Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Women's EURO 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UEFA Women's EURO 2022
    Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 9:40am
Kicks off tonight as host England play Austria.

The English will be looking to go far with home advantage but it's hard to look past the quartet of France, Sweden, Netherlands and Germany, Spain also high up in the odds though they suffered a big blow yesterday with Alexia Putellas being ruled out.
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 9:47pm
Northern Ireland to their credit have really dug in the second half here. Very big gulf in class but they didn't capitulate 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 11:52am
Do think Norway will go far , the #10 was outstanding on the ball 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Northern Ireland to their credit have really dug in the second half here. Very big gulf in class but they didn't capitulate 

Yeah I really worried about them when they were 2 down after 13 minutes. Norway are another of those top level Women's team though, so was no real surprise.

England for all the media hype around them I thought faltered to deceive, they missed a load of great chances which they won't be afforded against the likes of Norway, Sweden,France, Germany, Spain for example. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 8:16pm
The pen for England Embarrassed and now 2-0 after 15 mins 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Yeah I really worried about them when they were 2 down after 13 minutes. Norway are another of those top level Women's team though, so was no real surprise.

England for all the media hype around them I thought faltered to deceive, they missed a load of great chances which they won't be afforded against the likes of Norway, Sweden,France, Germany, Spain for example. 
Managed OK against Norway tonight....seen second half, one thing I noticed that every one of the 15 players featured for England were white. A bit odd ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 10:01pm
Wow did not expect that
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:43pm
Was at the Germany Austria match tonight. First women's game for myself and have to say it was a great night out, would definitely go again. On another day Austria could have taken the game to ET but the Germans were just that little bit better.

A nice tribute to uwe seeler at the start and a few uwe chants throughout.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 10:16pm
Set up of this is f**king ridiculous.  England and Germany get an extra two days over their semi final opponents. No reason why the quarter finals can't be played over two days

Edited by Denis Irwin - 22 Jul 2022 at 10:17pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 10:51am
Yeah some of the organisation for it seems a bit unfair, but it was similar for the Men's Euro's remember in 2016 we played France two days after our game with Italy they had about a week off albeit that was the last 16 games

But I agree they could have had two Quarters Finals on the same day though perhaps they wanted to maximise TV viewership.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 11:34am
They had a great turnout in Brentford the other night for the Germany Austria match. It was ~1000 shy of capacity...while criticism of the schedule is fair the organisers either smartly or by fluke arranged for Germany to play most of their matches in Brentford which is only just across the river from the largest German speaking community in London (Richmond and Ham). German was the second most common spoken language in the borough up to a few years ago and is regularly heard on the streets so credit is due there in that respect imo.

Edited by colemanY2K - 25 Jul 2022 at 11:38am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

They had a great turnout in Brentford the other night for the Germany Austria match. It was ~1000 shy of capacity...while criticism of the schedule is fair the organisers either smartly or by fluke arranged for Germany to play most of their matches in Brentford which is only just across the river from the largest German speaking community in London (Richmond and Ham). German was the second most common spoken language in the borough up to a few years ago and is regularly heard on the streets so credit is due there in that respect imo.

I think the venues of the games we allocated after the draw so probably smart planning.

The Germans do usually travel well too so that could be a case for high attendances in their games of course too.

Similar to how the Dutch have too.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I think the venues of the games we allocated after the draw so probably smart planning.

The Germans do usually travel well too so that could be a case for high attendances in their games of course too.

Similar to how the Dutch have too.

The German 'Fan Club' were in front of us waving a couple of hundred German flags along with a bird flaking a drum to get the singing going. I presume they travelled.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 10:15am
Another impressive victory from England last night, will football be coming home?
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 4:00pm

Another impressive victory from England last night, will football be coming home?

Having now seen England live and close-up twice recently, one of the the things that most impresses me is their physical conditioning.

Clearly they have the skills, pace and tactical awareness etc that you expect in all teams at that level, but individually, every one of them is immensely strong, both on and off the ball.

A good example was that Russo backheel where, after her initial shot was parried, a Swedish defender tried to shoulder her off the ball. This had no impact whatever, allowing Russo to steady herself for her second attempt.

And I suspect that this is why England appear to get stronger as games progress i.e. it's also a case of the opposition getting weaker, after 60 or 70 minutes of being continually outmuscled in one-on-ones.

Which in turn explains why their substitutes have been so effective i.e. they get to come on against opponents who are by then already physically exhausted.

Edited by Territorial - 27 Jul 2022 at 4:03pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 4:28pm

they're looking good that's for sure. 
i reckon france would give them more of a game than germany. it should be a cracker tonight.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 9:58pm
So England vs Germany do battle again LOL
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 9:59pm
Alex Popp Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic