You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March
    Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 11:59am
Irish squad to be named Thursday, hopefully a lot of new players will be brought in for the game and we kickstart a badly needed new era

think the game kicks offs at 19.30 our time ?? Prob on Eir Sport
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:06pm
5:30 our time 7:30 Turkish time afaik
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm
I'll give up all hope in progressing under O'Neill if Rice, Browne, Maguire and Hogan don't play at least 45 minutes in this one.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I'll give up all hope in progressing under O'Neill if Rice, Browne, Maguire and Hogan don't play at least 45 minutes in this one.

I'd go as far to say it's the most important squad selection of the O'Neill era. He's lost a large proportion of the fan base and if there happens to be little to no new faces then those fans will stay lost.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm
Will he be naming his 45 man squad or the real squad?

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm
There will not be a lot of changes.

He will pick the usual players, without Hoolahan and Murphy and a couple of additions like Rice and maybe a couple more.

Ultimately he will be picking the best players available to him.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:10pm
John O'Shea, Glenn Whelan and Aiden McGeady haven't seem to have found the sense to retire as of yet.... I hope MON has the balls to make the decision for them
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:22pm
What the fans want - about 8 new faces with 4 new caps

What the fans will get - about 4 new faces with 2 new caps

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

John O'Shea, Glenn Whelan and Aiden McGeady haven't seem to have found the sense to retire as of yet.... I hope MON has the balls to make the decision for them

Basically, the players you don't like?

You could add Long, Walters, Westwood, McShane, Randolph, and Ward to your list while you are at it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm

It may seem like sense for them to retire,in your opinion, but, despite their limitations, who is better than them, or even potentially better than them, that can be selected?

Edited by pre Madonna - 04 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:35pm
ROI section can be as bad the ROTW section at times.

Dont you dare criticise my favourite players craic

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
Tbf to O'Shea, I'm not sure there's a need for him to even announce his retirement. McGeady easily has one, and possibly even two, campaigns left to give; and Whelan may be kept around as back-up.

Edited by The O'Shea - 04 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
Whelan deserves his place in the squad but we will learn absolutely nothing by having him on the pitch in Antalya. John O'Shea on the other hand well I'm not sure if he still can offer anything at this stage of his career and if the rumour of his move to Waterford shortly that should seal his international retirement.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm

Whelan deserves his place in the squad but we will learn absolutely nothing by having him on the pitch in Antalya. John O'Shea on the other hand well I'm not sure if he still can offer anything at this stage of his career and if the rumour of his move to Waterford shortly that should seal his international retirement.
Not specifically Whelan, but we will learn even less by throwing a rookie team out there and they will learn even less again.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:16pm
I'm not saying a rookie team. Hogan and Maguire 45 mins each, Rice and Browne 45 mins each. That will do nicely. I'm sure there will be withdrawal's from the squad anyway.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:22pm

Being honest, I don't think there is any need for them to retire. Either they should be selected on merit, or left out to prove themselves worthy of a place in the team. Whelan has been out of a high functioning Villa team, while O'Shea and McGeady have been in a dysfunctional Sunderland team. That doesn't speak well for any of them, but that shouldn't mean they have to retire.

Notwithstanding, I would like to see a number of new faces in the friendly matches. Rice has been playing regular PL football, Doherty has been integral to a very good Wolverhampton team, Hogan and Maguire have been scoring in the Championship, Hourihane has been important in Villa's revival. Browne has been very impressive in a strong PNE team, and I would like to see more of him. Equally, as Alan Judge gets stronger, I would like to see him given a chance to impress.

But that doesn't mean that we should toss the spine of the team. I appreciate that Walters, Brady, and McCarthy are injured, but with luck they will return quickly. Randolph is best placed to continue as keeper. Shane Long isn't scoring to the extent we would like, but he has contributed to Southampton's cause in other ways, and perhaps will be able to rediscover his form.

I think this is an important period for the team, and these games should be used to develop the most balanced and capable squad we have.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not specifically Whelan, but we will learn even less by throwing a rookie team out there and they will learn even less again.

Totally agree. The 5-1 defeat to Denmark is not our level. That result is not a reason to toss a wholesale amount of players. We need to incrementally develop new players, within the context of established players.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm

I'm not saying a rookie team. Hogan and Maguire 45 mins each, Rice and Browne 45 mins each. That will do nicely. I'm sure there will be withdrawal's from the squad anyway.
I'm not sure that deciding substitutions be for the game begins is helpful either, although regularly done with international friendlies; a large part of what has made them so meaningless. I think we will learn more from players getting a real chance to stake a claim for the future.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
  Share Topic