You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U21 European Championship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U21 European Championship
    Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:26pm
Incredible volley from Bruma there against Spain, probably edges out Asensio's for goal of the tournament so far.

Very experienced teams playing tonight. Wouldn't be surprised to see these teams meet again in the final.

Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm
Was only wondering earlier how well this exact Spanish squad would do in a senior World Cup or Euro Championship. It is a fantastic squad
El Puto Amo
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Was only wondering earlier how well this exact Spanish squad would do in a senior World Cup or Euro Championship. It is a fantastic squad

I'd expect them to get out of a group in the Euros at least. Loads of experience for such a young squad. Champions League final experience for Saul and Asensio, pretty much everyone else is a first team regular at a decent team.

Not as good as their 2013 team though which had De Gea, I.Martinez, Bartra, Koke, Isco, Thiago, Illaramendi and Morata amongst others.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:30am
Their squad is ridiculous, an under 21 side able to bring Inaki Williams and Denis Suarez off the bench to freshen things up Clap

Asensio will win the Ballon D'or in the future.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:20am
Serious talent in that Spain squad. Saul seems like he's been around for years. I remember he scored an overhead kick against Real Madrid in a 4-0 win which seems like 3 or 4 years ago. Asensio is going to be one of the best in the world. Inaki Williams isn't even starting FFS.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:02am
Some ridiculously good squads there alright.

Seen an article on Sky Sports about how Renato Sanches had fallen and is now playing u21..

Seriously English have learned nothing. Albeit he didn't have the best of seasons Sanches was eligible for the squad and Portugal brought their best squad to the tournament unlike the English who didn't include the likes of Rashford or Delle Alli.

The Italians done the same they told any player eligible to make themselves available for selection regardless of whether or not they had full caps. ditto the Germans they brought a good few players who you'd think could easily have gone to the Confederations Cup.

It's all preparation How many of the English squad will go to next year WC honestly maybe 2 Pickford and Redmond, Ward Prowse perhaps too.

If I look at the Spanish squad you'd have to say at least 4 or 5 could well be in their squad if they qualify same for the Italians and Germans.
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:14am

The two teams from last nights Spain v Portugal game could honestly beat most well established national senior teams in my opinion! and I don't mean the likes of Andorra, San Marino LOL Especially Spain's U21's...

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:38am
Just looking at the qualification for this tournament - pretty interesting. Nine groups in total (7 groups have 6 teams, 2 groups have 5 teams), all nine group winners qualify and then the four best second placed teams go into a two-legged play-off to decide the final two slots (plus Poland as hosts). I'm assuming results against the bottom teams in the groups that have 6 sides are not included.

Macedonia ended up topping a group that included France! Spain, who appear to have a completely outrageous squad, only managed to come 2nd in their group to Sweden. They then only qualified by virtue of away goals having drawn 1-1 away to Austria and then drawn 0-0 at home to them.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Some ridiculously good squads there alright.

Seen an article on Sky Sports about how Renato Sanches had fallen and is now playing u21..

Seriously English have learned nothing. Albeit he didn't have the best of seasons Sanches was eligible for the squad and Portugal brought their best squad to the tournament unlike the English who didn't include the likes of Rashford or Delle Alli.

The Italians done the same they told any player eligible to make themselves available for selection regardless of whether or not they had full caps. ditto the Germans they brought a good few players who you'd think could easily have gone to the Confederations Cup.

It's all preparation How many of the English squad will go to next year WC honestly maybe 2 Pickford and Redmond, Ward Prowse perhaps too.

If I look at the Spanish squad you'd have to say at least 4 or 5 could well be in their squad if they qualify same for the Italians and Germans.

Has regressed significantly over the past year, and has looked poor in both of their games so far, I've been really impressed with his midfield partner Ruben Nevas.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm

Maybe it's not that simple.

For the 2015 Finals, the FA insisted England include their best players, even against the wishes of Hodgson and their club managers. Their squad included: Butland, Jenkinson, Stones, Ward-Prowse, Kane, Redmond, M.Keane, Lingaard, Ings and Chambers, all of whom had, or went on to gain, full England caps.

They won one game and lost two, finishing bottom of their Group, and several of the players (most notably Kane) were clearly "overworked" by the start of the following season.

And some of the squad who played, most notably Rueben Loftus-Cheek, can hardly be said to have furthered their career by dint of their participation.

Meanwhile, to take your example of Dele Alli this time round. He played 55 games by the end of the EPL season which was completed on 21st May. He then went with Spurs on a two match tour of the Far East. He then came back to play two senior England games on 10th and 13th June. He reports back for pre-season training with Spurs some time in early July, before embarking on a 3 match tour of North America, from 22nd to 29th July. The new EPL season then starts on 12th August. Alli only turned 21 in April.

Meanwhile, Rashford played rather fewer games last season, but I imagine his schedule with MU is similar. And he's still only 19.

Of course both might well have benefited from playing out in Poland, but these are fine decisions, which need to be applied individually, not across the board. Meanwhile, their replacements will surely have benefited in their place.

Edited by Territorial - 21 Jun 2017 at 4:08pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

For the 2015 Finals, the FA insisted England include their best players, even against the wishes of Hodgson and their club managers. Their squad included: Butland, Jenkinson, Stones, Ward-Prowse, Kane, Redmond, M.Keane, Lingaard, Ings and Chambers, all of whom had, or went on to gain, full England caps.

They won one game and lost two, finishing bottom of their Group, and several of the players (most notably Kane) were clearly "overworked" by the start of the following season.

And some of the squad who played, most notably Rueben Loftus-Cheek, can hardly be said to have furthered their career by dint of their participation.

Meanwhile, to take your example of Dele Alli this time round. He played 55 games by the end of the EPL season which was completed on 21st May. He then went with Spurs on a two match tour of the Far East. He then came back to play two senior England games on 10th and 13th June. He reports back for pre-season training with Spurs some time in early July, before embarking on a 3 match tour of North America, from 22nd to 29th July. The new EPL season then starts on 12th August. Alli only turned 21 in April.

Meanwhile, Rashford played rather fewer games last season, but I imagine his schedule with MU is similar. And he's still only 19.

Of course both might well have benefited from playing out in Poland, but these are fine decisions, which need to be applied individually, not across the board. Meanwhile, their replacements will surely have benefited in their place.

Rashford played 53 games for United this season more than any other player, delighted he didn't play in the under 21 tournament.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 4:54pm
He did in his bollox play 53 games for United this season
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 4:55pm
There are some strange comments re Renato Sanchez, he wasn't even a first team regular going into the start of the 15/16 season in Portugal.

He won a move to Bayern before he even kicked a ball at Euro 2016 (where he shone) so they identified his talent after no more than 6 months playing with Benfica's first team.

Sanchez had to break into one of the world best midfield's at Bayern, for a very raw 19 year who wasn't guaranteed a run of games to show his true worth of course there was going to be a big chance he might struggle in his first season there. 

I would put his season at Bayern as a learning curve, I certainly wouldn't say ability wise he has regressed. 

It's definitely more beneficially to him being in Poland with the under 21's than with the senior team because he is guaranteed game time and also he was excellent when he came on against Serbia, bagged an assist too. 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Rashford played 53 games for United this season more than any other player, delighted he didn't play in the under 21 tournament.
Crikey! Hadn't realised it was so many.

But even if most of those were from the bench (as per Bhob), it still reinforces my point about overplaying young players.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:29pm

But even if most of those were from the bench (as per Bhob), it still reinforces my point about overplaying young players.

Whatever about winding up Liverpool, Fergie made that point in reference to Michael Owen who agreed that he played way too many games when he first broke into the Liverpool side.

I'd say Mourinho would've been seething if Rashford had to play in it.

Slightly off topic but Rashford and Delle Ali were on the beach in that Scotland game. Very poor showing from both of them.

Edited by irishmufc - 21 Jun 2017 at 6:31pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Whatever about winding up Liverpool, Fergie made that point in reference to Michael Owen who agreed that he played way too many games when he first broke into the Liverpool side.

I'd say Mourinho would've been seething if Rashford had to play in it.

Slightly off topic but Rashford and Delle Ali were on the beach in that Scotland game. Very poor showing from both of them.

Southgate had England set up all wrong imo, far too conservative given the level of opposition.

Playing Jake Livermore on the wing and starting Dier when there was no need and it hampered England big time from an attacking point of view thus limiting the impact of Rashford/Alli.

Given how 3-5-2 is very much an in formation nowadays, it would allow Rashford to be paired with Kane and have Alli playing just off both when England are attacking.

Imagine if those 3 clicked, potentially devastating Shocked

Edited by Green Devil - 21 Jun 2017 at 6:47pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:26pm

After season tours have slowly crept in the last few seasons and they wonder why national team players look jaded?!It's a ridiculous concept and another modern idea that shows money is the be all and end all in footballDead
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:30am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

He did in his bollox play 53 games for United this season

Played 32 PL games, 11 Europe League games, 6 EFL cup games, 3 FA Cup games and 1 appearance in the community shield.

That's 53 games Bhob.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic