You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 126>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that you could be potentially punished if you do well in this. The format says the following:

"If in any division, there are fewer than four teams which have not already qualified for the European Championship finals, the play-off berths will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the following division, etc."

So say there are two of the big boys in League A who don't qualify through normal qualifying, say Italy and France. Say then that Ireland and Sweden are the two highest ranked countries in League B. That would mean that Ireland and Sweden would have to play Italy and France while the two lower ranked teams in League B would get to play other League B teams for a place at the Euros or even potentially a team(s) from League C! It doesn't seem fair at all.

As I say, I am fully open to correction on this. Perhaps they mean that after the 4 top ranked countries from League B they would then go and take the League B teams ranked 5th and 6th to play Italy and France?

No, the way I see it is that the top 4 teams in League B (say Ireland, Wales, Turkey, Ukraine) play for 1 place at the finals guaranteed.

Italy and France would then join the the League B teams ranked 5th and 6th, then those 4 play for 1 place at the finals.

Don’t think the top 4 teams in League B will be penalized by then having to play against League A teams.
Sponsored Links

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that you could be potentially punished if you do well in this. The format says the following:

"If in any division, there are fewer than four teams which have not already qualified for the European Championship finals, the play-off berths will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the following division, etc."

So say there are two of the big boys in League A who don't qualify through normal qualifying, say Italy and France. Say then that Ireland and Sweden are the two highest ranked countries in League B. That would mean that Ireland and Sweden would have to play Italy and France while the two lower ranked teams in League B would get to play other League B teams for a place at the Euros or even potentially a team(s) from League C! It doesn't seem fair at all.

As I say, I am fully open to correction on this. Perhaps they mean that after the 4 top ranked countries from League B they would then go and take the League B teams ranked 5th and 6th to play Italy and France?

No, the way I see it is that the top 4 teams in League B (say Ireland, Wales, Turkey, Ukraine) play for 1 place at the finals guaranteed.

Italy and France would then join the the League B teams ranked 5th and 6th, then those 4 play for 1 place at the finals.

Don’t think the top 4 teams in League B will be penalized by then having to play against League A teams.

Sorry just read the very end of your post, you have it right there I think.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:22pm

Sorry just read the very end of your post, you have it right there I think.

Yeah that one puzzled me too as it wasn't clear in the press releases but I think that is what makes most sense and is the most fair do doubt it would be any different
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:31pm
Have the fixture dates been announced? Thought I saw them somewhere yesterday but can't find it now. If the September games are on the usual first weekend it's good news for the hurling fans hoping to avoid a clash and bad news for the football (of the GAA variety) fans with the All Ireland final dates being moved forward by two weeks.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

Have the fixture dates been announced? Thought I saw them somewhere yesterday but can't find it now. If the September games are on the usual first weekend it's good news for the hurling fans hoping to avoid a clash and bad news for the football (of the GAA variety) fans with the All Ireland final dates being moved forward by two weeks.

The fixture dates are Thursday 6th-Tuesday 11th September.

The match calendar for International football up to to 2024 is here.  

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:53pm
Football final on 2nd September. Hurling final before that.

It's all good.
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:09pm
Cheers lads
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:15pm
FIFA supposedly looking into a Nations League now

'UEFA leads new tournament plans'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11111808

Edited by lassassinblanc - 03 Nov 2017 at 7:17pm
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

FIFA supposedly looking into a Nations League now

'UEFA leads new tournament plans'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11111808

I was confused by the nations league before this and now, just flgive up tbh.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm
Just from a travelling prospectus if this does not capture the imagination of football fans I could see some FA's move these games to provincial cities, this could make the logistics of travelling to some cities should we draw the likes of Russia, Ukraine or Turkey a bit more challenging.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Just from a travelling prospectus if this does not capture the imagination of football fans I could see some FA's move these games to provincial cities, this could make the logistics of travelling to some cities should we draw the likes of Russia, Ukraine or Turkey a bit more challenging.

Had this same conversation with some the lads in Copenhagen. Could definitely be the cause would be to see how long before the game they confirm the venues
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:13pm
How would Czechs away in Prague in sunny September sound lads?

Edited by irishmufc - 21 Nov 2017 at 6:14pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Had this same conversation with some the lads in Copenhagen. Could definitely be the cause would be to see how long before the game they confirm the venues

Vladivostok here we come...who fancies getting the train?  ClapClapClap

Edited by colemanY2K - 21 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:42pm
I'd be optimistic in this current sea of doom and gloom that there'd be a big enough interest in the Nations League and we'd bring a good sized away following to the away games.

Our team will take it seriously and given how disappointing it was to miss the world cup, the nations league is looking a lot more promising.

We'd have a reasonable chance of qualifying via this if our main Qualifying group went tits up so at least these semi competitive games mean something more than a friendly.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

That would be almost perfect
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:33pm

sounds like a ticket panic  !
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

sounds like a ticket panic  !

We'd probably also have every Irish arsehole stag party over there on that weekend
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:14pm

Wouldn't mind if they moved it to Ostrava tbf. Plenty of other nice cities in the Czech republic other than Prague.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 126>
  Share Topic