You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uefa Financial Fair Play

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

City have reigned their spending in a lot last 3 transfer windows id have thought, no?

Wages would be the big issued i'd imagine. 
Sponsored Links

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:54am

Down with this sort of thing Thumbs Down 

Nobody will ever break up the status quo again. It will be the same teams at the top forever. Fair play me hole. The likes of City, Chelsea, PSG, Anzhi and Malaga are making football better and more competitive Thumbs Up

Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Nobody will ever break up the status quo again. It will be the same teams at the top forever. Fair play me hole. The likes of City, Chelsea, PSG, Anzhi and Malaga are making football better and more competitive Thumbs Up

Id imagine that there are a few leeds, portsmouth etc fans that might just disagree with you
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

Id imagine that there are a few leeds, portsmouth etc fans that might just disagree with you

Not to mention Rangers Billy
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Well whats the latest with this? Chelsea, city and psg seem to be flaunting millions.....how will they comply

It's the wages more than the transfer fees that will be the problem for these clubs. The transfer fees can be spread over the term of the player's contract, basically meaning a player with a 5 year contract who was bought for £25mil will only cost £5mil per year according to their accounts (presuming they leave for a free at the end of the 5 years). The wages, however, will hit their accounts as and when they are paid, which is where these clubs will struggle if they are unable to increase revenue inline with the wage bill increase. Anyway, I'm pretty certain they'll find some way around it and Platini isn't the sharpest tool in the box so I doubt he'll be able to come up with a method to prevent these clubs from taking the piss.
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:12pm

But thats the point landon city and chelsea are not making it competitive by gaining an unlimited treasure chest overnight at the stroke of a pen. theres no merit as far as im concerned to what chelsea and city achieve in my book. United worked their success from a relegation threatened club in 1986 thanks to a certain zcotsman
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

But thats the point landon city and chelsea are not making it competitive by gaining an unlimited treasure chest overnight at the stroke of a pen. theres no merit as far as im concerned to what chelsea and city achieve in my book. United worked their success from a relegation threatened club in 1986 thanks to a certain zcotsman

You will get a few nibbles with that little gemLOL

Edited by jackshat - 18 Jul 2012 at 12:15pm
It's Jack Shat
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:16pm

Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

Tis capitalism Barlow, survival of the fittest, biggest cock gets the pussy Thumbs Up

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:23pm

i wud be doubtful if this will ever be enforced, i cant see uefa banning the likes of Chelsea or Real Madrid from the champions league in the near future if they dont meet the financial criteria, plus i could see the clubs taking out a legal challenge if they did

On what basis? They are all signed up, Europe is strictly invitational and they legally have to comply with the rules of the game. They can challenge this as easily as 11 players on the park
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

i wud be doubtful if this will ever be enforced, i cant see uefa banning the likes of Chelsea or Real Madrid from the champions league in the near future if they dont meet the financial criteria, plus i could see the clubs taking out a legal challenge if they did

On what basis? They are all signed up, Europe is strictly invitational and they legally have to comply with the rules of the game. They can challenge this as easily as 11 players on the park

i wrote that 2 years ago, my views have since changed!
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:40pm

Well whats the latest with this? Chelsea, city and psg seem to be flaunting millions.....how will they comply

They seem to be dodging it with ott sponsorship deals from their owners. Most of these deals won't even make it into the press. 

The most obvious two were City renaming the stadium and United having DHL plastered all over their training gear. 
It's Jack Shat
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

You will get a few nibbles with that little gemLOL

Sssssh Dont tell anyone i said that will ya
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:48pm

It's not often I'd agree with you Landon but you're bang on the money there.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:32pm
It's a load of bollix in my opinion. If UEFA try and impose sanctions I can see the top clubs in Europe uniting to form their own league like they threatened to do in the past.

Personally I don't like what Chelsea, City or PSG etc etc are doing as it's not really fair play. How will a club like Aston Villa or Newcastle ever have the chance of winning the league in the future when this sh*te goes on.

I don't see the point of taking part in a competition that you can't win.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 2:16pm

It's a load of bollix in my opinion. If UEFA try and impose sanctions I can see the top clubs in Europe uniting to form their own league like they threatened to do in the past.

It would be fantastic Clap 

Personally I don't like what Chelsea, City or PSG etc etc are doing as it's not really fair play. How will a club like Aston Villa or Newcastle ever have the chance of winning the league in the future when this sh*te goes on.

I don't see the point of taking part in a competition that you can't win.

You need a billionaire owner to compete with heavily supported teams like Man Utd, Real Madrid and Barcelona. Thats the reality, its time to accept it. If Aston Villa and Newcastle want to compete they better get themselves a multi Billionaire owner or not blow millions on crap like when Villa did get a sugar daddy for a short period of time. Under financial "fair play" the likes of Villa and Newcastle will never be able to compete with the likes of Man Utd. It makes it impossible.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 18 Jul 2012 at 2:17pm

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

They seem to be dodging it with ott sponsorship deals from their owners. Most of these deals won't even make it into the press. 

The most obvious two were City renaming the stadium and United having DHL plastered all over their training gear. 

Yes and no. Yes, in the City's owners are intimately connected with etihad. United's owners have nothing to do with DHL. It was purely a commercial deal. Nothing fishy about it at all. Admittedly, £10m a year for training kit is an extreme case, but it is a commercial deal.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 2:32pm

They are all signed up for it. Every last one of them

This is happening. The question is enforcement - will UEFA pap Barca out of the CL over it.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 3:00pm
Just finished reading Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski, very good read. In it they say that UEFA knows that implementing the financial fair play rules will be a nightmare (just because you sign up to something doesn't mean you can't bring a case under EU laws against it by the way).

Anyway, to take the paragraphs from the book about financial fair play -

It's almost impossible to run a football club like a profit making business. This is because there will always be rival owners like the Cragnottis, the Abramoviches or the Gaddhafis who owned a chunk of Juventus. These people don't care about profits and will spend whatever it takes in the hope of winning prizes. All other club owners are forced to keep up with them.
If one owner doesn't pay large transfer fees or wages, someone else will and that someone else will get the best players and win prizes.

Big clubs like United, Real and Barcelona are not the problem, it's the lower tier teams across Europe that live on the edge of insolvency that are the main problem. Top tier teams mostly lose money too but they seldom become insolvent.

Platini should be worried about the likes of Bristol City and Portsmouth instead of Real Madrid.

If European Football clubs really did collapse beneath their debts, there would now be virtually no European football clubs left. 'We must be sustainable,' clubs say nowadays, parroting the latest business cliché. In fact they are fantastically sustainable. They survive even when they go bust. You can't get more sustainable than that. Match-fixing (say) is a much bigger problem for European football than bankruptcy. The near immortality of football clubs makes you wonder exactly what problem UEFA's rules on 'financial fair play' are meant to solve.

Platini worries about clubs' debts. But it's precisely because clubs are practically immortal that they run up such large debts. They know from experience that they can take on vast debts and survive. If things go wrong the debt simply does not get repaid, the old directors leave and new ones come in promising to sweep up the mess. A club like Bayern Munich, which shuns debt, is in fact missing a trick. Bayern could easily borrow a few hundred million euros to turn itself into the world's best team. Even if it flushed the money down the toilet and then said 'Nanananana' to the lenders, the club would survive. Right now, Bayern is  a marvelous self-sustaining debt-free business whereas most English clubs aren't. But the point of a football club isn't to have nice accounts - after all, the clubs with horrible accounts survive too. The point of a football club is to win trophies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic