You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Are they just playing The Joshua Tree? That is the only album they should be allowed play!
Achtung Baby is their best album. 

Agree it's the only album I can actually listen to of theirs
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Are they just playing The Joshua Tree? That is the only album they should be allowed play!

Wouldn't be for me now, some of the cheesiest faux-Americana ever written. An early example of white Irish lads trying to be black.LOL
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:48pm

Wouldn't be for me now, some of the cheesiest faux-Americana ever written. An early example of white Irish lads trying to be black.LOL
The Irish are the blacks of Europe.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:53pm
And the northside dubs are the blacks of Ireland.

Paul Hewson from Finglas is our Martin Luther King
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:54pm

Great reference.ClapClap
I just think that after the Joshua Tree is when the ****ishness started and it showed in their music. One good album and they inducted themselves into the rock & roll hall of fame with 'Rattle & Hum' and then tried to show that they could fuse the gospel, blues and funk with stadium rock on 'Achtung Baby', I think it failed but it made them more money. In fairness, 'Achtung Baby' is brilliant compared to what they did afterwards, which was effectively turn up to a studio and record themselves sh*t. I suppose at that stage it was fairly clear that anything they did would sell. 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 3:02pm
Whatever about their studio work they are a cracking live band . Up there with the best of them when it comes to live shows .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:07pm
Not a huge fan but would love to see them live
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:17pm

I saw a Bono lookalike of very dubious quality running amok with the birds in Buskers on Paddys Day about 4 years ago. 
El Puto Amo
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:19pm

Achtung baby is their most un Americana album along with Zoorpoa and Joshua tree is their most americana album.

Achtung is their most European album. Influenced by NIN, stone Roses, Berlin Bowie, Kraftwerk and others.

Edited by Baldrick - 21 Jul 2017 at 4:25pm
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:22pm

Great reference.ClapClap
I just think that after the Joshua Tree is when the ****ishness started and it showed in their music. One good album and they inducted themselves into the rock & roll hall of fame with 'Rattle & Hum' and then tried to show that they could fuse the gospel, blues and funk with stadium rock on 'Achtung Baby', I think it failed but it made them more money. In fairness, 'Achtung Baby' is brilliant compared to what they did afterwards, which was effectively turn up to a studio and record themselves sh*t. I suppose at that stage it was fairly clear that anything they did would sell. 

I think they got over their "faux americana" and in "All that you cant leave behind" and "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" produced two outstanding albums. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:23pm

Think they play all of Joshua Tree then play a greatest hits set after that

They open with fours songs which were released such as SBS, NYD, Bad and Pride, prior to the Joshua tree and then play that as it was released in order.

They then play a mix of songs which were released post Joshua tree such as one, miss Sarajevo and beautiful day and ultra violet ray etc etc.
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:24pm
personally Achtung Baby and Joshua are their two best by a long shot and then I would say Zooropa
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Achtung baby is their most un Americana album along with Zoorpoa and Joshua tree is their most americana album.

Achtung is their most European album. Influenced by NIN, stone Roses, Berlin Bowie, Kraftwerk and others.
I would disagree, apart from the first song the album is clearly influenced by southern black music, it has been a few years since I listened to it though, and with good reason!
It is worth noting that the Madchester scene was heavily influenced by soul and gospel too, although more evident in  the electronic Hacienda sound and the Mondays than in the Roses' work.

Edited by pre Madonna - 21 Jul 2017 at 6:15pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:11pm
Until the end of the world, the fly zoo station acrobat all have the European industrial music influences.

Who's gonna ride your wild horses is a classic u2 song.

Mysterious ways does have a funk influence.

So cruel has a Scott Walker influence to it.

Even better than the real thing got RE mixes to be a dance track.

The whole point of the album was go get away from the americana and roots of rattle and hum and the Joshua tree
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:16pm
While we can argue over the influences, we can all agree that it was wank. Pretentious wank.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 11:30am
So was it good lads for those that went?

No surprise with setlist. Same as Barcelona.
AKA pedantic kunt
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:08pm
My brother and nephew saw U2 at Twickenham recently and said they were quality.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

So was it good lads for those that went?

No surprise with setlist. Same as Barcelona.
with such a big catalogue on songs,they should mix things up a little. Nothing worse at a gig when you know what's coming next
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic