You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Twitter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:17pm
I use twitter for news and to see old clips from Alan Partridge shows but jesus the place is absolutely toxic. I don't know how people can devote so much energy into it. You'd get anxious reading some of the threads on it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I use twitter for news and to see old clips from Alan Partridge shows but jesus the place is absolutely toxic. I don't know how people can devote so much energy into it. You'd get anxious reading some of the threads on it.
I use it for similar. It must be the only place where a Simpsons clip is followed by a racist rant, then Zidane's best touches and someone having a mild mental breakdown. Too much of that would do nobody any good.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I use it for similar. It must be the only place where a Simpsons clip is followed by a racist rant, then Zidane's best touches and someone having a mild mental breakdown. Too much of that would do nobody any good.

Sounds like some of the places I have had a drink in πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
AKA pedantic kunt
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

At least you know the person who's saying it if it's in person. Really needs to be some kind of internet id for people so if what's said by an account can be associated with a person. 

Edited by seanyshuffler - 12 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 10:27am

Lunatics are far more enjoyable and better for your well-being down the pub.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 11:32am

Lunatics are far more enjoyable and better for your well-being down the pub.

Exactly that’s the issue with social media. People tend to avoid people they disagree with or if they do interact it’s usually full of vitriol or shade.  Whereas in real life in general if you are a bar and someone is saying something you disagree with, most people either ignore or interact in a respectful way.  

One of the joys and benefits of being a man is that you can go into a bar on your own and end up having a great night and interacting with strangers and lunatics that you would not normally be chatting to.  Unfortunately that is a joy that 99% of women cannot really experience.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

That's all I could see online about. There isn't much because she doesn't seem to be somebody many people are that interested in. From what I can gather, she seems to be one of those people who has a reasonable Twitter following from spending a lot of time on Twitter. She probably has a podcast about what she says on Twitter too, as is the fashion.

There was paragraphs from his book going around dismissing comparisons between Islamophobia and antisemitism because Islam isn't a race and the Nazis wouldn't have cared about his atheism. I think that attitude is deliberately dangerous. To even write such a book at all he should be apologising for his past actions in this regard. Blackface in the 90s was no more acceptable than it is now.
He is also happy to play his part in conflating pro-Palestinian sentiment with antisemitism too. He was happy to weaponise the pronunciation of 'Weinstein'  to try and destroy Corbyn, undermining genuine antisemitism there too.
And because he is a cuddly comedian, of some sort, he gets to be promoted by both the liberal wing of the media and the right wing. He is essentially using the culture war that has been created around antisemitism to make money.
It was the pronunciation of Epstein not Weinstein that Corbyn was called anti-Semitic over, not that it matters

He was also called anti-Semitic over saying he liked Dickens' A Christmas Carol

I agree what Baddiel did in the 90s was horrible and he was representative of a horrible "laddish" culture, I suspect he wanted to fit in with whiteness so embraced some of the worst aspects of that culture

I haven't read his book and it seems you haven't either so I would be extremely wary of jumping in and calling it a cynical money making exercise, anti-Semitism as a subject is an entirely valid one

That said from the bit I have seen of his views on Twitter I suspect I would have quite a few disagreements with him

Peter Beinart, who is Jewish himself, is one of the best writers on the subject in my experience, he has a very honest and nuanced take on it
I read it this morning and I did enjoy it and he got his core point across well and backed it up. There's a blind spot on the left that shouldn't be there and we kind of forget Jewish fears based on recent history. No issues there.

The dismissive comments about Islamophobia weren't from the book either, he dealt with the subject very well in fact. I did find a couple of contradictions that irked though. His comparison of the "Y word", as he calls it to P**i and the 'N word'. I think the comparison with the former is fair enough, not with the latter and that isn't because antisemitism is a lesser racism, but just that the history isn't there. From what I can see online there isn't even a consensus amongst Jews about it, which is there about the 'N word'. I wouldn't be using it, I agree Spurs shouldn't be using it, no matter how well meaning, but it isn't the same. In fact, I would think, and so it would seem do a lot of Jews online, that words like the 'K word' are far more vitriolic. 

He also said he was one of the few Jews who were well known for being Jewish, and then listed people who were famous British Jews who didn't make a song and dance about it and included Robert Popper. Popper is best known for writing 'Friday Night Dinner', as Jewish a programme as the title implies and which he discusses later in the book in dealing with 'Jewface', similar to 'Blackface' and of which he is correct too and something I wouldn't have considered before. 

These complaints are minor, there are a couple more of a similar irk, but his points unquestionably hold up over all. He certainly made me think differently about a few things, but his continued inability to apologise for his own past sins while criticising others isn't the 'whataboutery' he claims it is. It may well be used as such, but it often just makes him appear to have a blind spot and the hypocrisy he rightly accuses others of. He talks of the Roald Dahl society and their apology for his vile racism towards Jews being tucked away in a dark corner of their website, but there's still no proper apology from him about his and that is undoing his own good work.

The worst thing about Baddiel is that I want to like him. I grew up with Fantasy Football and he thought a younger me that not all England fans were chair chucking racists. I think if I met him, I would enjoy his company. I don't think he is a great comedian, but he is an intelligent man, broadly progressive, and a decent writer. All that just makes his own stubborn refusal to admit his sins more infuriating. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic