Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 126>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:52am
As much as killing off meaningless friendlies was a good idea, this Nations League and playoffs setup is awful. I love a good convoluted competition, but this is just nonsense.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:56am
It makes the GAA and their back-door lunacy seem entirely logical.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:36am
I don't really agree. Even if they had used the old system of a playoff between third placed teams you'd still have had to calculate the eight best third placed teams that make the playoffs with the two worst third placed teams missing out, so there would have been a similar mathematical situation for Ireland there as well. There's no easy way to get to 24 teams unless you have eight groups with three qualifying from each - but that would mean seven team groups which were tried before (Euro 2008?) and were unpopular. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:42am
Or just have sixteen teams qualify from the groups and don’t throw it haphazardly around Europe. That would be brilliantly inventive...
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:56am
Didnt JD credit himself for coming up with the idea of expanding the Euros to 24 teams?
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Didnt JD credit himself for coming up with the idea of expanding the Euros to 24 teams?
Yup last format
**** View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

If all league A qualify automatically then the A & B playoffs will be combined with countries seeded.

Say

Bosnia, Sweden, Wales, Czech,  Turkey, Us, NI

one to come up say Bulgaria
then it would be seeded

Pot 1 Bosnia, Sweden, (both have home SF)
Pot 2 Wales, Czech  (both have home SF)
Pot 3 Turkey, Us
Pot 4 NI, Bulgaria

League A Bosnia, Czech, Turkey, Bulgaria
League B Sweden, Wales, Us, NI

They will manage with 4 hosts but 5 will cause a significant re-draw. 

Who will gengland support if we are drawn to play the North? 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Sky Sports News website.

Rep Ireland will probably not have the safety net of a playoff should they fail to finish in top 2 in their group.

And, Nations League offers no Norn Iron fallback.

Thoughts?

Soon the science will not only be able to slow down the ageing of the cells, soon the science will fix the cells to the state and so we will become eternal.
Only accidents, crimes, wars will still kill us but, unfortunately, crimes, wars will multiply. I love football. Thank you.

LOL
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:20pm
It's win win for me. We either qualify automatically which would be amazing for us, the morale in this country (doom and gloomers / bandwagoners for the egg chasing etc) and maybe for our rankings. 

Our we get a playoff in a half decent country that isn't Denmark or Wales.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm

Or just have sixteen teams qualify from the groups and don’t throw it haphazardly around Europe. That would be brilliantly inventive...

Imagine that. What a crazy notion.

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 32 countries in the Euros at some stage such is the money grab that is going on.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't really agree. Even if they had used the old system of a playoff between third placed teams you'd still have had to calculate the eight best third placed teams that make the playoffs with the two worst third placed teams missing out, so there would have been a similar mathematical situation for Ireland there as well. There's no easy way to get to 24 teams unless you have eight groups with three qualifying from each - but that would mean seven team groups which were tried before (Euro 2008?) and were unpopular. 

Ah here, are you trying to say that having 3rd placed playoffs like in the 2016 Euro qualifying campaign is as convoluted as this nations league nonsense?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:08pm
It's mad when ya think about it.
55 countries start off

20 qualify automatically
16 make the playoffs

So only 19 teams eliminated, 10 or 11 of those will be from League D. So only 8 teams from 44 really miss the playoffs
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

It's win win for me. We either qualify automatically which would be amazing for us, the morale in this country (doom and gloomers / bandwagoners for the egg chasing etc) and maybe for our rankings. 

Our we get a playoff in a half decent country that isn't Denmark or Wales.

We can't draw Denmark in the playoffs for sure.  However don't rule out another trip to Cardiff.  Wales are really struggling to qualify and most likely will have a home league B semi final.  
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Ah here, are you trying to say that having 3rd placed playoffs like in the 2016 Euro qualifying campaign is as convoluted as this nations league nonsense?

It's really not that different, you still end up following games between the likes of Kosovo and the Czech Republic because they might impact on whether we get a playoff, whether we're seeded/at home when we get there etc. The only difference is that we're more conditioned to the old playoffs system because they've been running for a few decades.

Separately, for what it's worth, I wouldn't be shocked if UEFA announced a few more tweaks to the playoff system between now and the draw in November if it suits they outcomes they'd prefer to happen. Realistically they're going to want as many host nations in the finals as possible so I wouldn't be too surprised if they seeded host nations at the last minute and gave them home semi finals and finals of the playoffs, they have previous for doing this kind of thing. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:42pm
I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. This setup could not be any more different from other qualifying campaigns we have been involved in. Just the fact that the likes of Georgia or the other lower seeded teams are guaranteed to qualify for the Euros makes it completely different. 

In the 2016 format, of course there were permutations involved, bit nothing at all like this. This is the most convoluted system I've seen in any competition in any sport. It is actually painful to attempt to work out the permutations as there are so many.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:23pm
The Kosovo manager is an interesting character.

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 32 countries in the Euros at some stage such is the money grab that is going on.

They will have to increase it to 32 once Greenland, Jersey, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Monaco gain membership.

Jersey applied last year but were rejected.
Greenland expected to formally apply soon, its only a matter of time.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

They will have to increase it to 32 once Greenland, Jersey, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Monaco gain membership.

Jersey applied last year but were rejected.
Greenland* expected to formally apply soon, its only a matter of time.

*Could be renamed Trumpton by the time they make the qualifiers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 126>
  Share Topic