FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUefa Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uefa Cup
    Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 4:53am
European football returns tonight with Everton in action in Norway against SK Brann..these boys ( Brann) finished their season in November and haven't played a competitive match since Decemeber ( theri last group game in the Uefa ). Everton should win given their better fitness and good form and wee bit of quality but Brann won the league for the first time in 44 years so don't expect them to be pushovers as this league included Rosenborg who Chelski had a bit of trouble with..my money is on the toffees to get through and hopefully get Forentina so I can go to Italy and check out Florence in case Ireland have to play Italy there in April 09..
Come on the Toffees !!!
Sponsored Links

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 5:19am
Evening 18:40 Live UEFA Cup Football SK Brann v Everton (Kick-off 7.00pm). Coverage of the last-32 match from Norway, featuring the first leg at the Brann Stadion. Everton qualified for this stage in fine style and start as favourites to progress following an impressive season, and David Moyes will be keen for his men to pick up at least one away goal to take back to Goodison Park.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 4:57pm
2 nil win, sh**engame but job done.
Justice Shark View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 6:35am
Six European wins on the Trot..bring on Forentina
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 1:20pm
Great result lads. As you say count, it was a poor game. To be fair, i thought 0-2 flattered Everton. Six european wins on the trot is some record, you have to give Moyes credit Clap

Lets hope for another good premiership win tonight

COYS

"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 1:40pm
fairly decent game on the german telly aberdeen bayern 2-2 maybury getting skinned!!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 5:02pm
good result for spurs away from home tonight Stiofain!

Was maybury pants roger?
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 10:33am

FFS, spurs didnt half make hard work of that last night after an embarrassingly easy first half, i was delighted when the final whistle went.

"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:49pm
maybury got left for dead on a few occasions count , we wont see him im the green again i'd say
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
The Special One View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 1:07pm

Who honestly cares about the UEFA Cup, Its like the 2nd division of European football... When the old format of the European and UEFA cups were in place, the UEFA CUP was fine, it was the 2nd top team in each country, whats it now, the 5th, 6th, 7th top teams in England, Spain, Italy.. Who honestly wants see these teams playing aganist the best of, Norway, Belguim, Ukraine....Etc...

I'm not trying to have a pop at any of the teams competing in the UEFA cup this year but it really is losing more and more value every season. Even the old Cup Winners Cup  format would be better then the UEFA Cup now...!!!

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 1:49pm
Agree Special One
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 5:10am
Originally posted by The Special One The Special One wrote:

Who honestly cares about the UEFA Cup, Its like the 2nd division of European football... When the old format of the European and UEFA cups were in place, the UEFA CUP was fine, it was the 2nd top team in each country, whats it now, the 5th, 6th, 7th top teams in England, Spain, Italy.. Who honestly wants see these teams playing aganist the best of, Norway, Belguim, Ukraine....Etc...

I'm not trying to have a pop at any of the teams competing in the UEFA cup this year but it really is losing more and more value every season. Even the old Cup Winners Cup  format would be better then the UEFA Cup now...!!!

Firstly, Everton for example have beaten the Russian Champions and the Norweigen Champions in this seasons UEFA Cup..Both of these sides will be automatic Champions League teams next season...
Secondly its arguably harder to win the Uefa due to the more matches that have to be played to reach the final than the Champions League final
Thirdly, the Likes of Bayern Munich, Villareal, Forientina, Everton and Spurs to name but a few can hardly be referred to as "2nd Division"
Finally, every team that qualifies for Europe has just as much right to be there as the so called G14 clubs..with the exception of Liverpool Football Club in 2005/2006 who despite finishing 5th in their domestic league went crying to the British Government in order for them to be allowed particapte in the Champions League..no doubt they'll try the same thing again this season when they come 5th or 6th
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 5:27am
I can remember a few years back the magnificent trable that Liverpool fans were shouting from the rafters about! The UEFA cup, The CARLING cup and the fa cup. how easily you forget!

well put JusticeClap
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 6:29am
I dunno what a "trable" is Count but i do recall Liverpool winning a treble. In fact, it could be argued they won a fifthouple that year - the Super Cup and Charity Shield included Big%20smile.
Having witnessed the Pool win both the Champions League and UEFA cup over the last few years, I can honestly say that winning the Champions league felt like a much much bigger achievement than the UEFA Cup considering the quality of teams they had to beat along the way. However, Everton winning the UEFA cup would be some feet for such a small club Wink
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 6:40am
There was nothing wrong with way it used to be, european cup for the league winners only and then uefa cup and cup winners cup, should be back to that format. Current format only suits d bigger clubs makin them richer and richer
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 6:56am
fifthouple ??? FFS youse are really gettin desperateLOL
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 6:57am
Secondly its arguably harder to win the Uefa due to the more matches that have to be played to reach the final than the Champions League final

I always lhave a good laugh when people make this sort of ridiculous statement, pure and utter nonsense.

It's like saying that it's harder to win the Championship than the Premiership cause there are more matches.   

There are far better teams in the Champs Leauge than the UEFA Cup, end of story.
The Champs Leaguer is way way way harder to win, no arguments.
Don't be making a clown of yourself son, jesus christ

Edited by GerKeano - 18 Feb 2008 at 6:58am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 7:11am

Depending on what draw you get, yes I believe it is arguably harder to win the UEFA Cup..The gap between the Premership and the Championship is a lot bigger than that of the Champions League and The Uefa Cup, especially this season..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic