil servant jobs) voted to leave. It might be the case that the remainers in the office are staying shtum and the balance isn't so one sided.

In the 10 months or so since Brexit, I have discovered, through discussions with the leavers, their primary reason for voting to leave was down to the Bloc's interference with domestic British affairs e.g. European Court of Justice rulings trumping the courts in the UK.

It seems the British (I'm referring solely to the English) are a bit peeved that their position in the world is not what it once was. They seem to crave for the 'glory days' and were not one bit happy with their sovereignty being eroded slowly over time. They see the decline of the country all around them and have lashed out.

The Brexit vote is the result. A result due to decades of empire brainwashing on the general public.

Who knows what lies ahead...

Edited by colemanY2K - 28 Apr 2017 at 10:40am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:13am
Brexit voters also hate the metric system. Thank Allah they'll now be free from its oppression.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 535>
  Share Topic